COVID-19 UK & Beyond

Rog

Highest figure to date of UK covid-related deaths reported today (13/01)  at a tragic 1564. Now 84,767 in total.

More deaths now from 2nd wave than from 1st.

New infections confirmed at 47,525.

"R" number stated as between 1 and 1.4

Concerns now about a further new variant eminating from Brazil which may be vaccine-resistant.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

Report out in the UK regarding deaths last year from Covid of people with learning difficulties.

Taking into account potential discrepancies in data collection (some clinical staff would not identify the person to the term ? so there was potential for undernotifcation) the death rate in regard to general population was between 2.3 times higher to up to 6.3 times higher.

I am reliably informed that Learning Disability services on the IoM are one of the better managed services in the DHSC. 

UN investigation team complete their isolation period in Wuhan prior to starting investigations into the origins of the Covid outbreak. Apparently it took months of negotiation before they were allowed entry.

UK on the cusp of banning flights from Brazil (and some other SA countries) over fears about the new variant (notwithstanding that Brazil has already banned flights from UK over their fears about ours).

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

On 1/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, boswellian said:

Be scared. Be really scared. Because it is not good for the immune system. Neither is becoming a couch potato. Neither is not obtaining natural vitamin D from sunshine. Countries which have been imposing mask laws for some time report an increase in bacterial respiratory system issues. And why oh why are masks not disposed of as toxic waste? Imagine it’s Ebola, would you discard the mask in public? How does the virus know if people are out after curfew. ( in place in some areas)? Why does no one mention looking after the immune system? Why is an inadequately tested vaccine the only answer? (Normally it takes several years to test. Long term effects are unknown).  Just a few matters that perplex me. (By the way I am in the ‘vulnerable’ group). Why is it ok to traumatize children so that they are afraid to engage with their grandparents and suffer nightmares and stress? Sounds like child abuse to me. Why are emergency teams trained to reassure, not to cause panic and stress? Yet governments seem to be doing their utmost to practice the latter? Just a few things going through my head. What I fear is the fix. The inadequately tested vaccine, or the Klaus Schwab reset. If you wish to live in fear and dread and protect yourself to the hilt, please do so. But other opinions should also be acceptable and not simply dismissed. Seems extremely dangerous to me when there is only one truth and only one acceptable set of experts. 

Btw. My father was a D day veteran, suffered injury in the war, Desert Rat etc. and I know exactly what his views on the present situation would be. And I understand why he thought that way.

That's the magic behind it, vaccine development is usually slow for a number of reasons.

Volunteers

Paperwork

Funding

are the big 3. When you've suddenly got everyone wanting to get the same thing done, and there's the funding to do so, everything speeds up.

Think of driving through London, now think of driving through London with every traffic light being changed in anticipation of you passing, and any other traffic on the road being shooed out of the way.

The trials haven't been done any differently, the difference is that we've had lots of volunteers, everyone working to get things done, so you don't have piles of results waiting to be analysed, and in the case of some of the vaccines, like the Oxford one, the approach had already been tested for other viruses.

The vaccines have all been analysed in the same way, the regulators had one difference this time. Instead of getting one big report at the end, they've been fed the data in real-time, so they would've known of any issues immediately, or how successful the trials were being.

Curfews on the other hand are based on human behaviour. Think how much more amorous you become in the dance halls into the early hours of the morning. Much less likely when you're tucked up at home by a sensible hour.

You discuss truth, and we address what science is. Science is not truth, science is the study and observation of things as they are. Scientific knowledge changes based on evidence. And the approach taken towards the virus has changed with that. As it does with many things. Unfortunately, the science informs us, that unchecked, our hospital would readily become overrun if the virus runs rampant.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Balanced reporting from the bbc.

7DCEF1C3-D335-4E44-828A-DAB1C958BC11.jpeg

the majority of the BBC's reporting in the last 12 months on all topics has been shambolic at best, compounded by the Tory cheerleading squad led by Laura Kuenssberg blaming anyone but the government about the food parcel scandal.

UK Covid figures for today (15/01). 55,761 new infections, 1280 deaths. Total UK deaths now in excess of 87,000. Tragically staggering.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 1

Bojo (finally) announces negative test proof requirement for UK ports of entry. All travel corridors to end from 4AM Monday.

UK Covid hospital admissions now @ 37,000. Numbers of deaths anticipated to continue to rise with ongoing infection spread, average now 1066 daily.

Global death toll now passes 2 Million (Johns Hopkins).

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit