Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

On 2/7/2024 at 8:29 PM, Happier diner said:

Hang on a minute. Most of the cars are visitors. How many in patients take themselves in their cars. Make it a pound an hour. Most people who are out patients will pay a pound. The c*"ts whonpark and ride will pay £8

Sounds like a good plan to me..

You are wrong , most of the spaces are taken by staff . I have worked in every building in the grounds regularly since the hospital opened, as well as when it was constructed. The park and ride thing is also a myth . You see the car parks fill more with each start time of different departments. 

57 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

What is the intended outcome of the requisition meeting - a reduction in rates a resolution to open it, sack the Commissioners or is it a vanity pitchfork wave by wannabe Commissioners?

Dunno, just gives me a chance to dust off the pitch fork, Guy Fawkes mask and hopefully burn some stuff.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I think I'd be trying to find out who were the real drivers behind this project; and who was responsible for and where the calculations are that showed this project to be affordable to BC, either at the original £4M or the subsequent £7M.

You can just about make a case out at £4 million I suspect, being optimistic about lettings and replaced property sales.  I'd have built flats, maybe some sheltered, and a row of business premises that would be convertible to residential if not needed, maybe a nursery.  But we know the government doesn't like new (as opposed to replacement) social housing so that might never have got the go-ahead.

They were clearly spooked when the estimates came in in Spring 2020, but you do wonder if there were assurances from government about finance if they 'did their bit' for construction in the Covid crisis and those assurances proved to be as worthless as the ones about access.

2 hours ago, Bertie Basset said:

You are wrong , most of the spaces are taken by staff . I have worked in every building in the grounds regularly since the hospital opened, as well as when it was constructed. The park and ride thing is also a myth . You see the car parks fill more with each start time of different departments. 

Ok. Fair enough. I was saying though that it's generally not in patients that are taking space ( if you bother the read the thread). Should staff receive free parking? That's another question.  

No the Jessop memorial roundhouse would be more accurate he is the one who has built a white elephant without providing access.    The Hospital Trust is 100% right protecting the patients who have to use that road, without pavements also the extra wear and tear on the road is not acceptable it is not a main road.

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

Maybe the Hospital should have better planned the future use of the site? They have added a lot!

Are you seriously suggesting that The Roundhouse and the surrounding issues should have been foreseen by the hospital planners more than 30 years ago?

Also, “the Hospital” didn’t get everything that was asked for, even at the planning stage - costs and space were being monitored and good ideas from the front line were being shot down, even then…

eta: one example - staff were bussed up to tour the building site in 2002/2003 - asked for comment afterward, nearly every group pointed out that planned parking was inadequate for staff and patients.   This was ignored - and for many years now, the hospital has had inadequate parking.   Everyone spotted it after just one visit - but the planners knew best.

Edited by Jarndyce
eta
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Are you seriously suggesting that The Roundhouse and the surrounding issues should have been foreseen by the hospital planners more than 30 years ago?

Also, “the Hospital” didn’t get everything that was asked for, even at the planning stage - costs and space were being monitored and good ideas from the front line were being shot down, even then…

eta: one example - staff were bussed up to tour the building site in 2002/2003 - asked for comment afterward, nearly every group pointed out that planned parking was inadequate for staff and patients.   This was ignored - and for many years now, the hospital has had inadequate parking.   Everyone spotted it after just one visit - but the planners knew best.

Kopek's point isn't quite as daft as it seems (or maybe was meant to be).  The land was sold to Braddan Commissioners over 20 years ago for use as a community centre, when the site was still being developed.  So you would have expected allowance to be made for its integration into the site as a whole.  But as you say, those configuring the whole site couldn't even get the most basic things right, despite it being pointed out to them.

• Like 2