easy jet

doc.fixit

4 minutes ago, Sentience said:

Long distance lengthy phone calls paid for by the ticketholder....me. A number that was very difficult to find and not offered on their website.

Not just that, but please remember the absolutely 'incredeeeble' fare increases they introduced immediately Flybe announced their demise....GREEDY...seemples!

Fare prices are easily explained. The booking system automatically increases them when demand is high, and demand will have been triggered as soon as Flybe ticketholders tried to rebook on Easy. There won't have been someone in an office saying "Let's screw the Isle of Man."

I do sympathise. I was just trying to add some background and context to the conditions they are operating (or not) under. As for greed, I said what I said. If they were hanging on to a few grand of my hard earned then absolutely, I would be miffed too, but I do understand why they are.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've made 3-5 hundred million pounds in cleared profits every year for the last 5. And loads before that too. Hugely profitable businesses should be looking to their shareholders as well as government handouts.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

They've made 3-5 hundred million pounds in cleared profits every year for the last 5. And loads before that too. Hugely profitable businesses should be looking to their shareholders as well as government handouts.

Shareholders are taking the losses as I posted. Investing in airlines is not a bowl of cherries at the best of times. There is always the risk of volatility. A volcano here, a terrorist there, a pandemic..............  Easyjet is no exception; and now is not the best of times.

So they made hundreds of millions in profit. Hugely profitable, you say. Sounds great in the populist press for sure. But there are a LOT of shares in issue to divide that moolah between, and the small matter of retained earnings for future investment.

The total of dividend for the past 5 years cumulatively is £2.524 per share. Since Feb 20th the shares have crashed in value from £15.085 to £6.812, a capital loss of £8.273 in 7 weeks. In 2015 they reached £19.15, a capital loss to date of £12.34, so take the £2.524 in dividends  (less tax of course) from the £12.34 loss, and an investor who bought in 5 years ago to take advantage of this bonanza of which you speak, is now sitting on a paper loss of £9.816 as his reward for each share he bought in 2015. Now of course, the share price is likely going to come back, to some extent, but nobody knows to what extent or when given global uncertainties about travel. And future dividends? Well don't hold your breath with a billion pounds of additional debt taken on and no real indication of demand in the market. I wouldn't hold airline stocks as an investment. There are much easier ways to make money.

7 hours ago, woolley said:

Shareholders are taking the losses as I posted. Investing in airlines is not a bowl of cherries at the best of times. There is always the risk of volatility. A volcano here, a terrorist there, a pandemic..............  Easyjet is no exception; and now is not the best of times.

So they made hundreds of millions in profit. Hugely profitable, you say. Sounds great in the populist press for sure. But there are a LOT of shares in issue to divide that moolah between, and the small matter of retained earnings for future investment.

The total of dividend for the past 5 years cumulatively is £2.524 per share. Since Feb 20th the shares have crashed in value from £15.085 to £6.812, a capital loss of £8.273 in 7 weeks. In 2015 they reached £19.15, a capital loss to date of £12.34, so take the £2.524 in dividends  (less tax of course) from the £12.34 loss, and an investor who bought in 5 years ago to take advantage of this bonanza of which you speak, is now sitting on a paper loss of £9.816 as his reward for each share he bought in 2015. Now of course, the share price is likely going to come back, to some extent, but nobody knows to what extent or when given global uncertainties about travel. And future dividends? Well don't hold your breath with a billion pounds of additional debt taken on and no real indication of demand in the market. I wouldn't hold airline stocks as an investment. There are much easier ways to make money.

EasyJet is in a mess. Stelios still holds c.35% but has been dead against the continued expansion. They are now trying to cancel a £4bn Airbus order. He’s said that when they return to the skies, it will be like a start up again, with the most profitable routes getting opened up first. And he has said they won’t be needing all the aircraft they have for some considerable time.

Another notable player is protecting beyond September for being closed. And of course, BA stock is now downgraded to junk by Fitch. 

13 hours ago, woolley said:

Fare prices are easily explained. The booking system automatically increases them when demand is high, and demand will have been triggered as soon as Flybe ticketholders tried to rebook on Easy. There won't have been someone in an office saying "Let's screw the Isle of Man."

I do sympathise. I was just trying to add some background and context to the conditions they are operating (or not) under. As for greed, I said what I said. If they were hanging on to a few grand of my hard earned then absolutely, I would be miffed too, but I do understand why they are.

13 hours ago, woolley said:

I think most people know that there is an algorithm that goes in to calculating seat prices and yes the immediate rise in demand would have caused the seat prices to rise. However at that time somebody at Easyjet should have over written the model and not put out return flights costs £600 or more for a 30 minute flight. By any standard that is not right I am amazed anyone would try to defend it! Whilst someone at Easyjet was not necessarily saying lets take advantage someone absolutely knew what was going on and they never did anything about it. 

It's a view. And I'm not defending it, merely seeking to explain. It's the business model. £14 for the same flight is equally ridiculous but you don't see anyone complaining that it isn't economically realistic as they snap the bargains up. 

19 hours ago, woolley said:

Easyjet should have heeded Stelios' warnings. Air travel was never going to continue on the same trajectory, once you factor in the increasing focus on climate change and the political will behind it. Greed overtook sound business planning.   

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Easyjet should have heeded Stelios' warnings. Air travel was never going to continue on the same trajectory, once you factor in the increasing focus on climate change and the political will behind it. Greed overtook sound business planning.   

Oh wise one

20 minutes ago, quilp said:

Fuck me, you're on a roll tonight Dilli... 

Maybe well “oiled” for the job. 
The ability to absorb bull shit is diluting by the day. Some fuckers don’t learn.

edit to add that “lxxx” pisses me off more than any other poster

Also loved up by family who are on the front line fighting this evil virus and junior family members, old beyond their years ,who appreciate what our family are going trough. Lots of you don’t have a fuckin* clue

Archived