Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

3 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I’m in favour of the Roundhouse, and think it will be a useful amenity despite the critics. I wish more people had that kind of vision. I’m frustrated by the access problem and see it as a bit of a needless turf war, especially at this late stage. It’s a shame they can’t just run a dozer to the building from the Strang Stores roundabout and lay a temporary shale roadway until they have the funds to do it properly.

Are you the star turn at the opening ceremony? Unveiling a plaque?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

Self-importance.  And, as discussed extensively on MF at the time, because it would mean admitting that they were wrong in setting up vaccination 'hubs' in the first place, rather than relying on temporary centres set up in currently unused buildings (eg Villa) and then once the initial rush was over, using GPs etc for boosters.

Manx Care, like other areas of government, loathes having to do things via independent operators like GPs because it hates dealing with people who aren't completely under its control and it hates dealing with people who might know more than it.  So they will continue to want something that is 'theirs'.

When everyone on the island needed to get it in a short space of time something like that was needed regardless of skirting board issues, but now? There's no one left to jab, and if they must insist on still doing it with absolutely no evidence of any benefit they may as well do it directly at care home and sheltered housing places. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

When everyone on the island needed to get it in a short space of time something like that was needed regardless of skirting board issues, but now? There's no one left to jab, and if they must insist on still doing it with absolutely no evidence of any benefit they may as well do it directly at care home and sheltered housing places. 

I thought they administer vaccinations at care homes and sheltered housing schemes? 

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I thought they administer vaccinations at care homes and sheltered housing schemes? 

Well they should, and that's about all they need to do now. Maybe some high risk people, who they'll know about, who still live independently might need one, but its probably at the point where its easier and cheaper to go to them too than set up a new hub.

• Like 2

If the Roundhouse was completed on time and budget, then the perception would have been different. If BC had got one of the great and good to say use their business to sponsor/naming rights as a way of offsetting the costs, then some of the arguments would be different. Unfortunately things haven’t worked out well and the ratepayers have to bear the cost for a few peoples egos. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has been built, it's in everyone's interest for it to be viable and useful to the wider community.

Had the covid and flu jabs in covid centre a few months ago.

....but if it's falling down then just demolish it 😆🥲

Edited by Kopek

54 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

T

And for the ManxForumers who are on-line (and I can see who you are) - when was the last time you had a vax injection in Chester Street?

never

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

This is the Manx Radio item on the vax hub:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/work-underway-to-find-new-covid-vaccine-hub/

The journalist could have asked

When was it last used

What is the frequency of usage in the 12 months

Is it required only for a once-in-a-century event

And for the ManxForumers who are on-line (and I can see who you are) - when was the last time you had a vax injection in Chester Street?

I don't get why Government hold onto all these sites when they can't spend money on them. Why don't they sell them off? Chester Street, Park Road, Summerland, Quarter bridge, Prison, Albert Road, St Thomas, Chester Street, Fairfield etc.

Edited by Mercenary

42 minutes ago, 2112 said:

If the Roundhouse was completed on time and budget, then the perception would have been different. If BC had got one of the great and good to say use their business to sponsor/naming rights as a way of offsetting the costs, then some of the arguments would be different. Unfortunately things haven’t worked out well and the ratepayers have to bear the cost for a few peoples egos. 

You can’t blame them for a building project going over budget given the date it started.

Its not ideal, but it’s not anyone’s fault.

13 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

I don't get why Government hold onto all these sites when they can't spend money on them. Why don't they sell them off? Chester Street, Park Road, Summerland, Quarter bridge, Prison, Albert Road, St Thomas, Chester Street, Fairfield etc.

They have to ask other departments whether they require the sites for 'strategic purposes'.

It shouldn't take them 50 years to decide whether they want to hold on to the Summerland site.

12 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It shouldn't take them 50 years to decide whether they want to hold on to the Summerland site.

Who owns the site - is it Douglas or is it the gov.?

From a money point of view is it better to keep the site and put into the annual accounts as a value of £X million, rather than admit that the site is unsellable and has zero value?

13 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Who owns the site - is it Douglas or is it the gov.?

From a money point of view is it better to keep the site and put into the annual accounts as a value of £X million, rather than admit that the site is unsellable and has zero value?

The more the population grows, the more the land is worth. This time next year, Rodney...

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Self-importance.  And, as discussed extensively on MF at the time, because it would mean admitting that they were wrong in setting up vaccination 'hubs' in the first place, rather than relying on temporary centres set up in currently unused buildings (eg Villa) and then once the initial rush was over, using GPs etc for boosters.

Manx Care, like other areas of government, loathes having to do things via independent operators like GPs because it hates dealing with people who aren't completely under its control and it hates dealing with people who might know more than it.  So they will continue to want something that is 'theirs'.

The temporary vaccination hub proposal formed part of the pandemic preparedness plan, last updated Jan 2020, that we threw in the bin before we adopted the just follow england mantra.  

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Are you the star turn at the opening ceremony? Unveiling a plaque?

I thought this said “unveiling a plague” for a minute!!

I thought Ashford had a plan to make himself the nations hero again.