COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

59 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I know the average man on the street doesn’t really give a toss about such trivial things as the dire financial consequences to future generations perpetuated by the Covid pandemic but this IMF graphic is really quite alarming.

There are some truly horrific times coming. I’m glad I’ll not be around to witness it.

Anyone else reading about the third night of rioting in the Netherlands over lockdown restrictions? 

No, you wouldn’t - it’s not being widely reported in the MSM.

The riots in the Netherlands are being reported throughout the MSM.

Maybe this financial crisis will make us realise that the "money" is just an idea.  We accept it as a means for doing business and trade but really there would be nothing stopping world Governments coming together and figuring out a way of dealing with these debts in a sensible way that would not cause hardship.

The problem is that the wealthy capitalists who will have taken advantage of this crisis to further line their pockets will not want that to happen and given that they are often the people who fund political parties....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Good ... nice to see the movement is gaining some traction.

Are you suggesting that we should all go out and riot?  Smashing windows, looting, causing damage is hardly going to help the economic crisis is it?  Unless of course you have a business that replaces windows and the other damage caused by rioting....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

The riots in the Netherlands are being reported throughout the MSM.

Maybe this financial crisis will make us realise that the "money" is just an idea.  We accept it as a means for doing business and trade but really there would be nothing stopping world Governments coming together and figuring out a way of dealing with these debts in a sensible way that would not cause hardship.

The problem is that the wealthy capitalists who will have taken advantage of this crisis to further line their pockets will not want that to happen and given that they are often the people who fund political parties....

That’s a great idea.

However I’m more concerned with the poorest in society (children primarily) missing out on education for months on end, many living in extremely volatile situations.

I’ll come to late diagnosis of illness or missed appointments another day along with the mental health aspects & unemployment consequences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

Are you suggesting that we should all go out and riot?  Smashing windows, looting, causing damage is hardly going to help the economic crisis is it?  Unless of course you have a business that replaces windows and the other damage caused by rioting....

Read my post.

8 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

It doesn’t ... but nobody (Govt) is prepared to listen to what the lockdown consequences are. Mind you, neither are the majority of Manx Forums. 

Surely everyone knows lockdowns have consequences?

Economically the shock will be felt for a long time, years and years, mostly on the already struggling as always, while the already rich just profit, often through government corruption. This pandemic is really showing some major flaws with our modern society.

On a personal level this 2nd lockdown, despite its brevity, has been far worse than the first. I'm skint as fuck post christmas, the weather is shit and the black dog stalks my every step. 

I have no idea how I'd be coping were I living in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Surely everyone knows lockdowns have consequences?

Economically the shock will be felt for a long time, years and years, mostly on the already struggling as always, while the already rich just profit, often through government corruption. This pandemic is really showing some major flaws with our modern society.

On a personal level this 2nd lockdown, despite its brevity, has been far worse than the first. I'm skint as fuck post christmas, the weather is shit and the black dog stalks my every step. 

I have no idea how I'd be coping were I living in the UK.

This is the thing though friend.

It is not just the economic turmoil.

If a prudent business owner was about to part with billions of pounds as part of a strategy to gain an advantage, you could be absolutely assured & guaranteed they would be completing a series of risk analysis studies on the consequences of their proposed actions.

Can you be sure the points I’ve raised, the side effects of this madness are commensurate with the gains?

Is the cure (there isn’t one btw) more damaging than the virus itself?

Everyone (and I mean everyone) knows the answer to these questions. 

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

NHS England Chief Executive states that currently "around a quarter of NHS Covid admissions are for the under 55s". Source, live Commons comittee interview, on now.

That's good to know.

They need to inform us of the weekly ages of those sadly deceased and were there other factors at play, ie serious underlying health conditions.

The more knowledgeable the public are, the more they can form reasoned opinion.

43 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

However I’m more concerned with the poorest in society (children primarily) missing out on education for months on end, many living in extremely volatile situations.

Yes, this is a major concern for everyone, however, despite what the UK Government are now saying isn't it telling that the number of cases increased when the schools re-opened? 

Young children do not understand that they have to socially distance, they don't follow good hand hygiene despite the efforts of their teachers and parents.  Older children like to challenge authority and push boundaries, and tend to think they are invincible. 

The risk is that the schools re-open the children carry and spread the virus and we end up with more lockdowns.  If you have kids yourself you will know that the start of the school year normally coincides with coughs, cold, infections and viruses being transmitted and carried home.  

47 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’ll come to late diagnosis of illness or missed appointments another day along with the mental health aspects & unemployment consequences.

The NHS has been massively underfunded for years.  It has gradually had frontline services cut and privatised under several Governments and it is therefore not a surprise that it is struggling to meet the demands placed upon it by the pandemic.

Many NHS Doctors have come out and said to people that if they have genuine medical concerns that they should still go to see their GP.  Staying at home to save the NHS should not mean ignoring genuine health concerns.

Undoubtedly there will be a massive problem with delivery chemotherapy and treatments to others who are going to be at increased risk because of weakened immune systems.  Do you know how we can help?  Stay at home and stop spreading the virus...  The sooner we get the r-rate down and the vaccines rolled out the better but if people insist on protesting against wearing face masks, curfews or even claiming that COVID is fake then it is going to take much longer than it should.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Yes, this is a major concern for everyone, however, despite what the UK Government are now saying isn't it telling that the number of cases increased when the schools re-opened? 

Young children do not understand that they have to socially distance, they don't follow good hand hygiene despite the efforts of their teachers and parents.  Older children like to challenge authority and push boundaries, and tend to think they are invincible. 

The risk is that the schools re-open the children carry and spread the virus and we end up with more lockdowns.  If you have kids yourself you will know that the start of the school year normally coincides with coughs, cold, infections and viruses being transmitted and carried home.  

The NHS has been massively underfunded for years.  It has gradually had frontline services cut and privatised under several Governments and it is therefore not a surprise that it is struggling to meet the demands placed upon it by the pandemic.

Many NHS Doctors have come out and said to people that if they have genuine medical concerns that they should still go to see their GP.  Staying at home to save the NHS should not mean ignoring genuine health concerns.

Undoubtedly there will be a massive problem with delivery chemotherapy and treatments to others who are going to be at increased risk because of weakened immune systems.  Do you know how we can help?  Stay at home and stop spreading the virus...  The sooner we get the r-rate down and the vaccines rolled out the better but if people insist on protesting against wearing face masks, curfews or even claiming that COVID is fake then it is going to take much longer than it should.

Successive Governments have destroyed the NHS and those failings are now coming home to roost.

I have children.

Covid is not a hoax.

I agree. Stay at home, get the R rate down, vaccinate the vulnerable but then - we must crack on.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I agree. Stay at home, get the R rate down, vaccinate the vulnerable but then - we must crack on.

You won't get many people who argue against you on this point, however, at the same time you appear to be calling for riots and protests against Government lockdown measures.