Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

9 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Everyone spotted it after just one visit - but the planners knew best.

Ha, planners - one step up from Estate Agents and Tax Collectors.  They couldn't plan proverbial in a brewery and continue the concreting-over of the Island while the price is right.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Kopek's point isn't quite as daft as it seems (or maybe was meant to be).  The land was sold to Braddan Commissioners over 20 years ago for use as a community centre, when the site was still being developed.  So you would have expected allowance to be made for its integration into the site as a whole.  But as you say, those configuring the whole site couldn't even get the most basic things right, despite it being pointed out to them.

Maybe the allowance was for it to have it's own acces and car park? After all, if I sell a plot of land adjacent to my house, should I have allowed for them to use my driveway to access their property when they run out money building their house? Caveat emptor.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Maybe the allowance was for it to have it's own acces and car park? After all, if I sell a plot of land adjacent to my house, should I have allowed for them to use my driveway to access their property when they run out money building their house? Caveat emptor.

In which case there would have been conditions on the sale and you can bet we'd have heard about it now.  And in any case the Commissioners had much more recent assurances made at the time of planning.  The fact those assurances turned out to be worthless (or possibly aren't it hasn't been to Court) just shows you should never trust a thing the DHSC and Hooper say.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

In which case there would have been conditions on the sale and you can bet we'd have heard about it now.  And in any case the Commissioners had much more recent assurances made at the time of planning.  The fact those assurances turned out to be worthless (or possibly aren't it hasn't been to Court) just shows you should never trust a thing the DHSC and Hooper say.

It’s the other way around. That site has access to the public highway on two sides.

If it had ever been the intention that the access to the sold off lands be over the retained land roadways then an easement of access would have had to be created in the land sale deed. The fact there wasn’t …

• Thanks 1

Interesting piece from Manx Radio yesterday:

Braddan Commissioners have claimed the authority’s been told not to contact officers at Manx Care about The Roundhouse.  Instead all communication is being directed to the Department of Health and Social Care.   

It follows issues with access to the new community centre; vehicle access to it is due to be restricted from Monday (5 March). Manx Care says its operational staff have been in contact with the local authority, and attended meetings, but the DHSC is taking 'the lead' with the problem.

And there are quotes from Jessopp and Cope in the sound clip.  Clearly if it were left to Manx Care they would be perfectly happy to let the Centre open but with the right to impose restrictions or conditions if usage was found the be causing problems.  It's only DHSC insisting on interfering that is causing any problems, nobody sems to know why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Interesting piece from Manx Radio yesterday:

Braddan Commissioners have claimed the authority’s been told not to contact officers at Manx Care about The Roundhouse.  Instead all communication is being directed to the Department of Health and Social Care.   

It follows issues with access to the new community centre; vehicle access to it is due to be restricted from Monday (5 March). Manx Care says its operational staff have been in contact with the local authority, and attended meetings, but the DHSC is taking 'the lead' with the problem.

And there are quotes from Jessopp and Cope in the sound clip.  Clearly if it were left to Manx Care they would be perfectly happy to let the Centre open but with the right to impose restrictions or conditions if usage was found the be causing problems.  It's only DHSC insisting on interfering that is causing any problems, nobody sems to know why.

Presumably they’ve been told not to contact Manx Care because its remit is to provide health care rather than deal with issues relating to roads on the hospital estate. You would not approach the Chief Constable about acquiring a right of way through a police station car park

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Thomas Dalby said:

Presumably they’ve been told not to contact Manx Care because its remit is to provide health care rather than deal with issues relating to roads on the hospital estate. You would not approach the Chief Constable about acquiring a right of way through a police station car park

You may consult their view though...

35 minutes ago, Banker said:

Hope so, and I hope the DHSC take action against him if he does? This building is now a sorry shitshow as well as being a millstone around ratepayers necks. 

• Like 1