COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

11 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

You won't get many people who argue against you on this point, however, at the same time you appear to be calling for riots and protests against Government lockdown measures.

I really am not. I'm calling for grown up debate within the Mainstream Media over the points I've constantly raised (since this whole thing started).

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

The more knowledgeable the public are, the more they can form reasoned opinion.

Is that how Bookface works then ?. I don't / won't use, or twitter, but from what gets posted on here FB seems to  feed into the 'pitch fork brigades'.

Probably best not to send everyone who can't deal with it into a panic.  

26/01. 1631 deaths takes the UK death toll over the 100,000 mark. A grim and tragic landmark. Also now a suggestion that ONS figures might put the figure almost 8000 higher.

Reported Infections down though at 20,089.

BoJo claiming that he and the Govt. have done all they can to minimise the deaths and suffering.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

6 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I just read that the top 10% have profited by more than 200 billion since covid started....MSN news.

Wonder if it's true?

The sale of luxury cars has not just remained stable it's risen.

The economy is holding up. The issue as after 2008 is about the share. And Brexit is still likely to pose a much bigger risk (Covid is distracting from that currently). What happens to financial services is the big issue. It's what the British economy depends on.

It's always important to remember that the government and the Bank, between them, absolutely control money supply via fiscal and monetary policy respectively. The Bank can print as much as it wants provided the govt collects it back in taxes.

Even without Covid, sooner or later many people will need to be paid to do nothing except consume.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pongo said:

The economy is holding up. The issue as after 2008 is about the share. And Brexit is still likely to pose a much bigger risk (Covid is distracting from that currently). What happens to financial services is the big issue. It's what the British economy depends on.

It's always important to remember that the government and the Bank, between them, absolutely control money supply via fiscal and monetary policy respectively. The Bank can print as much as it wants provided the govt collects it back in taxes.

Even without Covid, sooner or later many people will need to be paid to do nothing except consume.

You do know the more a Govt. prints money, the more that currency is devalued?

Ergo, it is worth less when trading with other countries & eventually businesses cannot compete.

I’m sure you knew that though being the board expert.

Edited by Nom de plume

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

You do know the more a Govt. prints money, the more that currency is devalued?

That's not necessarily true.

The government does not create money. That's the role of the central bank. The government can how ever use fiscal policy to control the total amount of excess money in the system - for example via taxation. Though frankly, at this point, a certain amount of inflation would likely be welcomed.

In this crisis (as in 2008) it's clearly important to keep money flowing through the system. 

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Ergo, it is worth less when trading with other countries & eventually businesses cannot compete.

The currency is not being devalued. But it's worth remembering that a devalued currency generally favours exporting businesses - especially including the services sector which is typically not subject to the costs associated with imported raw materials. It makes what we sell more competitive.

Edited by pongo

49 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Boris Johnson announces plans to reopen UK schools on March 8th and further announces that UK Govt will set out phased exit from lockdown in week beginning 22nd February.

Grim reaper will be working overtime.

What an idiot.

Forgive me but I see UK as a covid basket case. Can anybody give me an idea as why our leaders are allowing folk to visit Heysham to pick up a new family pet? (I may have misunderstood this). Thanks for any replies.

Bojo on 5pm briefing now, "shares the frustrations of pupils and teachers".

"We need to see the effects of the vaccines on the virus and these will not be seen until mid-February at the earliest." Effects on transmission projected to be "partly successful".

£300M of new money for tutoring and plans for summer schools for catching up. Reiterates schools opening date of 8th March earliest and "roadmap out of lockdown" to be published week commencing 22nd February.

Infection rate 1 in 55 across the country, lockdown now "slowing things down" and numbers seem to be plateauing but still very high. Results of vaccine trials on children still awaited.

Children in upper teenage years more likely to be vectors. Professor VT warns of likelihood of children bringing virus back home to their households.

Bojo promptly reiterates schools reopening is a priority and appears to place a great deal of reliance on the efficacy of vaccines.