Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

This island is embarrassing.

So after years of HGVs delivering building supplies, heavy plant, and hundreds of car and van movements a day for builders, plasterers, plumbers, architects etc etc and no issues reported, it’s now not safe for people wanting to use the place to use the exact same roads?

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

So after years of HGVs delivering building supplies, heavy plant, and hundreds of car an van movements a day for builders, plasterers, plumbers, architects etc etc an no issues reported, it’s now not safe for people wanting to use the place to use the exact same roads?

Do you think they'll let me use the Heliport?  Looks like parking is going to be an issue for the lynching next week, so I might use the Choppa! 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Hope so, and I hope the DHSC take action against him if he does? This building is now a sorry shitshow as well as being a millstone around ratepayers necks. 

That's all we need, another expensive DHSC lawsuit.  

Total pandemonium here already….not. But they did install one of those traffic counting loop thingies. And Braddingham Palace has multiple EV chargers which is nice. 

IMG_0514.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpeg

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

So after years of HGVs delivering building supplies, heavy plant, and hundreds of car and van movements a day for builders, plasterers, plumbers, architects etc etc and no issues reported, it’s now not safe for people wanting to use the place to use the exact same roads?

But there hasn't been 'hundreds of car and van movements'.

I've been up there a lot and early hours because we had a friend staying in the hospital accommodation up there and there were probably a dozen vehicles parked and working on the site for most of the time.

I don't think increasing traffic through the hospital site was ever a wise idea. But why did nobody foresee this? Just usual Gov and commissioners spats.

• Like 1

Most of us know that the Roundhouse is going to be a white elephant that will do little for the community except burden it with debt for years to come. The burning question is why this was allowed to happen in the first place. The fact that one elected idiot can get support, borrowing and permission to indulge in an expensive pet project raises some real questions about governance, democracy and financial prudence at local authority and Government levels. 
I am beginning to see a plan here; to burden Braddan and Douglas ratepayers with unaffordable rate demands to give further weight to the case for an all-island rate so that foolish spending can be shared out across the Island. That might appear to be a more palatable option to many, rather than deal with the issues of irresponsible expenditure and living within means. 

39 minutes ago, joebean said:

Most of us know that the Roundhouse is going to be a white elephant that will do little for the community except burden it with debt for years to come. The burning question is why this was allowed to happen in the first place. The fact that one elected idiot can get support, borrowing and permission to indulge in an expensive pet project raises some real questions about governance, democracy and financial prudence at local authority and Government levels. 
I am beginning to see a plan here; to burden Braddan and Douglas ratepayers with unaffordable rate demands to give further weight to the case for an all-island rate so that foolish spending can be shared out across the Island. That might appear to be a more palatable option to many, rather than deal with the issues of irresponsible expenditure and living within means. 

Yes, I suspect the Braddan rates will be significantly higher than all the other areas for a long to come. However, I think that once the access and parking issues are resolved it will be a very busy little place. I'm told that the bookings for the sports hall and courts are already filling up. A work colleague of mine visited yesterday to play basketball and says the cost and facilities are really good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Yes, I suspect the Braddan rates will be significantly higher than all the other areas for a long to come. However, I think that once the access and parking issues are resolved it will be a very busy little place. I'm told that the bookings for the sports hall and courts are already filling up. A work colleague of mine visited yesterday to play basketball and says the cost and facilities are really good.

Actually Braddan rates are 351p which is still lower than six other authorities (Douglas, Onchan, Castletown, Ramsey, Port Erin and Port St Mary).  How long it will stay that way is another matter.

43 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

A work colleague of mine visited yesterday to play basketball and says the cost and facilities are really good.

To be fair it is a good facility.  It's just whether it was really needed (especially by Braddan) and now this whole access debacle. 

13 minutes ago, Kopek said:

What are the MHKs for the area saying about this debacle? Not a lot it would seem?

That would be JPW who doesn't really say anything.  And Stu, who weirdly hasn't said much about it.   Although maybe there is an unwritten code of mutual silence between Councilors and MHKs.