Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

21 minutes ago, 2112 said:

More handwringing, buck passing and bullshit galore. It’s a shame these parish pump commissioners can’t be surcharged, or IOMG couldn’t take action against them. Voting them out is a necessity, unless IOMG can get involved, and take over, placing temporary commissioners until elections? 

This is the part that matters. Braddan ratepayers need to be venting their spleen in the direction of those controlling their parishes purse strings. Both elected and unelected.

Taking on a multi-million pound project when you haven't got an iota of where the money is to come from is gross misconduct in anybody's book. There needs to be votes of no confidence tabled here.

Screenshot_20240219-190714_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

It was up to DoI Highways. And of course Braddan, and their legal advisers, both when they bought and before they committed to build, should have obtained a proper access easement signed and recorded in the land registry.

The fact there isn’t one, apparently, in the deed by which they bought, 20+ years ago, indicates that access to the site was only ever going to be from the public Highway.

Thats just a letter of support. Not an access agreement. He just says that access will be via the hospital estate roads, which is what the submitted plans showed.

Highways did comment though and didn't object or require any changes (except for pedestrians).  I'm not sure that the situation when the land was bought is relevant because the roads may not have even existed at that time if it was 20+ years ago.  If it has been accepted since that the internal roads were to be used, then the situation isn't clear cut.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If I was a commissioner that stewarded in a 37% rate increase, never mind a 100% one, I would resign and see my position as untenable. It's one thing if there was a mandate around fixing longstanding budget deficit or similar, but this has come out of nowhere (other than indirectly seeing the stalling progress of the Roundhouse) for most ratepayers.

I also don't buy Roger Mexico's theory that they were bullied into it by Government seeking construction spend. It's Braddan's Boondoggle, and whilst Government may have had veto power they're not the promoter and are no more to blame than Jackson's letting you buy an expensive car which you regret when the first monthly payment hits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Highways did comment though and didn't object or require any changes (except for pedestrians).  I'm not sure that the situation when the land was bought is relevant because the roads may not have even existed at that time if it was 20+ years ago.  If it has been accepted since that the internal roads were to be used, then the situation isn't clear cut.

Those roads from Ballaoates Road to the old Ballamona Farm house and the Superintendent Psychiatrist’s house did exist.

Whether or not Highways commented is a side issue. Braddan needed an easement of right of way. They didn’t get one, haven’t got one.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not going to happen as they’ve not done anything illegal or fraudulent just incompetence and the ratepayers voted them in so we’re stuck with them unless they resign.

Waiting to hear when the requisition meeting is, should be a lively affair!

Who voted who in?  I am confused.

1 minute ago, Mercenary said:

I also don't buy Roger Mexico's theory that they were bullied into it by Government seeking construction spend. It's Braddan's Boondoggle, and whilst Government may have had veto power they're not the promoter and are no more to blame than Jackson's letting you buy an expensive car which you regret when the first monthly payment hits.

I've said I don't know, but if you look at the Manx Radio report just before the meeting when they decided to go ahead and listen to the attached sound clip of Jessopp, there's certainly a hint that they were hoping for outside cash because they were providing facilities for the rest of the Island and specifically the Hospital.  And of course Quayle's letter also makes the same point about providing facilities for those living on the Hospital estate.  You can't help wondering if remarks were made by the then CM that  the project would get some sort of support in the circumstances (this was early in the pandemic).

Still doesn't make it a good decision as I said at the time and foolish not to get it all in writing and legally tied up.  But it may explain how they got in this mess.  

12 minutes ago, WTF said:

so who told tossup the rates should go up 100% ?

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

IOMG of course. 

No one. He didn’t actually say they did. They were reminded they had to balance the books.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No one. He didn’t actually say they did. They were reminded they had to balance the books.

If you listen to the clip, Jessopp does actually say that "In a meeting recently with the Minster[s] for Treasury, Health and Infrastructure, we were actually told we should have doubled our rates for next year".  Hence the quotes in the headline.  What actually was said I don't know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

If you listen to the clip, Jessopp does actually say that "In a meeting recently with the Minster[s] for Treasury, Health and Infrastructure, we were actually told we should have doubled our rates for next year".  Hence the quotes in the headline.  What actually was said I don't know.

I wouldn't give that quote too much value... we know Mr. Jessup isn't great with numbers. 

They probably said "you might want to tender your resignation".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

Those roads from Ballaoates Road to the old Ballamona Farm house and the Superintendent Psychiatrist’s house did exist.

Whether or not Highways commented is a side issue. Braddan needed an easement of right of way. They didn’t get one, haven’t got one.

How did the construction and contractor companies get access to the site to build the damned thing?

31 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

How did the construction and contractor companies get access to the site to build the damned thing?

DHSC/Manx Care gave a temporary consent to construction traffic. That would act as a licence, for that purpose, but not a general easement of access.