COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

The threat to life and the seriousness of the situation had to be gotten over without mincing words. What Boris said was straight to the point and will unfortunately (probably) be correct. It certainly produced a reaction and served its purpose of making people aware. No point in beating around the Bush and no room for complacency.

If people thought it crass and were offended by his words the too bad.

(eta: just saw mojo's post) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

"Many more families are going to lose loved ones" was crass at best.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Other leaders have said similar to their people, e.g. Varadkar:

"There will be many more cases. More people will get sick and unfortunately, we must face the tragic reality that some people will die."

OK, I'm not Johnson's greatest fan, but he's doing OK with this under trying circumstances. You are only interested in picking up anything handy to belt him with as ever.

Plus ca change.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

No it wasn't, it's honest. I get you don't like him but what did you want him to say? 

As far as I'm concerned Boris Johnson is such a flawed character he simply shouldn't try and do sincerity. Because sincere is simply not in his modus operandi.

Something like "many families are likely to be affected" is more than adequate.

• Sad 1

Just now, P.K. said:

As far as I'm concerned Boris Johnson is such a flawed character...

Well bugger me, I'd never have guessed...

He actually said families were likely to be affected and added the rider of "we don't want to be losing Granny" (I paraphrase) which he used for the desired effect. The emphasis and mental imagery of that statement was completely necessary.

• Like 2

The bit I wonder about is why other countries are taking lots of measures, like closing schools, and we're not?

Every parent knows that even playschools are pools of infection. So what do we know that other countries have simply missed?

Comparing Eire with NI could be worthwhile....

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As far as I'm concerned Boris Johnson is such a flawed character he simply shouldn't try and do sincerity. Because sincere is simply not in his modus operandi.

Something like "many families are likely to be affected" is more than adequate.

The bottom line is that your opinion isn't worth a tinkers cuss, the majority of people decided that they wanted the Conservative Party, their policies, the completion of BREXIT, and with Boris Johnson as the party leader to form the government.  Right now their choice is proving to have been absolutely the correct one.

In the case of COVID-19 there is no one size fits all right way to manage this global disaster, it has to be the least worst for each country afected, and every indication is that is what is happening for the UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The bit I wonder about is why other countries are taking lots of measures, like closing schools, and we're not?

Every parent knows that even playschools are pools of infection. So what do we know that other countries have simply missed?

Comparing Eire with NI could be worthwhile....

Well, it's been explained many times. Other countries are at different stages of the process. In the UK there are still relatively few cases, so it's too soon for all of that. Will any of these countries do better despite some taking panic measures, or what UK science sees as the wrong measures, as was the case in Italy? Nobody will know until the whole thing is history, but the current strategy of staging the response to try to flatten the peak over a longer timespan seems perfectly sensible to me.

We all know that you have a totally jaundiced view of Johnson and will never forgive him for either winning a large Tory majority, or for finally enacting the Brexit referendum result. Nor would I expect you to, to be fair, but don't let the accumulated festering bile of historical events seep into every single commentary on every single unrelated subject even to the extent that you are now disparaging honest attempts based on the best science available to keep people alive during a global health pandemic. It's infantile.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rog said:

The bottom line is that your opinion isn't worth a tinkers cuss, the majority of people decided that they wanted the Conservative Party, their policies, the completion of BREXIT, and with Boris Johnson as the party leader to form the government.  Right now their choice is proving to have been absolutely the correct one.

In the case of COVID-19 there is no one size fits all right way to manage this global disaster, it has to be the least worst for each country afected, and every indication is that is what is happening for the UK.

No Roger, the "Get brexit done" nonsense may have been good enough for the hard of thinking but anyone with a modicum of commonsense knows that getting brexit done will take months and maybe a lot longer.

The facts of the matter are that we have a totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar as PM. Now you can have his baby for all I care, face it - plenty have, but don't bother trying to convince that he's good for the country. Because he's not.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't like Boris either, but he was totally right to say that. PK, get it together.

He could have put it in less stark terms. But he didn't.

Like I posted - he doesn't do sincerity...

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

He could have put it in less stark terms. But he didn't.

Like I posted - he doesn't do sincerity...

I disagree, stark is the only way. 'Lots of you are going to get ill, some of you are going to die'. Tell the truth,it's what you've been demanding he does for god knows how long. Sugar coating it just makes him the liar you hate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3