Braddan Commissioners Community Centre

dilligaf

Update on roundhouse here, no tenants for cafe but in-house staff operating it so assume more expense for ratepayers!

Also sounds like the sports hall is more expensive than NSC so obviously the person running it obviously hasn’t checked out the competition!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/nearly-all-tenants-at-the-roundhouse-will-have-a-lease-agreement-signed-by-summer/

I'd mentioned previously that the sportshall cost was WAY over the NSC.

Checking out the website they've now brought it down to a more realistic rate:

Badminton £12.20 an hour at the NSC / £14.25 at the Roundhouse (was £20 previously).

Not the same / cheaper, but definitely more realistic.

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Update on roundhouse here, no tenants for cafe but in-house staff operating it so assume more expense for ratepayers!

Also sounds like the sports hall is more expensive than NSC so obviously the person running it obviously hasn’t checked out the competition!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/nearly-all-tenants-at-the-roundhouse-will-have-a-lease-agreement-signed-by-summer/

I’ve been up there a couple of times, tried to get information about the gym. I gave up, the website of the new gym operators has zero information. 

2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I'd mentioned previously that the sportshall cost was WAY over the NSC.

Checking out the website they've now brought it down to a more realistic rate:

Badminton £12.20 an hour at the NSC / £14.25 at the Roundhouse (was £20 previously).

Not the same / cheaper, but definitely more realistic.

But you'd expect the NSC to be more 'realistic' ie lower.  Its running is subsidised by the Manx government, so the rates to hire etc should be less, given that Braddan presumably won't be doing the same thing.

1 hour ago, Mistercee said:

It will be interesting to see if they get all the tenancies signed up. Do the Commissioners have the necessary powers to operate a cafe? 

I would imagine so, local authorities used to run all sorts of similar facilities in the past.  Presumably as the designated operator has pulled out, they will have to advertise the concession again and go through the tender process. 

5 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Presumably the money for the repayments against construction of the road was not in the last round of rate hikes? (& another large hike coming?)

1 minute ago, Mercenary said:

Presumably the money for the repayments against construction of the road was not in the last round of rate hikes? (& another large hike coming?)

As a ratepayer I hope not but I can see it coming!

• Like 1

Well. That’s one way of looking at it. It’s DHSC land, they don’t have to give it away, yet they are. That suggests that it’s DHSC that’s trying to find a solution that favours Braddan at the expense of taxpayers

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Well. That’s one way of looking at it. It’s DHSC land, they don’t have to give it away, yet they are. That suggests that it’s DHSC that’s trying to find a solution that favours Braddan at the expense of taxpayers

Maybe that’s because DHSC and Hooper were not entirely truthful with the version of what happened over the access road. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Maybe that’s because DHSC and Hooper were not entirely truthful with the version of what happened over the access road. 

The facts ( unpopular, I know, on here ) don’t fit that narrative.

No easements, rights of way, were granted or reserved when Braddan acquired the land. If they’d wanted, or expected to be able to use Nobles estate roadways that is where and when it’d have been recorded. It’s a public document, deed of conveyance in the Land Registry.

Original planning, and budget included a road access. Braddan ran out of money. Then they “tried it on”.

No fan of Hooper. Understand he’s mealy mouthed and economical with the truth. But Jessop is a total idiot and wholly removed from reality.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No fan of Hooper. Understand he’s mealy mouthed and economical with the truth. But Jessop is a total idiot and wholly removed from reality.

Come off the fence, John!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2