Isle of Pride

11 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

How else do you get the message across that plenty of trans people end up with medical issues as a result of water retention, to avoid the bathroom conflict?

Well I've heard it all now. Are you taking the piss? There are other ways of highlighting an issue without resorting to extreme and disgusting measures. You'll notice they fucked-off before the cops arrived, surely a vigorous, publicised arrest by some burly coppers (suitably attired in a haz-mat suits no doubt) would've added to the drama? 

3 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Of course, no homosexual has ever caused themselves to be in great anguish by trying to live as as a heterosexual.

This is such a poor equivalence. Why bring homosexuality into it, what's its link to this event? 

Turing was chemically castrated for being homosexual, not that long later, we see that as being as barbaric as it was.

So were many other men. In this, respect Turing was nothing special. You're just name-dropping in a vain attempt to give your post added virtue, to shape your argument, embroidering it with victimhood in an attempt to make your point unchallengable. It's a familiar tactic. 

Why would a trans person be any different?

Well...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, quilp said:

Well I've heard it all now. Are you taking the piss? There are other ways of highlighting an issue without resorting to extreme and disgusting measures. You'll notice they fucked-off before the cops arrived, surely a vigorous, publicised arrest by some burly coppers (suitably attired in a haz-mat suits no doubt) would've added to the drama?

Ha. Taking the piss. Good one.

People have been trying the sensible route for the longest of times, but 'trans panic' sells tabloids and gets news clicks on website. There's good money in getting people angry about something.

13 minutes ago, quilp said:

This is such a poor equivalence. Why bring homosexuality into it, what's its link to this event? 

So were many other men. In this, respect Turing was nothing special. You're just name-dropping in a vain attempt to give your post added virtue, to shape your argument, embroidering it with victimhood in an attempt to make your point unchallengable. It's a familiar tactic.

Not that long ago, homosexuality too was seen as a mental illness. And in quite a few places, still is. Vietnam for example, only recognised last month that it is not a mental illness. Even within parts of the EU, professionals believe homosexuality to be something you can 'catch'. https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra_uploads/fra-2016-lgbt-public-officials_en.pdf

In the USA, a country that would argue themselves at the forefront of the Western world, conversion therapy is not banned in 50% of the states.

Actually, I'm pointing out Turing because it is a name people are familiar with, and people recognise him for his achievements, and not just his sexuality. Giving the number of people that suffered similar treatment dehumanises it, and allows the reader to distance themselves from the reality of something that was tantamount to a lifelong torture. In some cases, as in Turing's, an unbearable one to the point of suicide.

Bear in mind, the suicide rate amongst trans people is around 2x higher than that of LGB people. LGB people themselves are 5-7 times more likely to attempt suicide over heterosexual people.

https://www.suicideinfo.ca/resource/sexual-minorities-fact-sheet/

https://www.suicideinfo.ca/resource/transgender-people-suicide/

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Provoking disgust can be a core part of art and protest, two areas which can be quite strongly interlinked. 

How else do you get the message across that plenty of trans people end up with medical issues as a result of water retention, to avoid the bathroom conflict?

never mind the poor minimum wage worker who has to clean up after these idiots.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

So presumably now we’ll see a new pride committee actually made up of LGBTQIA+ people rather than yummy mummies with too much time on their hands? 

You and I have very different definitions of “yummy mummies” 

Anyway, this is good news as far as I can see.  Get some new blood in, people who actually care rather than people who want to be seen to seem to care.

36 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

DDEB9565-1467-45F2-914D-586CDA43777E.jpeg

At the end of the day I read this as very good news. I’m sure we’ll see actual gay people and members of the queer community on the board of a committee representing the interests of the gay and queer community. Rather than this which is the equivalent of a pubs darts team, a few of whom actually enjoy playing darts. 

https://www.isleofpride.im/meet-the-team/

Edited by Newsdesk
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

At the end of the day I read this as very good news. I’m sure we’ll see actual gay people and members of the queer community on the board of a committee representing the interests of the gay and queer community. Rather than this which is the equivalent of a pubs darts team, a few of whom actually enjoy playing darts. 

https://www.isleofpride.im/meet-the-team/

But they might feel strongly affiliated to the darts community 😂