Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Which is weird.  I can't think of any other Nurseries that have a dedicated crossing right outside. 

For anyone confused by this comment it relates to something later in the Manx Radio story:

Health and Social Care Minister Lawrie Hooper says a planning condition on The Roundhouse means the nursery at the community centre can't open without a pedestrian crossing.

His department oversees the registration of nurseries and childcare businesses and says Braddan Commissioners should’ve been aware of the potential problem when it was in development.

I think there was a planning condition on the whole site as recommended by Highways (downloads):

There should also be a pedestrian crossing facility provided on Braddan Road to encourage non-car modes of transport.

[...] Highway Services does not oppose this application subject to the following condition:

1. Prior to occupation of the building a pedestrian crossing facility is to be provided on Braddan Road in accordance with a plan to be approved by the planning authority.

Reason: in the interest of highway safety

So basically it was just a bit of active travel fluff as you can see from lack even of a precise location, which you would have thought was vital if there was a genuine immediate safety need.  And it's not related to the nursery at all, but general access.  I doubt many infants who are its clients will be making their own way there on foot or hands and knees.

It's not even clear who would be responsible for installing such a crossing - presumably Highways Department themselves, rather than the Commissioners.

And there's obviously an implicit threat there that they would use their power to refuse to register the Nursery, even if a crossing magically appeared.  No doubt the tiles would be wrong shade of blue or whatever.

What is clear is that the DHSC and its mouthpiece Hooper have decided they have it in for this project (despite not having objected) and are doing everything to undermine it, whether it's reasonable or legal or not and not caring how many ordinary people it hurts or how much money is wasted.  It's very similar behaviour to that we saw from them over Ranson - all that matters now is getting their way.  For no better reason than, as Teapot said, they're fucking pricks.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

For anyone confused by this comment it relates to something later in the Manx Radio story:

Health and Social Care Minister Lawrie Hooper says a planning condition on The Roundhouse means the nursery at the community centre can't open without a pedestrian crossing.

His department oversees the registration of nurseries and childcare businesses and says Braddan Commissioners should’ve been aware of the potential problem when it was in development.

I think there was a planning condition on the whole site as recommended by Highways (downloads):

There should also be a pedestrian crossing facility provided on Braddan Road to encourage non-car modes of transport.

[...] Highway Services does not oppose this application subject to the following condition:

1. Prior to occupation of the building a pedestrian crossing facility is to be provided on Braddan Road in accordance with a plan to be approved by the planning authority.

So basically it was just a bit of active travel fluff as you can see from lack even of a precise location, which you would have thought was vital if there was a genuine immediate safety need.  And it's not related to the nursery at all, but general access.  I doubt many infants who are its clients will be making their own way there on foot or hands and knees.

It's not even clear who would be responsible for installing such a crossing - presumably Highways Department themselves, rather than the Commissioners.

And there's obviously an implicit threat there that they would use their power to refuse to register the Nursery, even if a crossing magically appeared.  No doubt the tiles would be wrong shade of blue or whatever.

What is clear is that the DHSC and its mouthpiece Hooper have decided they have it in for this project (despite not having objected) and are doing everything to undermine it, whether it's reasonable or legal or not and not caring how many ordinary people it hurts or how much money is wasted.  It's very similar behaviour to that we saw from them over Ranson - all that matters now is getting their way.  For no better reason than, as Teapot said, they're fucking pricks.

I’m assuming the crossing should go where the footpath access is ie just before crossroads with strang road as all houses are on other side of the road 

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

+1.

Silo mentality at its best.

• Like 2

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

+1.

Silo mentality at its best.

And we're paying for these pricks to play their games to occupy their time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I haven't really kept up with this, but did they get their building control completion certificate. 

Think so.  It's semi open.  The shitstorm is however being caused by the (lack of) access and the 37% rates rise to pay for it. 

13 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I'm going up there with a hi Viz vest on telling everyone they can't park there mate.....

I think you will find that DoI will probably be there, or at least someone being paid overtime. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

What is the intended outcome of the requisition meeting - a reduction in rates a resolution to open it, sack the Commissioners or is it a vanity pitchfork wave by wannabe Commissioners?

I'm not sure that a requisition meeting can do anything except discuss an issue.  It certainly can't change any decisions made by the Board or dismiss them.  At best it can act as moral pressure on the Board to get them to change things. 

The actual wording of the petition was:

To: MR T. P. CALEY, CP, CAPTAIN OF THE PARISH OF BRADDAN

We, the undersigned, request that you, as Captain of the Parish of Braddan, call a requisition meeting to be held in connection with the recently announced rates increase in the Parish, the cost of The Roundhouse and the future funding of The Roundhouse.

So anything covered by that can be discussed.

Of course this revolt would have been more useful if it had taken place nearly four years ago when the decision to go ahead was made or if some of those opposed would have stood in the local election of July 2021. 

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link
  • Like 2

I think I'd be trying to find out who were the real drivers behind this project; and who was responsible for and where the calculations are that showed this project to be affordable to BC, either at the original £4M or the subsequent £7M.

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure that a requisition meeting can do anything except discuss an issue.  It certainly can't change any decisions made by the Board or dismiss them.  At best it can act as moral pressure on the Board to get them to change things. 

The actual wording of the petition was:

To: MR T. P. CALEY, CP, CAPTAIN OF THE PARISH OF BRADDAN

We, the undersigned, request that you, as Captain of the Parish of Braddan, call a requisition meeting to be held in connection with the recently announced rates increase in the Parish, the cost of The Roundhouse and the future funding of The Roundhouse.

So anything covered by that can be discussed.

Of course this revolt would have been more useful if it had taken place nearly four years ago when the decision to go ahead was made or if some of those opposed would have stood in the local election of July 2021. 

I'm not sure on the whys and wherefores of the Braddan Community Centre, but I think I can say without doubt, that as with most things, the place would never have been built if the pitchfork brigade had called a requisition meeting four years ago. I think that sometimes public bodies need to be able to get on with things, without having to pander to people with half an idea of how things work, or what's needed.  

• Like 1