Isle of Pride

42 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

You and I have very different definitions of “yummy mummies” 

Anyway, this is good news as far as I can see.  Get some new blood in, people who actually care rather than people who want to be seen to seem to care.

No, people who actually experience the issues. 

13 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Rather than people who strongly feel affiliated to the issues. 

Not necessarily, but there can be a mix. I do not understand what it is really like to be LGBTQ+. I try to understand but I am not 'there'.  However,  I would be happy to contribute but I could not be definitive as it is not in my experience and really is a supportive input any more valuable than a direct experience?

I am not in the camp of knitting rainbows, but rather in the camp of seeing how these things affect people close to me. 

• Like 3

I heard the decision had been taken way back in early September.

I don’t know how IoP directors/trustees came to self select. They were good at what they did, what they organised.

But I couldn’t see any real community link ( is there an LGBTQIA+ community? Or are there many, disparate, conflicting communities? ).

Think they were shaken and upset by the trans/police presence protest. They didn’t handle it well. Took it personally.

Don't think they understood Pride as a political, protest and campaigning event, as well as a carnival and fun event.

Not sure they actually raised anything for LGBTQIA+ causes.

They did make a political expression, against protest and freedom of speech, and in favour of Gary Roberts statement that wasn’t an apology.

Not sure what their validation was for any of that. Did they take any soundings, consult with anyone?

Having put Alan Shea on a pedestal in 2021 he turned on them in late August 2022.

At the end they were describing Alan as impossible and the trans as vicious. They couldn’t continue.

CED29A45-A290-4B7A-964B-9BD73938D8C3.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gladys said:

Not necessarily, but there can be a mix. I do not understand what it is really like to be LGBTQ+. I try to understand but I am not 'there'.  However,  I would be happy to contribute but I could not be definitive as it is not in my experience and really is a supportive input any more valuable than a direct experience?

I am not in the camp of knitting rainbows, but rather in the camp of seeing how these things affect people close to me. 

Too much camping there, Gladys.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Appears to be a bunch of bigoted twats protesting about a bunch of bigoted twats. 

The outcome of this is as expected. The Pride Committee just seemed to be a load of general busybodies more concerned with courting corporate sponsorship than having much knowledge or awareness of the LGBTQ ++++++++ community. It was never going to end well. 

So would I be right in thinking or remembering some of the Pride team were MHK's and Ministers? if so it's probably their political correctness that has had something to do with the ending of it.

Maybe with them removed the Pride community can hopefully regroup with non political members and hopefully not with politicians, especially those associated with the IOM Constabulary!

38 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

So would I be right in thinking or remembering some of the Pride team were MHK's and Ministers? if so it's probably their political correctness that has had something to do with the ending of it.

It looks like the above link posted has now gone dead when you click it. I thought Claire Bettison was on there. 

I haven't contributed to this thread before.

There is a real issue when people get involved with a cause because it is / they are 'right on'.  We have seen many examples around the world where women's champions are actually men.

So if this committee was in significant part well-meaning straight folk, it could never end well really.

I advocate parades, festivals and parties replete with pink dogs!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Boo Gay'n said:

So if this committee was in significant part well-meaning straight folk, it could never end well 

Without wanting to sound awful, or risk a ban, I’m sure that a few people thought that KPMG etc were more likely to engage with some ‘middle class heterosexual charity professionals’ than they would be with some angry trannies. That seems to be the only pitch. Most places have CSR policies that these middle class chuggers exploit.