COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

8 hours ago, quilp said:

Gorbachev speaking sense in his op-ed in Time magazine. Will the powers that be take any notice and wake up to the fact that humanity comes first? Worth a read...

https://www.rt.com/news/485971-gorbachev-military-spending-coronavirus/

I doubt they will...  

Please don't forget that certain people placed nationality above humanity very, very recently (I am looking at you Nigel Farage) and used the 'fear' of foreigners as a way to gain political support.

It has only been in the last few weeks that praise and support has been openly given to some of the lowest paid jobs in the UK whether that be the NHS or the people working in shops, factories etc that look after our health and enable us to feed ourselves.

Capture.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I doubt they will...  

Please don't forget that certain people placed nationality above humanity very, very recently (I am looking at you Nigel Farage) and used the 'fear' of foreigners as a way to gain political support.

So you are equating membership of a trading bloc with the furtherance of humanity. What rot. 

55 minutes ago, woolley said:

So you are equating membership of a trading bloc with the furtherance of humanity. What rot. 

The EU also encourages international co-operation for the mutual benefit of its members compared to the position of Farage which is all about a fear of foreigners and a view that the UK (or England at least) is somehow superior.

16 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

The EU also encourages international co-operation for the mutual benefit of its members compared to the position of Farage which is all about a fear of foreigners and a view that the UK (or England at least) is somehow superior.

Hang on, what about Ursula's grovelling apology on behalf of the bloc and its failures toward Italy only days ago? So much for mutual co-operation. 

If we're looking for examples of mistakes or things that could have been done better during this pandemic then we're going to need a big piece of paper.

I much prefer people who accept that they make mistakes, apologise and try to do better than those that blindly push on. Look at Trump's approach to this, truly shocking.

16 minutes ago, quilp said:

Hang on, what about Ursula's grovelling apology on behalf of the bloc and its failures toward Italy only days ago? So much for mutual co-operation. 

I heard about this but I have been rather busy with the covid-19 outbreak to stay up to date with developments.  I never said the EU was perfect I simply said it encouraged international co-operation.  If every country acted individually then trying to co-ordinate a response to a global pandemic becomes extremely difficult and countries will spaff money up the wall on "defence" and round and round we go.

Have you noticed the amount of animosity now being directed at China based on rumours rather than fact?  If China were developing a biological weapon then by all means sanction them and deal with it.  If they covered up the extent of the outbreak then condemn them but try and co-operate with them.  If it is a natural (and I use that word carefully) development of the coronavirus then just get on with working together to find a vaccine. 

8 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Have you noticed the amount of animosity now being directed at China based on rumours rather than fact?  If China were developing a biological weapon then by all means sanction them and deal with it.  If they covered up the extent of the outbreak then condemn them but try and co-operate with them.  If it is a natural (and I use that word carefully) development of the coronavirus then just get on with working together to find a vaccine. 

China absolutely lied and continue to do so about the impact of the virus in their own country. Today they've admitted their figures were wrong and have added ~1200 deaths to their total. It is inconceivable that that will be the extent of it.

Blaming them for the failures of everyone else is pretty stupid though.

Edited by TheTeapot

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

China absolutely lied and continue to do so about the impact of the virus in their own country. Today they've admitted their figures were wrong and have added ~1200 deaths to their total. It is inconceivable that that will be the extent of it.

Blaming them for the failures of everyone else is pretty stupid though.

Part of the issue is that countries are measuring and reporting the figures in different ways.  As has been pointed out the UK was only counting deaths in hospital and not those in care homes or private homes so the true figures may be much higher.

40 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I heard about this but I have been rather busy with the covid-19 outbreak to stay up to date with developments.  I never said the EU was perfect I simply said it encouraged international co-operation.  If every country acted individually then trying to co-ordinate a response to a global pandemic becomes extremely difficult and countries will spaff money up the wall on "defence" and round and round we go.

That's precisely what happened anyway. Individual countries were doing their own thing, shutting their own borders while Brussels was stamping its feet screaming you can't do that. It will be interesting to see what sort of EU emerges from all of this. When the chips are down nation states will always look to themselves. 

• Like 1