COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

3 hours ago, Rog said:

Let's open a thread maybe titled something along the lines of two views about Margaret Thatcher?

Re Belgrano.  I have a personal interest in this because I had a now sadly late friend on the Conquerer who sorta hinted that the circumstances would eventually emerge but would never say more.  I later learned this was because of the thirty year rule.

When a book, "The Silent Listener: British Electronic Surveillance Falklands" was published I bought it having read the notes that accompanied the 

announcement and was very happy to have laid out a few quid. 

I just checked and it's still in print and can be bought from Amazon.

If you're interested in FACTS and not spin then I really recommend you get hold of it. I think it'll be an eye opener for you and maybe others.

I hate to admit it, but looks like you might be right about something. I bet you backed Argentina at the time though. 

28 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

I hate to admit it, but looks like you might be right about something. I bet you backed Argentina at the time though. 

Back Argentina?  With the role they played in ghosting Nazis out of Germany via Vatican passports?

Err, that'll be a definite no. 

The Argies offered the safe haven, but the ratlines that got them out were mostly run by catholic clergy. New research is claiming 12,000 nazis escaped to Argentina and that they deposited vast sums in Swiss banks.  What do you have to say about Thatchers friend Pinochet and the Nazis he protected? 

Edited by Freggyragh

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

The Argies offered the safe haven, but the ratlines that got them out were mostly run by catholic clergy. New research is claiming 12,000 nazis escaped to Argentina and that they deposited vast sums in Swiss banks.  What do you have to say about Thatchers friend Pinochet and the Nazis he protected? 

What on earth attracted Thatcher to mass murderer Pinochet?

Roger doubtless knows of an alternative reality that explains it.

Like most things....

I was afraid that Woody’s mockery of my question on Wednesday was a #Woodyprediction. The fact is, we don’t have the ICU capabilities of other European countries and if ever there was a time to work together it is now, so:

when it might be better to think about rationing, emergency hospital building and rejoining all European agencies connected with healthcare and medical supplies?

10 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Thatcher was good - but by God she wasn't perfect.  I was equally appalled regarding her policy on South Africa.

Rationing of food, medicines and household products, hospital building or at least expanding ICU facilities and respiratory care capabilities, recruitment of extra medical staff, production and distribution of testing kits - all this needs to be happening now. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

What was her policy, I was too young to be actively interested when Thatcher was in charge.

In essence do as little as possible to affect the status quo.

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

Rationing of food, medicines and household products, hospital building or at least expanding ICU facilities and respiratory care capabilities, recruitment of extra medical staff, production and distribution of testing kits - all this needs to be happening now. 

#snowflakearmageddon

Nadine Dories has got it. She met with the dickhead prime minister at a Number 10 reception a few days ago, and been working in Parliament and the Dept of Health and Social for the past week. 
Seems he really meant it when the dickhead said ‘one of the theories is, that perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease, as it were, to move through the population, without taking as many draconian measures’.