COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

Looks like Bojo may be about to go some way to stopping a lot of Happy Little Xmases on account of the new strain, possible further lockdown conditions to be applied. News conference due shortly....

As France bans the movement of all "accompanied freight" from Britain into France for 48 hours, ostensibly on the grounds of Britain's new pet strain of COVID.....

Park your artic up over there please.

Many other countries now imposing travel bans on British pax.

Nigel Farage is currently getting very angry about EU countries closing their borders to the UK. I presume he cannot see the massive hypocrisy in his anger. This is a man who has spent years harping on about the sovereign right to close the UK borders (nb. the UK always could) yet is up in arms when others countries decide to close their own. 

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/nigel-farage-is-angry-that-the-eu-has-taken-control-of-its-own-borders/21/12/?fbclid=IwAR3AlH_vzsgXJ1MOTZ7di1MFp_8s05YoCVEJL38-xJzUtblbvRNvvzWSre0

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, wrighty said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

What's going on in Germany? From leading the world in how to manage the pandemic in the spring, it's all gone pear-shaped.

The second wave does seem to be hitting here quite hard. Still not as bad a many other places but I think familiarity has bred complacency and diligence has dropped. Its going to be a quiet Christmas and a very quiet New Year here. The Germans love their fireworks at New Years but this year sales are banned (they don't want the hospitals having to deal with the usual amount of burnt idiots) and there is an 8:00pm curfew. A bit of relaxation of rules for Christmas but unless things drastically improve I cannot see them dropping this current lockdown on the 10th January as planned.

The UK really seems to lost control of everything, I have absolutely no idea when I will see my parents, brother, sister or UK friends next.

• Thanks 1

A near record 744 covid related daily deaths recorded in UK for last 24hrs. This is getting bad again, we shouldn't lose sight of the liberties we still enjoy here. Although it would also be useful to see which generations/ages are being hit worse now.

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Although it would also be useful to see which generations/ages are being hit worse now.

That information is available, have a play around on the ons site, although theirs is normally a week or so behind. There are some people on r/coronavirusuk who do some pretty good statistical analysis too if you want to find out.

• Thanks 1