Isle of Pride

5 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

was he the guy that outed Alan Bell without his permission? Plus didn't the government give an apology for the way they treated them?

AB outed himself. There have been apologies of sorts, but not agreed terms, and not by the police for their behaviour, pretty police, agent provocateurs, covert observation and filming, and threats that caused more than one person arrested for minor offences committing suicide.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

AB outed himself. There have been apologies of sorts, but not agreed terms, and not by the police for their behaviour, pretty police, agent provocateurs, covert observation and filming, and threats that caused more than one person arrested for minor offences committing suicide.

Watching that clip and that is what Alan Shea states. No apology yet from the police.

8 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

Watching that clip and that is what Alan Shea states. No apology yet from the police.

I don’t think he will get an apology from the Chief Cuntstable either. HRH The Chief Minister can easily make an apology, he is on his way out of office and politics, and before the high profile event on Saturday it would seem churlish of him not to have done so. The police meanwhile won’t apologise, they will keep saying they followed the law and did what needed to be done. As long as the police keep behaving as they do, this island will continue to have a ‘them and us’ attitude. Apologise, make it wholesome and genuine, then society can move on.

Even in 2021 this Island is still very much stuck in a time warp, influenced by Holy Joe’s, outside opinions, various authority figures and weird MHK/MLC personal views. This affects many aspects of island life. Whilst the adjacent isle and devolved administrations are constantly changing and evolving, and legislation created where necessary, this island has to fight, hold marches, and raise petitions before any debate is raised. Also in many cases where negative publicity ensues, this administration caves in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I don’t think he will get an apology from the Chief Cuntstable either. HRH The Chief Minister can easily make an apology, he is on his way out of office and politics, and before the high profile event on Saturday it would seem churlish of him not to have done so. The police meanwhile won’t apologise, they will keep saying they followed the law and did what needed to be done. As long as the police keep behaving as they do, this island will continue to have a ‘them and us’ attitude. Apologise, make it wholesome and genuine, then society can move on.

Even in 2021 this Island is still very much stuck in a time warp, influenced by Holy Joe’s, outside opinions, various authority figures and weird MHK/MLC personal views. This affects many aspects of island life. Whilst the adjacent isle and devolved administrations are constantly changing and evolving, and legislation created where necessary, this island has to fight, hold marches, and raise petitions before any debate is raised. Also in many cases where negative publicity ensues, this administration caves in.

When I was a member of the IOM Constabulary Inclusion and Diversity Group the indication was given that an apology would be forthcoming.

I, and a police liaison, were tasked to bring the two sides together and try and agree wording.

LGBTQIA+ side wouldn’t meet if it wasn’t the CC and a complete cave in to their demands. 

The apology is there to be had. They just need to sit down and talk. Pigheadedness on both sides.

• Like 1

Well said 2112. It's not enough that the Police say that they were only following the law. It's not strictly true. The Police at that time were very much part of the Manx law making process as well, with a very vocal and influential Chief Constable. That needs to be recognised.

Very different of course in the U.K. I think we're in a much better place now and Gary Roberts seems to be on the right side of the law - the policing side.

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

When I was a member of the IOM Constabulary Inclusion and Diversity Group the induction was given that an apology would be forthcoming.

I, and a police liaison, we’re tasked to bring the two sides together and try and agree wording.

LGBTQIA+ side wouldn’t meet if it wasn’t the CC and a complete cave in to their demands. 

The apology is there to be had. They just need to sit down and talk. Pigheadedness on both sides.

It seems the issue is not on the Police side.  The other side won't engage unless it's the CC and it's their demands that have to be met? They're the issue surely?

18 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It seems the issue is not on the Police side.  The other side won't engage unless it's the CC and it's their demands that have to be met? They're the issue surely?

So their way or the highway. As per John's post, unless they were sending in a cadet to apologise, I don't see the problem.

If the acts committed back then were committed today, would they still constitute the same criminal offence, or a different criminal offence or no criminal offence now?   

My recollection, jogged by what Mr Shea said in the Paul Moulton interview, talking about Douglas Promenade, is he was alluding to activities committed in public toilets.  If my assumption is correct, had those activities occurred in private, would any criminal offences have been committed?        

On 6/9/2021 at 4:28 PM, John Wright said:

Serious answer.

FYI: The paint has been donated by Co-op Isle of Man and Pokerstars with the labour donated by Buchanan & Pitts. It is temporary paint that is VOC free, vegan, cruelty free, non toxic and will be washed off next week.

Hope that helps.

This is the answer I was looking for after seeing a picture of the Villa today, it looks absolutely hideous painted in rainbow colours, glad to see it’s only temporary, good to see them hosting a pride festival all the same  though.

On 6/11/2021 at 10:43 AM, Mysteron said:

If the acts committed back then were committed today, would they still constitute the same criminal offence, or a different criminal offence or no criminal offence now?   

My recollection, jogged by what Mr Shea said in the Paul Moulton interview, talking about Douglas Promenade, is he was alluding to activities committed in public toilets.  If my assumption is correct, had those activities occurred in private, would any criminal offences have been committed?        

The act of buggery was illegal back then. In fact as the new Sexual Offences Act hasn't had royal assent yet it still comes under the term "unnatural offences". 

So to answer your question buggery between consenting adults over the age of 16 is no longer illegal so it would be a different offence if they were caught in a public toilet now.

Screenshot_20210612-205026_Drive.jpg