Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Have they tried to get a valuation from a surveyor rather than an estate agent?  A valuation threshold of £4m is probably OK for an estate agent, but a proper firm of surveyors? 

12 minutes ago, mayhem said:

Is a valuation not required for a new build commerical property too for Insurance and the lenders (assuming they are using a bank for finance).  Seems very odd that they are struggling given the abundance of £4m+ properties on the Island.

Pretty sure Michael Chapman can value above £4m. Or, if they were interested, and not being put off by having to deal with Braddan Commissioners, estate agents would be able to buy top up cover.

I wonder if the real reason is that it’s worth much less than the £7m+ it’s cost, and the Commissioners don’t want us to know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If I was DoI, I'd seriously look into using this utter farce as a springboard for LA reform.

Starting with disbanding Braddan Commissioners who have proved they're not fit or competent to spend public money on this sort of scale.

• Like 3

Just now, b4mbi said:

If I was DoI, I'd seriously look into using this utter farce as a springboard for LA reform.

Starting with disbanding Braddan Commissioners who have proved they're not fit or competent to spend public money on this sort of scale.

Unlike the DoI of course whose projects are always on time and budget.  Yes they're definitely the people to make the decisions here.

(Their main objection would be that the prices needed another zero on the end)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Pretty sure Michael Chapman can value above £4m. Or, if they were interested, and not being put off by having to deal with Braddan Commissioners, estate agents would be able to buy top up cover.

I wonder if the real reason is that it’s worth much less than the £7m+ it’s cost, and the Commissioners don’t want us to know.

Stupid is as stupid does, but they'll still need a valuation for the accounts.  At most the thing about valuations would get them past the requisition meeting, but that wouldn't explain why the accounts hadn't been finalised long ago.

10 minutes ago, WTF said:

so is the place actually open in any way yet ?   like a cafe or the sports hall or is it just all locked up ??

Sports Hall is open and has been used for at least a few weeks.

There is a big vacant area in the middle where the cafe will go, but no seating etc there yet.  There is a also a big circular meeting room open in the 'tower' which the kids used for snacks after the party. 

Dentists and Nursery have signage, but they're not operating yet due to the access issues holding up the signing of contracts etc.  

I tried snooping around at the weekend when I was there for a kids party in the sports hall.  Looked like majorettes or twirlers or something were after us.  

Edited by The Phantom
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Sports Hall is open and has been used for at least a few weeks.

There is a big vacant area in the middle where the cafe will go, but no seating etc there yet.  There is a also a big circular meeting room open in the 'tower' which the kids used for snacks after the party. 

Dentists and Nursery have signage, but they're not operating yet due to the access issues holding up the signing of contracts etc.  

I tried snooping around at the weekend when I was there for a kids party in the sports hall.  Looked like majorettes or twirlers or something were after us.  

Did they manage to catch you?😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mayhem said:

Seems very odd that they are struggling given the abundance of £4m+ properties on the Island.

That's just the first time buyer properties

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

well quite.. but I understand DoI are responsible for LA's? 

LA reform or DoI reform first?! 

DoI before LAs or it's just out of the frying pan into the fire.  You can see them eying up the rates as another source of income, indeed they seem to have been trying that out when they were demanding that Braddan double their rates.

But Treasury reform is what is needed first of all (after getting rid of Cannan) and stopping the belief that the main purpose of the Manx Government is keeping the construction industry in the style it has become accustomed to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Bunty, it's time to give it up. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Haha 1

Hooper is doing his job .   That road is not sustainable for heavy traffic it is the property of the Manx Hospital Trust and they have to think of patients safety.  The whole concept is a joke and Braddan Commissioners are trying to detract blame by passing the buck .The Commissioners have failed on all sides and even if the Trust turned around and gave them permission to use the road temporarily until they could sort out a proper exit and entry it would still be a joke.     They are going to punish the ratepayers for decades to make up the shortfall between income and outgoings I.e. interest payments  not even taking in consideration any essential repairs and maintenance .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Hasn't Jessopp subsequently moved house anyway to the Laxey area? Can he even stand again if he’s now out of the area? 

12 minutes ago, FANDL said:

Hasn't Jessopp subsequently moved house anyway to the Laxey area? Can he even stand again if he’s now out of the area? 

Don't know about Jessopp moving, but you don't need to live in a local authority area to stand for it. I remember a Port Erin Commissioner who lived in Ramsey and David Christian was leader of Douglas for years while living in Braddan.

• Like 2