COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

Quite.

It takes between 5 and 11.5 days for the symptoms to show in 97.5% of cases. Of course, the asymptomatic will carry on infecting others for several weeks after becoming a carrier.

I have no idea how they can report that self-isolating is having an effect. With little or no testing of the population at large the number of infections in the UK is an unknown that will carry on growing for at least four weeks after the event. Self isolation has been going a week hence the expected peak in the next two to three weeks from now. I am assuming, as they probably are, that the numbers reporting sick at the hospitals will reflect the situation at large.

Only then will we know the full scale of the pandemic in the UK.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Use deaths they are more reliable than new cases, though the new cases data leads by 10 days or so and so is a leading indicator that things are getting better.

Would looking at the numbers of people in intensive care be a better way to track things than the new cases? Both Spain and France have over 5000 each.

Fastyr Mie to All:

Read this thread until March 14th and had not found a single Posting that stated anything about this Virus arriving in IoM and infecting some People of the IoM.

Is there any sign of this Virus in the IoM?

And I have seen a lot of complaints about what the UK Government is doing about it.  

What is the IoM House of Keys doing about it?  Is there any Hospitals that have had to do any Quarantining?

3X3

1 hour ago, TheDruid-3X3 said:

Fastyr Mie to All:

Read this thread until March 14th and had not found a single Posting that stated anything about this Virus arriving in IoM and infecting some People of the IoM.

And I have seen a lot of complaints about what the UK Government is doing about it.  

What is the IoM House of Keys doing about it?  Is there any Hospitals that have had to do any Quarantining?

3X3

What virus?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Check out here for a really great visualisation of the epidemic, with a clever way of showing exponential growth is coming to an end.

Use deaths they are more reliable than new cases, though the new cases data leads by 10 days or so and so is a leading indicator that things are getting better.

Explained here:

Phase 1 possibly ...though if you look at the China graph....cases creeping up again, possibly same for South Korea. Phase 2?

1 hour ago, TheDruid-3X3 said:

Fastyr Mie to All:

3X3

Few cases here (60), and all travel is cut off to and from the island. Everyone has to self isolate if they have symptoms, and social distancing is in place. The single hospital is coping fine. 

How's Canada?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, P.K. said:

I haven't seen any pasta for several weeks...

I noticed Farcebook had a thread of Manxies saying how they were ready to self isolate and could do so for a month or more to "do their bit..."

I was tempted to ask them how did they come to have at least a month's worth of supplies...?

Pasta? Lots available on-line especially from health food shops. What now is rapidly disappearing from shops over here is yeast. 

9 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Yeast, if its for baking bread then just make your own starter - https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/21199708/yeast-diy-baking-covid-19-shortage-make-it-yourself-bread (lots of other guides out there).

Have you tried buying flour?

Asda, Tesco, Morries, Sainos - no flour.

I suspect all the panic buyers figured there would be a shortage of bread so they hoovered up all the flour and yeast. Which will now stay in their food stash, unused, until this is over.

31 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I suspect all the panic buyers figured there would be a shortage of bread so they hoovered up all the flour and yeast. Which will now stay in their food stash, unused, until this is over.

Appreciate that it is not particularly relevent to the IoM but flour is available here. Flour really is a pointless mass purchase unless you use it reasonably quickly, I expect lots of people to be dealing with infestations of weevils.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You're in the UK so have you tried any places like Spa or other corner shops?  Or farm shops? 

32 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Appreciate that it is not particularly relevent to the IoM but flour is available here. Flour really is a pointless mass purchase unless you use it reasonably quickly, I expect lots of people to be dealing with infestations of weevils.

I have a couple of packs of Co-Op flour here use by 01 2021. If stored OK it does last.

Unfortunately no wholemeal or even brown to mix with it.

Going to try growing my own yeast just to see what happens. I recall having a ginger beer plant as a kid.

How these days of voluntary incarceration just fly by....

• Haha 1