Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

4 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

I am a patient at DATSU there are other entities that are based there, there is very little parking around there so you need have to generally walk from the main car park as Banker has said there are no footpaths it also involves the entry and exit to A and E a less suitable place to increase traffic would be hard to find, safety must be the determining  factor.   

Fear not; lessons will be learned - after you've been run over.

• Like 3

Just now, Tangental99 said:

It’s great to see the Braddan ratepayers get kaned. They’ve been the biggest freeloaders for years. And now it’s changing they’re having a right old blub about it. 

You sound like a disgruntled Douglas ratepayer? Maybe? Who knows? 😂

6 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

I agree - safety is the issue.   But go back a few pages on this thread and some contributors seem to suggest that DHSC are “dog in the manger” bully boys for not allowing use of the roads.   I still wonder to what extent Howard Quayle consulted with the hospital when he gave permission as minister…

Or indeed to what extent Hooper consulted before he withdrew the permission.  But the point is why the emergency services etc seemed happy enough with the proposal at planning stage.  If there had been any real concerns about safety they should have objected then and they don't seem to have.  The only objection seems to be coming from DHSC (in a "Get orf my land" sort of way) not Manx Care or the others.

Of course Quayle was also the local MHK and might have been influenced by that, but even as CM I doubt he would have been able to ignore actually expressed safety concerns.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Of course Quayle was also the local MHK and might have been influenced by that, but even as CM I doubt he would have been able to ignore actually expressed safety concerns.

Not sure Quayle was CM at that time?   Wasn’t he the DHSC minister?   What year did Quayle give his permission?

Edited by Jarndyce
  • Confused 1

On 1/7/2024 at 3:26 PM, Two-lane said:

As part of this proposal the Minister for the Department of Health and Social Care at the time, Howard Quayle, provided written support as part of the application. We refer you to his letter dated 1 August 2016 whereby it was confirmed that “access to the site will be via the hospital grounds”.

Found it!   I knew it was here somewhere!   

Edited by Jarndyce
Added bold
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Still not relevant to what you have quoted !!

In that case, I may have misinterpreted what @Roger Mexico has written.   Not sure what your beef is, though…

Edited by Jarndyce

14 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Not sure Quayle was CM at that time?   Wasn’t he the DHSC minister?

At the start of the planning process, but just made CM at the end.  But I was a bit ambiguous, the point was more that even as CM he wouldn't have been able to suppress genuine worries.

The interesting thing about the planning documents is that entry through the Hospital estate seems to have been accepted as the way to do it without any complaint.  The comments from Highways (downloads) look at parking but accepts that the busiest times will be in the evening and says:

It is also stated that agreement has been reached with the Department for Health & Social Care to use the existing Palatine Health Centre car park (to be increased to 52 spaces) as an overflow facility in evenings and at weekends if necessary

The only query on access is to say there should be "a pedestrian crossing facility provided on Braddan Road to encourage non-car modes of transport".  Otherwise it is stated:

Development vehicular access is proposed via the formation of a new priority junction on the access road to the Palatine Health Centre. This existing access road forms part of the wider Nobles Hospital estate internal road network. It is recognised that the existing access road is a private road.

They bitch a bit that the "submitted Traffic Statement has not attempted to quantify the anticipated trip generation characteristics of the proposed mixed use development" but conclude:

None of the surrounding roads are operating at capacity; the expected level of traffic generated will increase the number of vehicle movements at Braddan Road roundabout, the hospital roundabout and Strang Road roundabout however the majority of the traffic will be at off-peak times lessening the impact.

The DHSC late reversal of their permission doesn't seem to be based on anything but spite and the desire to throw their weight around.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Roger Mexico said:
51 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

At the start of the planning process, but just made CM at the end.  But I was a bit ambiguous, the point was more that even as CM he wouldn't have been able to suppress genuine worries.

It wasn’t ambiguous.  It was perfectly clear 

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

It wasn’t ambiguous.  It was perfectly clear 

The author stated that it was a bit ambiguous.   So, again, what’s your beef?

You’re starting to sound like Cueey.   Bit ironic, under recent circumstances.

5 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

The author stated that it was a bit ambiguous.   So, again, what’s your beef?

You’re starting to sound like Cueey.   Bit ironic, under recent circumstances.

He only said that because you clearly failed to understand it 😂

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...