COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

A near record 744 covid related daily deaths recorded in UK for last 24hrs. This is getting bad again, we shouldn't lose sight of the liberties we still enjoy here. Although it would also be useful to see which generations/ages are being hit worse now.

England also has more in hospital than in April, by a margin of around 1000. The UK peak will be beaten tomorrow at current rates.

China have somehow managed to keep themselves very low in the numbers of cases reported, and they are 81st in the list, despite their huge population. Their deaths per 1 million population are listed as 3, putting them at 186th out of 220 countries.

Knowing that back in February, they were losing a lot of their medical staff to the disease, never mind the deaths among the general public, I smell a longtail or several.

Have they really only had 4,634 deaths? Do they really have only 368 active cases?

I imagine Wuhan on its own should have been reporting more.

• Like 1

Today's UK figures just out. A further 964 connected deaths and a further 55k+ infections. And they want to send kids back to school to mix?

A tragic 72k now dead in total in UK.

Edited by Non-Believer
typo

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Unfortunately the UK has it very bad, the infection rates and death numbers simply do not lie. They need the vaccine as quick as possible if they want to get any sort of control back over the situation. That article doesn't appear to mention the UK's strategy of delaying the 2nd injection way beyond the manufacturer's recommendation, I'm no viroligist but that smacks of desperation. 

I am reasonably confident that the western world will get the vaccine rolled out pretty quickly, the bigger issue is what happens to the rest of the world. I believe that this is a situation where the world has to help each other, it is a bigger issue than political borders, colour of skin, religion, etc.

• Like 1

"UK records highest-ever 57,752 new Covid-19 infections as health expert warns London faces Tier 5"

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/highest-total-covid-infections-record-155631643.html?re=0&.tsrc=notification-brknews

"Israel zooms past 1 million vaccinations in sprint to vanquish pandemic"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-reaches-1-million-mark-in-vaccinations-far-outpacing-rest-of-world/

Announcements I missed in 2020:-

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-19-wasn-t-only-medical-story-year-here-s-n1251437

With all the tragic deaths and family destruction / separation it pays me to remember the unselfish work in other health arenas that I sometimes take for granted.

Just thought I'd share it, that's all.

Just now, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Scotland is going into a national lockdown tonight, and Boris is setting out next steps for the country at 8PM tonight.

Sturgeon saying that she's more concerned about the situation now than she was about the situation in March last. Schools to remain closed until 1st Feb. Scotland said to be 4 weeks behind London as regards spread of pandemic.