COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

Just now, woolley said:

Again, this only works if you are ready to suspend reality and believe that the whole show is run by Johnson, rather than by the government which is advised by the government scientific establishment. If they had been telling the government to change course, follow Ireland or wherever and they had refused, then I would agree with you. But they weren't. The politicians followed the advice of the expensively payrolled government scientists which is exactly what they would be expected to do. I'm not defending Johnson because he's my mate or I love his politics. I am doing so because your angle is manifestly wrong, unjust and politically self-serving. If Corbyn had won power, and some Tory supporting poster was attacking him for doing exactly what Johnson has done in following the advice, which Corbyn would certainly be doing, I would be saying precisely the same thing. You're not being realistic and you're not being fair.

As for Ireland, well, there are many differences between the countries. You don't need to delve too deeply. A so many per head infection/death comparison doesn't mean a great deal when you are comparing a country of tightly packed cities and towns to what is basically a massive peat bog surrounded by farmland with mountains around the edge and only one city that would even register on the UK scale. The profile of the populations too have a bearing. Large families of ethnic minorities live in small properties in England, far more than they do in Ireland. We also don't know what will happen in Ireland when they ease up. How's the herd immunity going over there?

For a much more balanced view on the comparison between the two countries, I reach for my trusty Grauniad yet again:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/13/experts-divided-comparison-uk-ireland-coronavirus-record?fbclid=IwAR3Oh3orXbczk42wgdoIuo2GwvXSMrw5Jp9u6Hl963R1rq_MNtDtWjusMVY

Don't be daft.

How Ireland reacted to Covid-19 has absolutely NOTHING to do with Johnson. How could it have? 

This comment:

"A so many per head infection/death comparison doesn't mean a great deal when you are comparing a country of tightly packed cities and towns to what is basically a massive peat bog surrounded by farmland with mountains around the edge and only one city that would even register on the UK scale."

Indicates to me that you didn't read the whole piece that EXACTLY looks into the point you are making.

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yeah, did. And the Irish Times article they filched it from.

I think the piece was very fair. The timelines were also accurate because I checked them.

Sure SME's disagree - they ALWAYS do!

I'm not going to take it further as yet but the more that is discovered about Covid-19 the more that "herd immunity" looks based on false premises...

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I'm not going to take it further as yet but the more that is discovered about Covid-19 the more that "herd immunity" looks based on false premises...

We'd better all hope that it isn't. or we have the doomsday scenario of repeated waves of infection carrying off ever more people every time. Thanks a bunch, China.

@woolley

Got to take you to task over this Woolster:

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Again, this only works if you are ready to suspend reality and believe that the whole show is run by Johnson, rather than by the government which is advised by the government scientific establishment.

Errrrr - what works?

You asked for other ways of how entities dealt with the pandemic and I cited Ireland.

You keep claiming your stance is apolitical but you clearly view posts on other entities is somehow a personal attack on Johnson. The piece about how Ireland dealt with it was exactly that - a piece about how Ireland dealt with it. By an independent Irish researcher. You can bluster all you like about how the two places differ but the numbers will irrefutably stay the same.

But you just HAD to drag Johnson into it.

Have to say your "apolitical" stance is wearing rather thin....

However it's really good to see you quote The Grauniad in what can only be in Johnson's defence, well you dragged him into it, which just goes to show the balanced reporting and the airing of differing views in which, unfortunately for the UK, only the Grauniad brings one these days.....

Hopefully it becomes your "go to" choice for balanced reporting on the issues of the day...   :)

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

@woolley

Got to take you to task over this Woolster:

Errrrr - what works?

You asked for other ways of how entities dealt with the pandemic and I cited Ireland.

You keep claiming your stance is apolitical but you clearly view posts on other entities is somehow a personal attack on Johnson. The piece about how Ireland dealt with it was exactly that - a piece about how Ireland dealt with it. By an independent Irish researcher. You can bluster all you like about how the two places differ but the numbers will irrefutably stay the same.

