Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

34 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably 24 April 2025.  Someone said that Jessopp had moved out of the Parish, so it may be he won't stand again.  Though legally you can stand for a local authority wherever you live on the Island, you just need to have lived here for five years (in your entire life) and not be here illegally.

He's a perfect fit for Onchan Commissioners.

10 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

He has stood,  no one else did and he is back in the job…poor Braddan.    He is not a perfect fit for Onchan Commissioners but the rumour was he had moved to Garff I don’t know how true it is he will fit in fine there.

We've got major systemic issues here with a serious democratic deficit. 

These 'local authority' roles are an irrelevance. There's no need to have so many of them, if any at all. 

It's 2024, not 1824. It doesn't take 3 days to voyage from one end of the Island to another. So it's no surprise nobody is interested in being a commissioner in Braddan or the arse-end-of-nowhere, which is how you end up with people like Jessop, totally unsuited to the role, managing to create £10m white elephants that will be a major economic drain on the island for decades to come. 

• Like 2

Braddan has great facilities and isn’t as busy as Douglas for traffic. It’s a shame people don’t seem to be able to see outside of Douglas. I’m not sure what the community center is for but it looks great whatever it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

Braddan has great facilities and isn’t as busy as Douglas for traffic. It’s a shame people don’t seem to be able to see outside of Douglas. I’m not sure what the community center is for but it looks great whatever it is.

Yes it is great and wonderful facilities on my doorstep without having to travel a mile. However, this facility wasn’t needed, it’s not essential and I certainly didn’t ask for it to be built, and I am sure many other ratepayers didn’t want it building. I’m also sure if a poll of residents was conducted prior to design and planning then the results would say the same thing. The only people that wanted to commission, design and build the Roundhouse was Braddan Commissioners encouraged by various politicos. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Katman said:

From what I understand, Mr Jessop lives somewhere on Clay Head, Baldrine.

Perhaps he could infect Lonan Comissoners with his leftfield eco views?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Unfortunately, this might be a key issue in its success or failure…

Maybe they should tell people what it is, I’m not joking, it looks great but I have absolutely no idea what it’s for 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2bees said:

Maybe they should tell people what it is, I’m not joking, it looks great but I have absolutely no idea what it’s for 😊

It’s on their website & Facebook page I think, not sure all the facilities are open due to the access restrictions. When I looked in about 6 weeks ago the cafe wasn’t open or the pharmacist or dentists, think the sports hall is 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 2bees said:

It is to house the egos of Braddan Commissioners and their clerk.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

When I looked in about 6 weeks ago the cafe wasn’t open

The learning diss training cafe at the greentree? centre in from Oates rd is open, garden stuff as well.

On 6/12/2024 at 7:28 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably 24 April 2025.  Someone said that Jessopp had moved out of the Parish, so it may be he won't stand again. 

It hasn’t stopped him being re-elected as it’s Chairman though according to the recent AGM minutes (which are quite brilliant for many reasons). 

https://braddan.im/download/2024-05-16-public-minutes-annual-general-meeting/?wpdmdl=9487&refresh=666b4cb949c391718308025

Unelected protectionism gone mad. 

IMG_5096.jpeg

Edited by FANDL

I do think Tynwald should consider an Act/amendment to existing Local Government ones to limit the annual rises to rates to install some discipline to the authorities. Braddan must have a massive hole burning in their finances with the Roundhouse still only barely occupied (and mostly untenanted) and various outlays still occuring on it.

Yet there is no hint of difficult choices elsewhere - presumably the rates will just hike double digits again repeatedly (rather than cuts/disposals elsewhere) until they manage to sort their mess.

• Like 1