Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

11 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I see Manx Care are looking for an alternative vaccination hub now that their premises in the Chester Street Complex are unfit for purpose.

Maybe they could use the Roundhouse Community Hub.

what changed at chester street ?   it looks to be the same shithole it was when it first opened as a vaccination hub

• Like 3

The Roundhouse may look good and impressive etc, but it was and is a very nice to have, egotistical, vanity project. Housing could have been put on the site, for the hospital which is badly needed. Sporting and a new headquarters are not needed, especially when you have a very short distance away, rugby, football and cricket facilities, with the main sports centre a mile away. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I see Manx Care are looking for an alternative vaccination hub now that their premises in the Chester Street Complex are unfit for purpose.

Maybe they could use the Roundhouse Community Hub.

That old chestnut beloved by government, not up to standards or fit for purpose. Don’t worry, whatever happens will come out of the extra £20million. 

They won’t use the Roundhouse. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Why do they even need a vaccination hub?

They don’t but they love wasting taxpayers money. Perhaps doctors surgeries could administer any immunisation schemes? 

• Like 2

This is the Manx Radio item on the vax hub:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/work-underway-to-find-new-covid-vaccine-hub/

The journalist could have asked

When was it last used

What is the frequency of usage in the 12 months

Is it required only for a once-in-a-century event

And for the ManxForumers who are on-line (and I can see who you are) - when was the last time you had a vax injection in Chester Street?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think some of the sporting groups and clubs might disagree with the assertion that  it's not needed. The NSC, I'm told, is unable to take many more team sports without it affecting existing booking arrangements. 

I’m sorry but the BC should be thinking of the ratepayers not operating in a quasi business scheme. BC exist for residents of Braddan. It’s not for Braddan to put itself in debt to please a few sporting clubs. These sporting clubs won’t give a shit about Braddan ratepayers or residents. I will say a chemist is useful, but it’s not essential, as most people who need a dispensed prescription would go to Douglas, Peel or Onchan. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This is the Manx Radio item on the vax hub:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/work-underway-to-find-new-covid-vaccine-hub/

The journalist could have asked

When was it last used

What is the frequency of usage in the 12 months

Is it required only for a once-in-a-century event

And for the ManxForumers who are on-line (and I can see who you are) - when was the last time you had a vax injection in Chester Street?

I used it a couple of years ago. 

If there are heating issues and water ingress, and the site is owned by us taxpayers, managed by the Department of Incompetents, it. seems that they couldn’t give a shit regarding building maintenance. If this building which is rumoured to be a Marks and Spencer Simply Food and Cafe, then DoI would have to spend mega £££s rectifying all the issues, bring it up to a decent commercial building, ready for shop fitters. 

Just now, 2112 said:

I’m sorry but the BC should be thinking of the ratepayers not operating in a quasi business scheme. BC exist for residents of Braddan. It’s not for Braddan to put itself in debt to please a few sporting clubs. These sporting clubs won’t give a shit about Braddan ratepayers or residents. I will say a chemist is useful, but it’s not essential, as most people who need a dispensed prescription would go to Douglas, Peel or Onchan. 

But some of the members of the sporting clubs you say who don't give a shit also live in Braddan. Three of the 12 basketball team that I mentioned earlier in the thread live in Braddan.  

And I think you're wide of the mark with the pharmacy as well.

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But some of the members of the sporting clubs you say who don't give a shit also live in Braddan. Three of the 12 basketball team that I mentioned earlier in the thread live in Braddan.  

And I think you're wide of the mark with the pharmacy as well.

I still couldn’t  give a shit about sporting clubs, who Braddan residents are now subsidising their hobbies. 

Incidentally, perhaps if Nobles Hospital were creative with their space, in the entrance, perhaps space could be found to open a pharmacy, thereby providing a service and an additional income to Manx Care. 

Here’s another thought, doesn’t St Ninians Lower School have basketball court, and Henry Bloom Noble School also has a sports hall. Ballakermeen has a swimming pool as well. 

Edited by 2112

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Why do they even need a vaccination hub?

Self-importance.  And, as discussed extensively on MF at the time, because it would mean admitting that they were wrong in setting up vaccination 'hubs' in the first place, rather than relying on temporary centres set up in currently unused buildings (eg Villa) and then once the initial rush was over, using GPs etc for boosters.

Manx Care, like other areas of government, loathes having to do things via independent operators like GPs because it hates dealing with people who aren't completely under its control and it hates dealing with people who might know more than it.  So they will continue to want something that is 'theirs'.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

What are the MHKs for the area saying about this debacle? Not a lot it would seem?

I’m in favour of the Roundhouse, and think it will be a useful amenity despite the critics. I wish more people had that kind of vision. I’m frustrated by the access problem and see it as a bit of a needless turf war, especially at this late stage. It’s a shame they can’t just run a dozer to the building from the Strang Stores roundabout and lay a temporary shale roadway until they have the funds to do it properly.

• Like 3