COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Do you even understand the expression:

"totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar"

because everyone always needs reminding what a totally flawed character Boris Johnson is....

Well not in connection with our Prime Minister. 

36 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I thought using expressions like "squashing the sombrero" made him look and sound like a complete and utter twat....

You'd know considering the clichés you habitually use. Nobody has the right way to deal with a situation like this that comes hurtling at you out of nowhere. You can only follow your best expert advice which is being done. Trying to make political capital out of death and suffering is twattish. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woolley said:

You'd know considering the clichés you habitually use.

Every time he uses them he just confirms what a complete and utter twat HE is. It's like he thinks it gives people a giggle every time without realising it's just not funny anymore. I'm reminded of Olivier, in 'The Entertainer', people were laughing at him rather than with him without realising it. Massive egos are like that. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, woolley said:

You'd know considering the clichés you habitually use. Nobody has the right way to deal with a situation like this that comes hurtling at you out of nowhere. You can only follow your best expert advice which is being done. Trying to make political capital out of death and suffering is twattish. 

Clearly you can't imagine a clutch of frightened at risk residents of a nursing home gathered around the common room tv for security in numbers looking at one another in complete and utter bafflement and wondering "First he says a lot of us here are going to die and then he says they're squashing the sombrero. What the fuck?" or similar.

These people need reassurance. Not gobbledegook.

Boris Johnson will never, ever be a leader because everyone knows all he cares about is Boris Johnson....

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Clearly you can't imagine a clutch of frightened at risk residents of a nursing home gathered around the common room tv for security in numbers looking at one another in complete and utter bafflement and wondering "First he says a lot of us here are going to die and then he says they're squashing the sombrero. What the fuck?" or similar.

Boris Johnson will never, ever be a leader because everyone knows all he cares about is Boris Johnson....

There is no point in offering false reassurance. The elderly are generally stoic in the face of illness and don't appreciate peddlers of false hope. Johnson struck the right balance. Churchill offered nothing but blood sweat and tears. Only liberals put out the mantra of sweat dreams which invariably turn to nightmares. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The fact is that no one really knows what is going to happen, it is a very quickly changing situation. Whilst I'm no great fan of Johnson I think he struck the right tone, people need to be told that this is a serious situation and that there are very likely serious consequences. It would have been much worse he he (or any World leader) said that everything was going to be rosy and deaths will be light.

I understood the message he was putting out together either rational of what is being done and how the sombrero effect was a reasonable way to explain it.

But I don't think what is being done is what most people think should be taking place based on an emotional rather than a logical way to manage this nightmare.

31 minutes ago, woolley said:

There is no point in offering false reassurance. The elderly are generally stoic in the face of illness and don't appreciate peddlers of false hope. Johnson struck the right balance. Churchill offered nothing but blood sweat and tears. Only liberals put out the mantra of sweat dreams which invariably turn to nightmares. 

There's no point in talking gobbledegook!

Tell you what, why don't you just let that slide...

31 minutes ago, Rog said:

I understood the message he was putting out together either rational of what is being done and how the sombrero effect was a reasonable way to explain it.

But I don't think what is being done is what most people think should be taking place based on an emotional rather than a logical way to manage this nightmare.

Okay, so the reference to "squashing the sombrero" is just a flowery way of saying "flattening the curve"?  

As I said I missed this part of his statement and maybe in context it is more self-explanatory but taken along it is a little baffling.

• Like 1