Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

14 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Requisition meeting called now time and place TBA .    The Captain of the Parish has now been presented with a letter that requests a meeting be called it has the required number of constituents signatures and it is regarding the Round House.   I wonder if Banker is one of the unhappy residents? 

They will have it at the Round House on a weekday so nobody can get there.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Well keep your eyes open for the meeting it is about time the Commissioners were asked a few questions, I get the impression Jessop leads the others by the nose but could be wrong.

There are other unelected egos behind the driving of this project, not just the elected suspects. Let's hope some pertinent questions are asked at this meeting.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Well keep your eyes open for the meeting it is about time the Commissioners were asked a few questions, I get the impression Jessop leads the others by the nose but could be wrong.

I wonder.  I pointed out at the start of this topic that the Commissioners (or at least Jessopp) weren't that happy with the situation and you wonder just how much pressure there was from the government for them to produce a big building project - and this one had been discussed for two decades.  New (as opposed the replacement) social housing is forbidden because it might devalue civil service retirement BTL portfolios so it had to be a community centre (even if Braddan doesn't have much of a common community and no centre).   It always looked a bit odd with the NSC, but we've seen even dafter proposals (eg the Port Erin cafe).

In any case the moving force behind many of these projects turns out to be the Clerk - as we saw in Port St Mary for example - and Braddan has had problems there in the past.  Whatever you say about Jessopp, he was the only one who stood up to Buster when he was on his self-interested rampage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Was up that way today so had a look.  Is access from Ballaoates really going to cause traffic issues for the whole of the site?  I can't imagine that many people will access the hospital from that route. 

There are some important service businesses delayed in opening there.  One of which is the nursery which, I am told, is causing some issues for childcare arrangements where people have terminated their prior arrangements expecting the facility to open.  Seems like one of those situations which a co-operative and collaborative approach would solve.  

It is pointless going over the history, it is built, just sort it. 

PS Had a sausage and egg bap from Strang Stores, it was OK. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Why would IOMG put pressure on Braddan to produce a big building project?

It helps to keep the unemployment figures down for one, right through the building and supply chain. In view of the dearth of other options in the blue collar/tradesman economy, building has been a mainstay in this in recent years.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It helps to keep the unemployment figures down for one, right through the building and supply chain. In view of the dearth of other options in the blue collar/tradesman economy, building has been a mainstay in this in recent years

Well, ok - but what pressure could actually be brought to bear?   Surely in that situation Braddan Commissioners could just refuse and say “we can’t afford it”?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Well, ok - but what pressure could actually be brought to bear?   Surely in that situation Braddan Commissioners could just refuse and say “we can’t afford it”?

They probably should have done in light of what has ensued for their ratepayers but personally I suspect that one or two egos there with connection to Central Govt had smoke blown up their arse (which would greatly appeal to them) and it became their pet project ( 😉 ) Jessopp got carried along for the ride and here we are. As always, the elected will take the rap. 

Was there any public consultation in Braddan about it going ahead, any of the electorate canvassed? If so, how many were actually for it, it was being quoted at £7M from the start (as per this thread) so everybody should have known. Where did anybody think that the money was coming from?

It's been railroaded through all along IMHO and only the ratepayers will be left holding the baby. 

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I hope you're not being racist & ageist? :cool:

If that’s what you want to call it? I am then. Because let’s face facts the only people at this meeting will be white and middle aged. 

15 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I hope the meeting is held at the Roundhouse so people can see what they are paying for and what sort of modern facilities it has.

To be fair, it is quite a good facility.  But the question remains, was it really required?

11 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

and say “we can’t afford it”?

They can't.  That's why they've put the rates up by 30%.

• Haha 1