COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

45 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Errrr

Only all of the brexiteers it would seem.

After all, he is their cheerleader....

@Shake me up Judy

I said ‘Who in their right mind...’ so that excluded the Johnson-fawning element of the Brexiteers.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

Cue Woolley with an ‘apolitic’ robust defence of de Pfeffer. 

It’s de Pfeffel actually, but you’re right...the defences of this shameless, stumbling incompetent will become increasingly arcane and distorted. I’m actually looking forward to it. Genuinely. We all need a laugh at present. 

Elect a clown, expect a circus.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Uhtred said:

It’s de Pfeffel actually, but you’re right...the defences of this shameless, stumbling incompetent will become increasingly arcane and distorted. I’m actually looking forward to it. Genuinely. We all need a laugh at present. 

Elect a clown, expect a circus.

I notice that Downing Street has issued an "unprecedented" rebuttal of the ST piece, which simply put a decent timeline around reports being published for weeks by papers like the Grauniad. So "unprecedented" in this case means the reports are therefore true.

I had a quick look at the "rebuttal" which was surprisingly (not) a fair way down on the Wail site. It just seems a lot of "no it wasn't" with lots of waffle that is insubstantial and can't be substantuated.

This caught my eye though Examples of scientific commentary from the time:

which then gives examples of scientific folks basically saying "we know nothing" the inference being, of course, that there was no reason to be alarmed.

Needless to say all the scientific folk going "Holy shit!" simply weren't worth worrying about. Isn't that right Dom?

Like those the "herd immunity" nonsense would have culled...

UK ONS has just issued COVID19 deaths statistics which incorporate care home deaths and deaths outside hospitals.

It hikes the UK Govt's official figure (which is hospital deaths only) by 41% (source, Sky News).

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

What on earth are these people doing...?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/21/government-misses-out-on-14m-facemasks-for-nhs-in-four-weeks

Government misses out on 16m facemasks for NHS in four weeks

Companies say their offers to supply much-needed PPE have been met with silence  

The government has missed opportunities to secure at least 16m face masks for NHS staff in the past four weeks, amid growing frustration from companies who say Britain is losing much-needed equipment to other countries.

As ministers faced relentless questions over a shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE) in hospitals, suppliers said their offers to deliver UK-standard face masks were being met with silence from the government.

And on another day of chaos over the government’s PPE procurement, a senior civil servant said that its decision to stay out of a joint EU scheme was politically motivated. However he was ordered to clarify his claim within hours after he was contradicted by the health secretary, Matt Hancock.

On 4/19/2020 at 1:04 PM, pongo said:

The plot thickens.

The ST's piece about Bozo and his administration's lackadaisical approach to the inevitable onset of Covid-19 caused quite a stir. No less than in No 10 where a rebuttal was put out ASAFP. They were mostly about semantics, a la Roger, but then being up against facts leaves you little wriggle room. But the idea of the rebuttal was probably to prevent MSM like the BBC picking it up and running with it and in that it was successful. 

Unfortunately it appears they picked on the wrong person. Part of the rebuttal:

Claim - ‘This was despite the publication that day of an alarming study by Chinese doctors in the medical journal The Lancet. It assessed the lethal potential of the virus, for the first time suggesting it was comparable to the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, which killed up to 50 million people.'

Response - The editor of the Lancet, on exactly the same day – 23 January - called for “caution” and accused the media of ‘escalating anxiety by talking of a ‘killer virus’ and ‘growing fears’. He wrote: ‘In truth, from what we currently know, 2019-nCoV has moderate transmissibility and relatively low pathogenicity. There is no reason to foster panic with exaggerated language.’ The Sunday Times is suggesting that there was a scientific consensus around the fact that this was going to be a pandemic – that is plainly untrue. 

The editor of The Lancet, Richard Horton FRCP FMedSci, responded with this:

Just for the record: The UK government is deliberately rewriting history in it's ongoing COVID-19 disinformation campaign.

My Jan 24 tweet called for caution in UK media reporting. It was followed by a series of tweets drawing attention to the dangers of this new disease.

So the editor of The Lancet ended up rebutting no 10's rebuttal.

You just couldn't make it up.

No 10 is refusing ROI's. Why could that be I wonder...?

I thought this was particularly ironic:

"The Sunday Times is suggesting that there was a scientific consensus around the fact that this was going to be a pandemic – that is plainly untrue. "

It is thought the virus reached the UK in mid January...

UK COVID deaths 763 for yesterday. A rise in the number of London area COVID deaths too.

Meanwhile, new information out of China suggests that the virus is mutating. Spain reports another 400 deaths and extends lockdown. Source Sky News.

Edited by Non-Believer
Revision
  • Thanks 1

It’s not a pleasant way to go though and we have no idea yet as to then long term damage done to the deep alveoli in the lungs.

I’ve been wired up for fifteen minutes a day with a nebuliser filled with colloidal silver. I’ve read everything that tells me I’m wasting my time but with that and my Wim Hoff breathing (and throwing myself in the river once a day) I feel as though my lungs are as clear as they’ve ever been. Placebo or no, I’m carrying on. Frankly, I’ve got fuck all else to do anyway. 

7 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Just dry yourself off properly before you start messing with that electricity again!:sweat:

Funnily enough I’ve got a big job on today wiring up some ceiling pendants and making two pendants out of one because I’m not smart enough to do two separate ones. I’m also not so good on a step ladder. I might be one of those ones that medics are advising to give DIY a miss. I’ll see you tomorrow. Hopefully. 

• Like 2