easy jet

doc.fixit

1 hour ago, Manx Expat said:

...I’d rather not have to go to the Commis. Firstly due to cost and secondly I have no idea what the set up there is for home workers as I would need to be online and able to access company systems via Citrix which my apartment is fully set up for. Does anyone know if people have home worked at the Commis? They all looked like pensioners to me. 

I'm sure I heard on the radio they had access to wi-fi at the Comis. Citrix works quite well even on a lot of low BW connections.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure that it done on the advice of these famed 'clinicians' or rather with their advice.  If the basic decision has been made anyway (to admit people, to formally quarantine them), then no doubt the best medical advice regarding the details will given within the practical restrictions there already are (such as how long people should be quarantined for).  But I do rather get the impression that whenever anything gets challenged, Quayle just starts blubbering "A big boy (in a white coat) did it and he ran away!"   You saw this in his exchanges with Caine last week as well.  He seems unable to either take responsibility or explain why the advice he was given is correct.

In fact a much better way to handle the quarantine of those arriving back on the Island would have been to force them to isolate at home and monitor this by random checks.  This is what was done in Malta for instance (see the end of this article) and there were hefty fines for those who broke the rules.

Whether the advice was "with" or "of" the clinicians is largely semantics. Because, as Declan has alluded to, the Cabinet Office were always going to add their spin on it anyway. In much the same way as they've screwed up or interpreted the difference between guidance and law. 

HRH The CM and all of his Ministers have, from day one, always claimed that they were acting either with or on the advice of the clinicians, that in itself was most probably on the advice of or with the AG! 

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Because, as Declan has alluded to, the Cabinet Office were always going to add their spin on it anyway. In much the same way as they've screwed up or interpreted the difference between guidance and law. 

I’m maybe now changing my mind a bit. Sent back by civil servants. Computer says - no! Yet a key worker with no connection to the IOM can come here and start work the very next day. No isolation, no test. The shame of being a “non-essential” person. 

40 minutes ago, Manx Expat said:

I’m maybe now changing my mind a bit. Sent back by civil servants. Computer says - no! Yet a key worker with no connection to the IOM can come here and start work the very next day. No isolation, no test. The shame of being a “non-essential” person. 

The key worker cannot go to work the next day. Listen again. Key worker doesn't have to go to the Comis, but does have to self isolate and has been made aware of the penalties.

I'm not saying it's right or that I agree with the disparity in treatment, but saying that the key worker can go to work the next day after arrival is incorrect.

15 minutes ago, Zarley said:

The key worker cannot go to work the next day. Listen again. Key worker doesn't have to go to the Comis, but does have to self isolate and has been made aware of the penalties.

I'm not saying it's right or that I agree with the disparity in treatment, but saying that the key worker can go to work the next day after arrival is incorrect.

My granddaughter obtained Cabinet Office approval to travel as a key worker - joining IOM Constabulary -  she has just completed two weeks self isolating at my address where she intends to reside permanently. 

13 minutes ago, forestboy said:

My granddaughter obtained Cabinet Office approval to travel as a key worker - joining IOM Constabulary -  she has just completed two weeks self isolating at my address where she intends to reside permanently. 

Why should she be treated any different to us proles who are to be banged up for our own protection and charged a grand for our keep just because she’s a key worker? Government is just applying different rules on ordinary people. Maybe we’re just so thick we can’t follow basic instructions.

7 minutes ago, Manx Expat said:

Why should she be treated any different to us proles who are to be banged up for our own protection and charged a grand for our keep just because she’s a key worker? Government is just applying different rules on ordinary people. Maybe we’re just so thick we can’t follow basic instructions.

Get onto your MHK and push for change 

Just now, Golfer said:

Get onto your MHK and push for change 

I’m just getting fed up. I only came on here to try to find out what’s going but as with the IOMs usualdefault position it’s not about doing what is sensible or right for Manx people. It’s about doing what a load of self-important twats tell you to do to perpetuate their own jobs. I despair more than I did before I logged on here to be honest. Nowhere else in the world has used this situation to create Guantanamo Bay on a golf course. 

1 minute ago, PaulJ said:

Drama queen

Try being away from home in a cheap Yorkshire B&B for 6 weeks working off your laptop with the emerging prospect that you’re probably going to be let go if you don’t get back to the IOM and pay £1,000 to be incarcerated as your perspective on what counts as drama in your life.

1 minute ago, Manx Expat said:

Try being away from home in a cheap Yorkshire B&B for 6 weeks working off your laptop with the emerging prospect that you’re probably going to be let go if you don’t get back to the IOM and pay £1,000 to be incarcerated as your perspective on what counts as drama in your life.

6 months in Bosnia and 17 months in Iraq was quite dramatic at times

21 minutes ago, Manx Expat said:

Are you the guy in the video? 

Archived