Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

The roads are not wide and service the traffic that uses them, whether they would be adequate for the traffic that would arise from the usage of the thousands of people who are going to use this hideous folly is another question.   It would have been manners to ask permission before the plans were submitted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

As a Braddan ratepayer this saga is unbelievable, I objected at outset but not even acknowledged by commissioners! They have asked for permission from DOI to load over budget costs onto commercial ratepayers but haven’t heard the outcome yet.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

"Original plans included access through the hospital grounds (…)”

But that’s not necessarily using the hospital roads - that statement would also cover a new access across hospital ground.

eta: anyone seen the plans?   What did they actually mean?

Edited by Jarndyce
eta
  • Confused 1

2cz2y3.jpg.7b10f5e2969543d71cb1953161f3ea36.jpg

Wow not even a week into the New Year and the circus is back.

How did no-one in the design team get an agreement for access in writing prior to planning permission? After all public access is a pretty critical item for a community facility?

If they do have it in writing, then who signed it off on behalf of the DHSC?

How did the builders access the site all this time?

No doubt the PAC will want another enquiry. Not good news for anyone who has presumably signed a lease to run a business from there?

Edited by CallMeCurious
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

But that’s not necessarily using the hospital roads - that statement would also cover a new access across hospital ground.

eta: anyone seen the plans?   What did they actually mean?

Didn’t see them but looks like commissioners we’re supposed to build separate access road from Braddan road but haven’t, there is a footpath from there at corner.

• Confused 1

My understanding (which may be flawed) is that they had permission in 2016 from the then health minister to use the hospital roads. They (subsequently?) sought planning permission for their own access road but were refused. Last year that decision was overturned but by then they were skint and need the new facility to be earning to afford it. They can’t sign leases with tenants without legal access. Meanwhile the DHSS has now refused access.

Confused? You will be after this episode of SOAP…

• Like 3

I can’t see permission granted for a new access road/entrance anytime soon. Perhaps an inquiry or planning battle will ensue?

Also another thing which amuses me, is Andrew Jessop, Braddan Commissioners Chair, and his involvement in all things eco matters. How can you square your eco credibility when you face the real prospect of having to create an entrance/access facilities, which may create havoc with the Roundhouse layout? Not forgetting the additional cost and additional cost for planning and legal matters. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

they had permission in 2016 from the then health minister to use the hospital roads

Planning document 1600601B  shows that the DoI Highways Division gave the thumbs-up for access via the Palatine
Health Centre road. But I am surprised - it is big....

Screenshot_2024-01-05_17-01-30.png.e7098a9d58942ae43def6b46d662baaa.png

25 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I can’t see permission granted for a new access road/entrance anytime soon. Perhaps an inquiry or planning battle will ensue?

Actually it's already been granted in May 2023 as the Manx Radio piece also says.  But they've not built it yet because, as Stu says, they haven't got the money.  Presumably one reason for that is that the original costings didn't include it as they'd been told they could access of the DHSC roads.

42 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Planning document 1600601B  shows that the DoI Highways Division gave the thumbs-up for access via the Palatine Health Centre road. But I am surprised - it is big....

Not necessarily a lot of traffic though, except possibly at pick-up/drop-off for the proposed nursery.  And given that a lot of the prospective tenants were supposed to be health-related - pharmacy, dentist and so on, having access from the Palatine would make sense.  So does a separate access as well of course, but you can see why it wouldn't be essential to start with.

The whole thing looks more like the DHSC throwing their weight around because they can and they've got nothing else to do.  If anything you'd think this should be a Manx Care decision, but they seem to be silent.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not necessarily a lot of traffic though

"children’s soft play area, large multi-use sports hall with its pull-out seating which can double up as a performance or exhibition space and conference facility, gym and exercise studio, nursery, pharmacy, dental practice, therapy suite, treatment room, beauticians, activity classes for babies and children, children’s playground, 500-metre long walking and exercise track". And a sensory garden.

Maybe everyone will get the bus.

I wonder what these beauticians do. Is it something that the local authorities provide free-of-charge?

Edited to add:

It also has a therapy suite. Is this something CrazyDave would be interested in? He might have to change his user name to NormalDave.

Edited by Two-lane
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Banker said:

As a Braddan ratepayer this saga is unbelievable, I objected at outset but not even acknowledged by commissioners! They have asked for permission from DOI to load over budget costs onto commercial ratepayers but haven’t heard the outcome yet.

One or two posters on these boards were aggressively berating people who expressed your sort of concerns and opinions a couple of years back....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1