COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

59 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I think the assumption that folks will get fed up with dodging it are misplaced.

Plus if you self-isolate how do you feed yourself without hoarding?

If you had started all of that stuff earlier as this guy says then the panic would be worse. It seems reasonable to keep things as normal as possible for as long as possible. If he's so good, why isn't he running things?

ETA: Just looked him up. He's 72, from Liverpool and he's a member of the Labour Party.

Edited by woolley

1 hour ago, woolley said:

If you had started all of that stuff earlier as this guy says then the panic would be worse. It seems reasonable to keep things as normal as possible for as long as possible. If he's so good, why isn't he running things?

ETA: Just looked him up. He's 72, from Liverpool and he's a member of the Labour Party.

Which guy?

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

I think the assumption that folks will get fed up with dodging it are misplaced.

Plus if you self-isolate how do you feed yourself without hoarding?

If anyone didn't "read the runes" and take note of what was taking place on the mainland (as I for one commented on a few days ago) then they are in the shi  muck. What's more better start stockpiling NOW because you guys are at the end of delivery chains and as these are drying up then your exposure is even more than over here.

Already quite apart from increasing empty shelves in shops and supermarkets so home delivery is becoming more than problematic - and it's going to get very much worse.

Look at eg Italy now - and that will be the UK in about four weeks.

We've stockpiled around 12 weeks supplies, mostly tinned and dry goods but also common medicines and disinfectant. Alsob even bin bags in case refuse collection is affected.

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Well you quoted the post from CMO Whitty, CSO Vallance and inveterate liar Boris Johnson!

Get a grip...

Bloke on QT. You knew quite well who I was referring to and are just being your usual belligerent self. I quoted your shortest post rather than regurgitate the whole load of bollox again.

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Bloke on QT. You knew quite well who I was referring to and are just being your usual belligerent self. I quoted your shortest post rather than regurgitate the whole load of bollox again.

What difference does it make if he's a scouser? I don't see how politics comes into it.

If he was a tory then I would agree with you as their priorities are Self, Party, Country, People.

As he's labour it's People, Country, Party, Self.

Just reference Roger's "I'm all right Jack, the rest can go hang" post for confirmation.

QT should be interesting....

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As he's labour it's People, Country, Party, Self.

I used to think that about the Communist Party when I was 16. Well, at least similar. Party, people, country, self. They tell you that, but it's subject to all the usual human failings of corruption. Look at Momentum.

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

I used to think that about the Communist Party when I was 16. Well, at least similar. Party, people, country, self. They tell you that, but it's subject to all the usual human failings of corruption. Look at Momentum.

Well, I can fill in some detail as well:

19 minutes ago, P.K. said:

If he was a tory then I would agree with you as their priorities are Self, Party, Country, People (as long as People means they are already well-off tory voters who will always always always vote with their wallets)

6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

If he was a tory then I would agree with you ................

That's just silly. Politics is tribal so none of them are above lying, cheating and generally being economical with the truth to do the other side down. 'Twas ever thus, and to pretend otherwise flies in the face of the evidence of centuries.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

That's just silly. Politics is tribal so none of them are above lying, cheating and generally being economical with the truth to do the other side down. 'Twas ever thus, and to pretend otherwise flies in the face of the evidence of centuries.

Not when facts are involved:

As Torsten Bell of the Resolution Foundation shows, graphs of budget effects on the bottom 20% show at a glance which party is in power: relatively, incomes at the bottom always suffer under Tories, always gain under Labour.

Thought QT was really amusing tonight. Know-nothing politician against eminent SME.

Know-nothing trotted out all the usual "Taking the best scientific advice available. Record £amounts to the NHS" etc etc conveniently forgetting all the cuts they had made. SME responds with "XYZ have had success doing ABC, do you think that's just a lucky guess...?" etc etc.

I was left with the uncomfortable suspicion that our wonderful tory government were flying in the face of the actions taken by the countries ahead of us in this appalling situation because they know their cuts have left our once vaunted NHS weak and vulnerable and thus those who rely on them in the same precarious position....

Now what are the brexiteers always telling us?

Ah yes, we're the fifth largest economy on the planet so we hold ALL the cards.....

Hardworking, honest, reliable – none of these words apply to Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.....

I think Johnson spoke well yesterday (thurs) and whilst the rational for not implementing stronger measures goes against the experiences of China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan, and looks a lot like Italy three weeks ago, at least I understand why he thinks that’s ok. Surprised he’s ok with so many casualties, especially as it will inevitably hit hardest amongst his core supporters. He was much more of a leader yesterday and much less of a dickhead than usual. 

7 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

I think Johnson spoke well yesterday (thurs) and whilst the rational for not implementing stronger measures goes against the experiences of China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan, and looks a lot like Italy three weeks ago, at least I understand why he thinks that’s ok. Surprised he’s ok with so many casualties, especially as it will inevitably hit hardest amongst his core supporters. He was much more of a leader yesterday and much less of a dickhead than usual. 

I thought using expressions like "squashing the sombrero" made him look and sound like a complete and utter twat....

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

I thought using expressions like "squashing the sombrero" made him look and sound like a complete and utter twat....

Did you even understand what he was trying to convey?

12 minutes ago, Rog said:

Did you even understand what he was trying to convey?

Do you even understand the expression:

"totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar"

because everyone always needs reminding what a totally flawed character Boris Johnson is....