COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

So yesterdays big announcement on statutory sick pay had no real effect did it?  Well apart from small businesses being placed under additional financial pressure as they cannot reclaim statutory sick pay via PAYE anymore.

Agreed, however, Johnson's announcement sounded like the Government were going to be paying people statutory sick pay.  It is another deliberately misleading statement to the masses who do not know how statutory sick pay works and the fact that organisations cannot reclaim SSP any more.

Ironically, of course, the Tory party are considered to be the party for businesses and entrepreneurs. 

don't shoot me......but as i understand it the gov. are going to pay the first 3 days?.........otherwise how is it going to cost the gov. billions?

1 hour ago, sir nige said:

don't shoot me......but as i understand it the gov. are going to pay the first 3 days?.........otherwise how is it going to cost the gov. billions?

This is currently where the detail is missing.

As the legislation stands currently employers cannot claim back statutory sick pay.  If the Government does agree to fund this then obviously that is much more positive.  

As the legislation stands currently employers cannot claim back statutory sick pay.  If the Government does agree to fund this then obviously that is much more positive.  

how else is it going to cost them billions?

Employers large AND small must share the costs of this unforeseen disaster.  No doubt a good number will goto the wall.  That's life. 

Edited by Rog

1 hour ago, Rog said:

Employers large AND small must share the costs of this unforeseen disaster.  No doubt a good number will goto the wall.  That's life. 

And if they go to the wall I suppose you want all those who lose their jobs to receive no benefits or perhaps put them to work in the fields?

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 4:27 PM, Freggyragh said:

I hope this disease without borders doesn’t kill people because of petulant refusal to ensure Europewide healthcare agreements, the free-flow of medicines, equipment and staff, and the rejection of collaborative approaches to dealing with epidemics. I hope we’re not relying on the misfits, morons and flat-earth, anti-vax, climate-change denying, eugenics pushing ‘scientists’ of Cummings’s Whitehall to deal with the coming pandemic. It’s going to really push Sir Nige’s and Rog’s faith in doing without experts. 

who said we should do without experts........

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

And if they go to the wall I suppose you want all those who lose their jobs to receive no benefits or perhaps put them to work in the fields?

Put to work to work to earn benefits as per workfare should be the default condition under any circumstances and any tax payer cash handouts should be means tested. 

It makes less than no sense to have ever done otherwise and even more so now..

1 hour ago, Rog said:

Put to work to work to earn benefits as per workfare should be the default condition under any circumstances and any tax payer cash handouts should be means tested. 

It makes less than no sense to have ever done otherwise and even more so now..

I agree with this.

The State Pension, access to the NHS and prescription charges just for starters....

6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I agree with this.

The State Pension, access to the NHS and prescription charges just for starters....

Close but no ceegar old son.  Here's why.

In the case of the NHS it really is a state insurance which is unlike the State Age Related Benefit (it's not a pension).

In the case of prescription charges because medicines prescribed as a part of the National Health Service, treatment which is a national insurance scheme there is a strong argument there should be no charges for medicines approved by NICE.

3 minutes ago, Rog said:

Close but no ceegar old son.  Here's why.

In the case of the NHS it really is a state insurance which is unlike the State Age Related Benefit (it's not a pension).

In the case of prescription charges because medicines prescribed as a part of the National Health Service, treatment which is a national insurance scheme there is a strong argument there should be no charges for medicines approved by NICE.

Facile at best.

You like to brag about your "investments" well put your money where your mouth is....

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Facile at best.

You like to brag about your "investments" well put your money where your mouth is....

I REALLY have no idea what you want.

Serious!y, you've totally lost me.  Have you been drinking again?

20 minutes ago, Rog said:

I REALLY have no idea what you want.

Serious!y, you've totally lost me.  Have you been drinking again?

What's with the "drinking again" nonsense Roger?

I really think it's time you stopped being a parasite and sponging off of those who have to live on a lot less than you've got coming in.

You believe in means testing. Good. So do I.

High time you means tested yourself.....