But you just HAD to drag Johnson into it.

Er, no I didn't. He was already there.

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

@woolley

For comparison this is how our near neighbours handled it:

When our taoiseach was closing our schools and universities, your prime minister was still telling you to wash your hands. 

Our government’s measures worked.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/14/coronavirus-uk-ireland-delay

As an observation, "Our government's measures worked." is fate temptingly previous of them.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Er, no I didn't. He was already there.

As an observation, "Our government's measures worked." is fate temptingly previous of them.

Very weak Woolster. 

Your paranoia is getting the better of you I would say.

The author was comparing their actions to that of the UK. What, you think I forced them to write that or something?

You seem to have forgotten the similarities between the two entities that came before that remark.

You ask for examples on how things could have been done differently but if the examples seem to be better than the UK's then according to you they suddenly become personal attacks on Johnson?

Look, if you only wanted examples where entities have performed worse than ours to the exclusion of others then maybe you should have posted same...?

Perhaps a look at South Korea, or any other entity that adopted the "test, isolate, trace" advice from the WHO for that matter, wouldn't do your "apolitical" stance any good at all....

19 hours ago, woolley said:

Yeah, did. And the Irish Times article they filched it from.

The author is an independent researcher so it would have been syndicated.

Dear me, the attempts to diss by the right whingers are getting ever more petty....

16 hours ago, P.K. said:

Very weak Woolster. 

Your paranoia is getting the better of you I would say.

Aye. That must be it. One day you should teach me how to keep cool in a crisis.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:42 PM, P.K. said:

We are leaving on Sleazy tomorrow.

Gave it a lot of consideration. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much care you take yourself it only takes one fuckwit to trash your efforts. And looking at the empty shelves there is no shortage of fuckwits. We also did the sums. Over 15,000 folks 65+, one hospital, six ventilators.

Added to that most stuff you need someone has to put it on a boat.

But it's still a very difficult call. Time will tell....

We were marooned by the Flymaybe nosedive so thought ourselves lucky to get Sleazy tickets at pretty much the same price. When booking the seats it seemed to be pretty full. But that was before the 14 day self isolation edict.

A friend flew back from Hamburg yesterday with the passengers in single figures.

I wonder how many will turn up tomorrow....?

On 3/21/2020 at 10:47 PM, TheTeapot said:

You're running away?

On 3/21/2020 at 11:16 PM, WTF said:

getting into a confined space with a load of others, great idea, you are right about there being no shortage of fuckwits

On 3/21/2020 at 11:56 PM, P.K. said:

Surgical masks, gloves, glasses.

You have heard of these things, yes?

On 3/22/2020 at 12:09 AM, P.K. said:

So is there more than one hospital I haven't heard of? Didn't think so. More than six ventilators? No doubt more on the way.... Just telling it like it is.

Despite the efforts of Johnson and his tory party there are infinitely more medical resources across. It is also much easier to self-isolate as there are various supermarkets doing deliveries. Five we can call on as we've used them before - compared to your Tesco where getting a single delivery slot is bloody challenging.

But we stay here because we like it.

On 3/22/2020 at 7:09 AM, P.K. said:

Thanks.

Booked the flight on the 5th which, of course, still left all our options open. Notice the fares have been climbing since then. Found out about daughter #2 on Friday. Which clinched it. So far no symptoms.

Why the Woolster would get so excited about our actual physical location is beyond me.

Good luck looking after the oldsters. Been there, done that, got the scar tissue...

On 3/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, P.K. said:

In the departure lounge.

On our own.

To think I paid extra to reserve seats....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Didn't run away.

Definitely ran into.

But we knew that.

Kids, who would have them...?

Haven't checked for a while but there are now 262 confirmed cases in our area...

But to put it in perspective those 262 confirmed cases are those pitching up in hospital.

To get the figure of those infected in the area you have to multiply by at least five or even ten or more.

Because it's just a big unknown...

Edited by P.K.