Isle of Pride

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

You're right. Hence why I don't get involved in any debates on Facebook anymore. Not worth losing your job because someone takes offence to something you said. 

Or someone internally at a high rank goes trawling through all your personal social media pages picking fault and trying to make an issue that isn’t actually there. 

‘Not bullying’ though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Dunno why we bother with a mental health service when you can diagnose people from one still image :)

(I've met Kerri. Aside from when people are being knobheads, she's always seemed pretty happy to me)

Perhaps she took offence with the interviewer? She could have smiled, at least she was getting airtime, both on video and radio interview. There are some people on this island that have many issues (and there are many who don’t get a look in) and would relish an interview with the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece, to highlight their issues. There are also some unfashionable issues which are not brought to the public’s attention. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Or someone internally at a high rank goes trawling through all your personal social media pages picking fault and trying to make an issue that isn’t actually there. 

‘Not bullying’ though.

It’s becoming fashionable by some organisations. Sports stars and celebrities have been caught out by past mistakes, their own stupidity and arrogance, but mistakes come back to haunt. 

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps she took offence with the interviewer? She could have smiled, at least she was getting airtime, both on video and radio interview. There are some people on this island that have many issues (and there are many who don’t get a look in) and would relish an interview with the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece, to highlight their issues. There are also some unfashionable issues which are not brought to the public’s attention. 

It was a still of a video, (or in D A terms a snapshot) it just caught an expression - we have all had the unfortunate photo, have we not?  If you watch the interview, she is a positive person discussing quite a difficult issue.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Did you watch the video? Plenty of the video they're both smiling. What a strange take.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Did you watch the video? Plenty of the video they're both smiling. What a strange take.

I must confess I didn't actually watch it myself until now, I just saw the link on Facebook earlier and thought it was a really weird still for Manx Radio to have chosen.

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

It is temporary paint that is VOC free, vegan, cruelty free, non toxic and will be washed off next week.

Sounds like shit paint. Why didn’t they use proper toxic, tested on animals, big bollocks man’s paint?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

‘Not bullying’ though.

hypothetically speaking

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

why do you have to smile when being interviewed?

you think she should be toothy grinning and grateful to be given a chance to be interviewed?

what a bizarre view

• Like 2

Heard Alan Shea on Manx Radio this morning and it got me thinking that it's time that Government made a formal apology to the man for the way he was treated in the 1980s. There is precedent for it. My memories of the time are fairly sketchy and I was off-Island while much was going on but I do recall that it was a dark time in the Island's recent history. Perhaps others could remind us what he went through better than me...

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Heard Alan Shea on Manx Radio this morning and it got me thinking that it's time that Government made a formal apology to the man for the way he was treated in the 1980s. There is precedent for it. My memories of the time are fairly sketchy and I was off-Island while much was going on but I do recall that it was a dark time in the Island's recent history. Perhaps others could remind us what he went through better than me...

was he the guy that outed Alan Bell without his permission? Plus didn't the government give an apology for the way they treated them?

Edited by Peter Layman

22 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There were many people involved, but none so publicly as Alan. But they all played their part and all suffered, including those who were abused, went to prison or those who died.

I’m pleased that Pride is going ahead tomorrow and has such a high profile and has attracted sponsorship and support island wide.

I keep seeing snippets. The big thing that concerns me is that the LGBTQIA+ community appears to itself be forgetting those who

Marched with NALGAY in 1983 along the prom to Tynwald

Set up, and for 20 years ran,  the Carrey Friend phone line, counselling and support group, with social events, safer sex training, leaflets for Drs Surgeries.

Organised World AIDS day events and fundraising.

Organised social events and public pride events.

The people who set up Ellan Vannin Gay Group, The Ghennal Walking Group, Manx Rainbow.

The volunteers and participants in the Manx LGBT Oral History Project.

• Like 1