Right Wing Vs Left Wing

Rog

1 minute ago, mojomonkey said:

I have fond memories of watching Summerbee on the right wing and Johnstone on the left wing for Sunderland in the late 90s. Both of them linking up with Quinn and Philips was great.

Oh the Quinn Philips partnership was superb for a team with proper wingers.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh the Quinn Philips partnership was superb for a team with proper wingers.

They were superb.

I'm still smarting from the fact that even though Philips managed to win the Premier League Golden Boot and the European Golden Shoe in 99/00 he was unused in EURO 2000.

45 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

I think you're mistaken. The first actual post of any meaning was about Ryan Giggs and that lead onto Lionel Messi. Can you point out exactly where it was decided this thread was about politics? Pardon the pun, but you can't move the goalposts!

Read the OP.

1 minute ago, Rog said:

Read the OP.

"I've launched this thread in order for views and opinions to be expressed away from other threads that have become messed up."

Not very specific is it, presumably you were referring to the Liverpool and other football threads. Anyway, as you can clearly see this thread is about football, feel free to start a new one if you have a different topic but I am politely asking you to stop spamming this one.

16 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

"I've launched this thread in order for views and opinions to be expressed away from other threads that have become messed up."

Not very specific is it, presumably you were referring to the Liverpool and other football threads. Anyway, as you can clearly see this thread is about football, feel free to start a new one if you have a different topic but I am politely asking you to stop spamming this one.

You're. Funny!

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I like a proper old fashioned winger. Obviously I'm not a Man Utd fan, but I did like the Giggs on the left Kanchelskis on the right proper wing play back then. When Blackburn won the league the had a pair of proper wingers too.

Pace on both flanks and both capable of crossing and scoring.  Beckham was a great player but never got me on the edge of my seat in the way Kanchelskis did.

Trying to think who Blackburn had on the wings?  Jason Wilcox on the left?

2 minutes ago, Rog said:

Well I guess people talking balls on this thread is about the same as the resident Left Wing Loony talking balls on other threads!

Roger, you've been asked politely once already, please stop spamming this thread. Feel free to start a new one if you have a specific topic to discuss.

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Pace on both flanks and both capable of crossing and scoring.  Beckham was a great player but never got me on the edge of my seat in the way Kanchelskis did.

Trying to think who Blackburn had on the wings?  Jason Wilcox on the left?

Stuart Ripley?

21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah Wilcox and Ripley, premier league winners

As a Liverpool fan what was your view on McManaman?  Always struck me as a good player but lacking something.  

When did the out and out winger die out?  As a United fan I do like Daniel James as he feels like a throwback although a but wasteful with his final ball.  

25 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

As a Liverpool fan what was your view on McManaman?  Always struck me as a good player but lacking something.  

When did the out and out winger die out?  As a United fan I do like Daniel James as he feels like a throwback although a but wasteful with his final ball.  

I loved Macca, watched him and Rob Jones completely dominate their side of the pitch at Forest when I was about 13, absolutely amazing. A fair few people still underrate him in my view, but he scored the winner in a European cup final for Real, and the year that Zidane scored THAT goal McManaman was the whole reason they were even in the final. He's dreadful as a pundit though.

I suspect Daniel James is going to become a very fine player indeed. He's only young and mostly relying on enthusiasm and pace right now. Give him a couple of years to really learn his stuff and I could end up hating him.

I suppose the fact that not many teams play with 2 up top these days has led to the decline of the traditional winger, along with the efforts of Cafu and Roberto Carlos showing it was possible to use your full backs as wingers instead, although Bayern had huge success with Ribery and Robben for the best part of a decade until recently.

21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I suppose the fact that not many teams play with 2 up top these days has led to the decline of the traditional winger, along with the efforts of Cafu and Roberto Carlos showing it was possible to use your full backs as wingers instead, although Bayern had huge success with Ribery and Robben for the best part of a decade until recently.

Not many traditional centre forwards left in the game either now.  

Archived