COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

13 minutes ago, quilp said:

Lifted directly, verbatim from the Daily Mash. 

Who cares....  Focus on the real issues.

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

So what are the chances that Parliament will be shut down and MPs sent home to self-isolate?

What we could do with now are the 40 new hospitals and the new nurses that were promised during the election plus control of the UKs borders..

Tick tock....

• Like 1

Oh I'm focused. Promises made, unfortunately, don't happen overnight, especially where the NHS is concerned. Parliament will do what it thinks is necessary but if there's a real threat of a COVID-19 'bomb' occurring, as per Italy then I'd worry how prepared they are. Same with local NHS.

Do you think we should close our borders? There have been many reports of travellers returning to the UK wondering where our precautionary measures are. Is the UK doing enough? 

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Who cares....  Focus on the real issues.

Quite.

However folks shouldn't lose their sense of humour. Always assuming they have one of course.

The situation re Nadine Dorries and the HoC could best be described as "confused" as concerns deep cleaning. Although I should imagine Her Maj has been tested since Johnsons' visit. Personally I would make it an SOP.

58 minutes ago, quilp said:

Oh I'm focused. Promises made, unfortunately, don't happen overnight, especially where the NHS is concerned. Parliament will do what it thinks is necessary but if there's a real threat of a COVID-19 'bomb' occurring, as per Italy then I'd worry how prepared they are. Same with local NHS.

Do you think we should close our borders? There have been many reports of travellers returning to the UK wondering where our precautionary measures are. Is the UK doing enough? 

Wasn't leaving the EU supposed to give us control of our borders?  The UK is an Island nation.  Closing the borders should be an easy method to control the spread of pandemics.

I have also spoken with people who have returned from Venice on Monday this week.  Upon entering the UK there were no checks at the airport, no officials to meet the flight, just a recommendation to self-isolate for two weeks.  Those people are in employment and have a supportive employer.  How many self-employed people returning to the UK who stand to lose out financially would do so?

The UK Government have rolled the dice and are hoping that the constant reminders to wash our hands will bring this under control.  If this fails then the Government will need to be held accountable and responsible for a failure to act. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Wasn't leaving the EU supposed to give us control of our borders?  The UK is an Island nation.  Closing the borders should be an easy method to control the spread of pandemics.

I have also spoken with people who have returned from Venice on Monday this week.  Upon entering the UK there were no checks at the airport, no officials to meet the flight, just a recommendation to self-isolate for two weeks.  Those people are in employment and have a supportive employer.  How many self-employed people returning to the UK who stand to lose out financially would do so?

The UK Government have rolled the dice and are hoping that the constant reminders to wash our hands will bring this under control.  If this fails then the Government will need to be held accountable and responsible for a failure to act. 

I absolutely agree that the blasé manner that people have been allowed to enter the UK especially from infected areas is shocking.  I suspect attempting to avoid panic if people in the UK clued up on just how serious this has a great deal to do with it. 

Unfortunately the terms of the BREXIT transition period precludes closing of our borders in the way that should have been done from day #1.

It's my firm belief that there should have not even have been a transition period but that's beside the point.

Edited by Rog

4 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

So what are the chances that Parliament will be shut down and MPs sent home to self-isolate?

What we could do with now are the 40 new hospitals and the new nurses that were promised during the election plus control of the UKs borders..

Tick tock....

#snowflakearmageddon

3 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

And £350M a week for the NHS at the very least. 

nearer to £500m extra now per week.......

15 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Shouting close the borders is all very well but what are legitimate UK citizens supposed to do? Are they not allowed back into their own country?

These are pretty extraordinary times, I don't think the UK Government can be blamed (at least not yet).

had a few trucks from italy this morning......not one had been checked by the eu.....

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Shouting close the borders is all very well but what are legitimate UK citizens supposed to do? Are they not allowed back into their own country?

These are pretty extraordinary times, I don't think the UK Government can be blamed (at least not yet).

Returning UK citizens should be screened for potential symptoms and if any show they should be quarantined and if no symptoms should be told to self isolate themselves for two weeks.

We are facing an unprecedented threat and IMO are not addressing it appropriately.

To my way look at Italy and what is happening there will or SHOULD be happening in a couple of weeks in the UK

In fact what Italy was doing three weeks ago is what should be happening in the UK NOW.

52 minutes ago, Rog said:

I absolutely agree that the blasé manner that people have been allowed to enter the UK especially from infected areas is shocking.  I suspect attempting to avoid panic if people in the UK clued up on just how serious this has a great deal to do with it. 

Unfortunately the terms of the BREXIT transition period precludes closing of our borders in the way that should have been done from day #1.

It's my firm belief that there should have not even have been a transition period but that's beside the point.

The UK citizens stuck in Italy are pissed that BA and others have cancelled their flights out. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51818492

1 hour ago, Rog said:

How come Austria has been able to close it's borders to Italian citizens without a medical certificate then?  F**k all to do with the EU.

1 hour ago, mojomonkey said:

Return them to the UK but under quarantine like they did with those returning from Wuhan or if the numbers are to great then screen them on arrival and follow up within a week.

26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

This is stupid.

Tonight PSG play Dortmund behind closed doors.

However Liverpool will host Atletico Madrid and all their fans....

Yesterday Valencia played Atalanta in an empty stadium. There were about 10000 Valencia fans outside. Its mental.