easy jet

doc.fixit

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, pongo said:

The old business models no longer exist. No bad thing in many ways.

I'm sure that many will look back with some nostalgia to the era of city-breaks and cheap flights to Coatia and Tel Aviv. But it will be nice to have more space. And less pollution.

And that extra runway is unlikely to be needed. 

I disagree.

It may take some time but things will return to normal.  The mass public like their travel and holidays.  That isn't going to disappear.

It is more a question of when it returns and which airlines are around.

@The Dog's Dangly Bits - I'm betting that many aircraft will have fewer seat from now on. That will impact ticket prices.

I believe it unlikely that middle class travellers will want to travel super-economy from now. Being packed into a germ filled cabin with no leg room was never a great experience. So perhaps that's an opportunity for a different model.

One size fits already all wasn't working.

Looking to the reopening of air services for the island I have come to the conclusion that EasyJet are likely to concentrate on their “fatter” routes and not provide us with the service we have come to  enjoy.  Consequently, with a distinct lack of other airlines available I believe that we need to take the lead in establishing an island based operation for ourselves.  I don’t consider a government run airline to be a viable solution as costs would undoubtedly be prohibitive .  However, there is currently an airline sitting in the wings with the right aircraft, IOM operating experience, and a maintenance facility nearby, namely Stobart Aviation.

Now is the time for our government to negotiate a deal with them.  If they provide an island operating base we would protect their routes and offer other incentives to them, even possibly some subsidies.  This would ensure the we get the service the island needs, with times and destinations best suited to the travellers and not just aircraft spare availability.

Finally, I have no connections with Stobart Aviation and have thoroughly enjoyed the EasyJet budget experience, Sadly I just don’t see it being on their priority list !

Wouldn't we avoid the quarantine requirement as we ,along with Eire, belong to the Common Travel Area.

I presume that is why Eire is the only country in the world which is excluded from the quarantine?

1 hour ago, pongo said:

@The Dog's Dangly Bits - I'm betting that many aircraft will have fewer seat from now on. That will impact ticket prices.

I believe it unlikely that middle class travellers will want to travel super-economy from now. Being packed into a germ filled cabin with no leg room was never a great experience. So perhaps that's an opportunity for a different model.

One size fits already all wasn't working.

How "wasn't it working"?

44 minutes ago, Cypman said:

Looking to the reopening of air services for the island I have come to the conclusion that EasyJet are likely to concentrate on their “fatter” routes and not provide us with the service we have come to  enjoy.  Consequently, with a distinct lack of other airlines available I believe that we need to take the lead in establishing an island based operation for ourselves.  I don’t consider a government run airline to be a viable solution as costs would undoubtedly be prohibitive .  However, there is currently an airline sitting in the wings with the right aircraft, IOM operating experience, and a maintenance facility nearby, namely Stobart Aviation.

Now is the time for our government to negotiate a deal with them.  If they provide an island operating base we would protect their routes and offer other incentives to them, even possibly some subsidies.  This would ensure the we get the service the island needs, with times and destinations best suited to the travellers and not just aircraft spare availability.

Finally, I have no connections with Stobart Aviation and have thoroughly enjoyed the EasyJet budget experience, Sadly I just don’t see it being on their priority list !

Easyjet do very well out of their Isle of Man routes.  They dovetail perfectly well with their longer routes which they wouldn't be able to do another rotation on.

Easyjet will be back here as soon as it is possible.

28 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Easyjet do very well out of their Isle of Man routes.  They dovetail perfectly well with their longer routes which they wouldn't be able to do another rotation on.

Easyjet will be back here as soon as it is possible.

I would like to believe you are right but I am of the view that their major route selection after lock down will be a completely new product and we will be less likely to fit into the gaps.

52 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

How "wasn't it working"?

Lack of space (too many seats). Inconvenient times (who really wants to have to get up at 3am to clear security for a 5-30am flight out of Gatwick. Constant upselling. Terrible cabin service. Etc.

The thing which has been missing for the past decade or more has been more expensive services on most European routes. Because one-size-fits all has sucked the middle out of the market.

That said, easyJet has been great for the IOM. The best thing being the Airbus.

6 minutes ago, pongo said:

Lack of space (too many seats). Inconvenient times (who really wants to have to get up at 3am to clear security for a 5-30am flight out of Gatwick. Constant upselling. Terrible cabin service. Etc.

The thing which has been missing for the past decade or more has been more expensive services on most European routes. Because one-size-fits all has sucked the middle out of the market.

That said, easyJet has been great for the IOM. The best thing being the Airbus.

Yet all of your points dont seem to stop Ryanair and Easyjet carrying about 18m passengers a months between them.

That is something that is "working".

There is no market for expensive low volume services.  If there was it is a gap that would be filled.

The reality is the vast majority of short haul European routes are not full of wadded pensioners or business people.  

I can't really fault easyjet on any aspects of what they deliver.

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I can't really fault easyjet on any aspects of what they deliver.

They've been great in many ways. But I doubt we're going back to that.

Who wouldn't really rather have more space and generally nicer service? Instead of travelling on the airline equivalent of National Express.

2 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

There is no market for expensive low volume services.  If there was it is a gap that would be filled.

That's partly because a one-size-fits-all model squeezed the middle out of the market by competing at rock-bottom prices. But do you really want to be on a service run on a shoe-string to compete for basically package holiday travellers?

Like I've said - people who are loaded and travelling in volume are minimal.  They always were.

Travelling is a shit experience anyway.  Especially since 9 / 11.   I actually consider the two or three hours on an easyjet flight to be the better part of the experience. The best travel experience I've had in recent years was our family jaunts on the direct flights.  Turn up and hour before. There in two and a half hours.  Nice 70 ish seater chartered  from BA.  But that is niche.  

The truth is the middle of the market were happy to pay less.    Of course on long haul if you are loaded then you have your options.

Well you're right about 9/11 and we can agree to disagree on the other stuff.

Personally I'd like to see a complete end to cheap airline travel anyhow. It's rotten for the environment. And mass tourism has ruined many of the nicest places on earth.

5 hours ago, pongo said:

Well you're right about 9/11 and we can agree to disagree on the other stuff.

Personally I'd like to see a complete end to cheap airline travel anyhow. It's rotten for the environment. And mass tourism has ruined many of the nicest places on earth.

But where will people get all of their selfies and Instagram photos from? Think of the poor fragile influencers who neeeeeed it.

No, you're right. Get rid of all of the business trips and unnecessary journeys home to the UK for the weekend and you've got yourself a winner. I used to travel on the Friday night - Sunday night Bristol plane and oh boy. Same people every. single. week. Just hop on to Skype ffs

Archived