Right Wing Vs Left Wing

Rog

Willie Morgan too. Him and Bestie were quite a combination. Plenty of action of both of them on YouTube. I used to do business in NI regularly and every taxi driver who picked me up from the airport would take me to the house George grew up in on the way to the Wellington Park. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Football season is over what do we think should happen in terms of silverware, etc. I think Liverpool should be declared champs as they have been so much better than the rest, and so far ahead. Leicester and Chelsea to get the next CL places, and Sheff Utd to play off against Man Utd for fourth spot. Suspend promotion and relegation for this year. Domestic Cup comps can just be written off. Atletico to get the CL for knocking out the holders.

2 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

If the Football season is over what do we think should happen in terms of silverware, etc. I think Liverpool should be declared champs as they have been so much better than the rest, and so far ahead. Leicester and Chelsea to get the next CL places, and Sheff Utd to play off against Man Utd for fourth spot. Suspend promotion and relegation for this year. Domestic Cup comps can just be written off. Atletico to get the CL for knocking out the holders.

Shit loads of court cases will result if it's sorted like that.

My guess...Given the lack of vaccine (a year away at least) I think they'll have to finish this season 2019/20, restarting possibly July or even Sept and late start the 2020/21 season from January 2021. They'll be no Euro matches till summer 2021 (no champions league etc.) given the crammed fixtures, and so these other  competitions will miss a whole year. Normal football (UK/Europe wide) will result after summer 2021 only.

In the old days a right-winger was right-footed and a left-winger left-footed, but about fifteen to twenty years ago there was a fashion of playing right-footed players on the left and visa-versa, the idea being that they’d cut in rather than cross. Anyone remember any successful teams that tried it? 

11 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

In the old days a right-winger was right-footed and a left-winger left-footed, but about fifteen to twenty years ago there was a fashion of playing right-footed players on the left and visa-versa, the idea being that they’d cut in rather than cross. Anyone remember any successful teams that tried it? 

Probably driven by the lack of quality left-footed wingers.  England struggled with that for years.

Ryan Giggs or Peter Weir on the Left
Ronaldo or Luis Figo on the Right

The political version of this debate is pointless. You cant hold centre ground politics currently because the right will accuse you of being a leftie, and the left accuse you of being a Nazi. 

Historically, we have always seen British politics go in cycles, when the country lurches too far to one side at an election, it self corrects at the next election. What we have now is a schism, a popularised belief that you must have one view or the other, and it goes back to the Brexit referendum. You cant want the economy to succeed and the additional tax revenue spent on infrastructure or social projects. You have to either want the economy to be solely for the benefit of the people with no reinvestment, or you have to want the economy to be solely for the benefit of business and all revenue to be reinvested. 

Economists will tell you that like anything else, you do need to invest revenue back into the areas that created the profit in the first place in order to create a slow and steady economic growth. You cant take too much of that revenue and reinvest it infrastructure (including social spending) as it slows growth. 

In an economy where we have just cut ourselves off from our biggest trading partner of the last 40 years, its clear that a bump in the road like that would have dire consequences. We need slow, steady growth otherwise people will lose their jobs. 

However the approach we have now in Government, which is Economic Growth or Bust, just hit its first, very unexpected roadblock. Coronavirus. 

The lack of investment in infrastructure and social spending (over an extended period) means we have a Health Service which is not capable of dealing with a national epidemic, hence the rather confused looking approach being provided by Government to deal with the outbreak. 

Archived