COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

20 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't even pretend to understand international financial markets so could someone explain why the the US dollar is so strong right now, especially against the euro and pound? The US is about to get hammered by this virus, like really really hammered.

Markets see dollar as "least bad" place to be in difficult times. With commodities, equities and virtually every other class crashing around our ears there is literally nowhere else to run. 

Fair enough. The US markets are tanking too though, they've stopped trading 4 times in the last couple of weeks and theyve got a lunatic in charge. They've been really slow to respond to the 'China' virus and are going to see the consequences of both that and their mental health system really soon. 

Least bad is a damning indictment of everything really.

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Fair enough. The US markets are tanking too though, they've stopped trading 4 times in the last couple of weeks and theyve got a lunatic in charge. They've been really slow to respond to the 'China' virus and are going to see the consequences of both that and their mental health system really soon. 

That's right. Even with US economy grinding to a halt the greenback is still the world's go to safe haven. Even gold long ago lost its lustre. 

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

You’re stuck in a left-right loop, just as bad as PK. 

I'm not stuck in a left-right loop.

I'm in a "Boris Johnson is completly useless" loop.

Then just add to that "The tories have been underfunding the NHS and Social Care for the last ten years"  and you've arrived at the nub of our current problems....

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Nothing wrong with this POTUS other than he is not a politician.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, woolley said:

That's right. Even with US economy grinding to a halt the greenback is still the world's go to safe haven. Even gold long ago lost its lustre. 

It depends if you're a money market trader in which case the US dollar is a good but short term baseline whereas for medium to long term gold is best.

18 minutes ago, Rog said:

Sigh.

He's a horrible flapping cock with an ego problem and a total disregard for everything outside of his retarded narrow minded world view.

Like err, you.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Rog said:

That is a very damning statement. He is for the Trump Corporation not for the People, it will be interesting to see how he performs under real pressure now (I see he is already blaming other countries).

2 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

You’re stuck in a left-right loop, just as bad as PK. 

Nah. He is totally consumed by his negativity and hatred of Boris and all things Tory. I support politicians of any persuasion to do what is right in the interests of this country. Hardly a narrow view and certainly not in a loop as you allege.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

PK has descended into caricature through blind hatred of the Tories to such a degree he cannot see that this would be no better and might even be worse whoever had been in government for the past decade.

This...

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Much of what you say of Johnson is true but as the former head of public health said last night, you simply cannot plan for a pandemic because the characteristics and therefore the requirements are different in every case. PK has descended into caricature through blind hatred of the Tories to such a degree he cannot see that this would be no better and might even be worse whoever had been in government for the past decade. Johnson has his Churchill moment. We have a war. 

Now be fair. I would hate any political party who deliberately underfunded the NHS and Social Care at the same time as just looking out for those that vote for them.

Give yourself a little test. How badly would you fare if you lost 50% of your income?

Now imagine that those at the bottom who lost 50% of their income would go cold and hungry....

The press release on the relief measures really summed it up.

"Mortgage relief for the good tory voters!"

"Prime Minister, what about those at the bottom in the gig economy and renters?"

"Errrr we'll figure out something for them in the next few days..."

Fucking typical...

One measure of how useless Johnson is comes in the surprise form of Corbyn. All the right whingers on here, which is to say the vast majority, want to support Johnson as he's "their" man. But he's just so useless it's a struggle. So they revert to their backstop of "Corbyn would have been worse" and so forth.

So the more Corbyn gets a mention = the  more useless Johnson is....

QED.

Leo Varadkar, Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, Pope Francis & Mary a ten year old Irish girl were on a flight with just 4 parachutes. 
As the plane went down they were short one parachute, they agreed Leo should go first when he said ‘I need to sort out the corona virus in Ireland, I need one‘ & off he went, Boris was next and said ‘I’m the smartest man in England, I simply cannot die, I have to survive’, and out he jumped with a parachute. 
Next was Trump and he said ‘I’m needed to keep America great and sort out this corona virus’ and out he jumped.
With just one parachute left, Pope Francis said, “little Mary you take it. I have lived a good life, you are young with your whole life ahead of you... take it.”  
Mary replied.. “it’s ok Francis, there’s two parachutes left. The smartest man in England took my school bag....”

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

... the right whingers on here, which is to say the vast majority, want to support Johnson as he's "their" man. But he's just so useless it's a struggle. So they revert to their backstop of "Corbyn would have been worse" and so forth.

More utter bollocks. Johnson’s certainly not 'my man' to any degree, he's just the bloke in charge at this time and possibly the best of a bad lot. I've never reverted to the {"backstop of"} ..."Corbyn would have been worse" so you're being deliberately imprecise and downright insulting, again...

Edited by quilp
Edited out the virtue-signalling...
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Leo Varadkar, Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, Pope Francis & Mary a ten year old Irish girl were on a flight with just 4 parachutes. 
As the plane went down they were short one parachute, they agreed Leo should go first when he said ‘I need to sort out the corona virus in Ireland, I need one‘ & off he went, Boris was next and said ‘I’m the smartest man in England, I simply cannot die, I have to survive’, and out he jumped with a parachute. 
Next was Trump and he said ‘I’m needed to keep America great and sort out this corona virus’ and out he jumped.
With just one parachute left, Pope Francis said, “little Mary you take it. I have lived a good life, you are young with your whole life ahead of you... take it.”  
Mary replied.. “it’s ok Francis, there’s two parachutes left. The smartest man in England took my school bag....”

That one normally ends with Trump taking the school bag. I guess it mutated. 

• Like 1