Tim Brooke Taylor

Chinahand

Already mentioned in the Stirling Moss thread, but Tim Brooke Taylor deserves to be commemorated with his own thread.

He's made me laugh all my life, from the Goodies (though the episode which still resonates the most was Bill Oddie's - Eckie Thump) to I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

It's his singing which made me laugh the most - whether singing one song to the tune of another, or pick up song, where they'd start singing along with a famous song, then have the music fade out requiring them to continue unaccompanied until suddenly the they would bring the song back in - he was often within a gnat's crotchet of where he should be.

Good humour, innuendo, puns and music hall japes, with a simple innocent love of entertaining at its core.  Goodness I'll miss his presence.

This virus is really, really shit.

I was talking about the Goodies to a 30 year old friend recently. He knew all the Goodies individually but couldn’t get his head around the birdwatcher Bill Oddie once having been in a comedy group with two radio 4 panel show regulars. And it was one of the biggest shows on telly. 

And I’m like “dude, people my age can’t look at the skyline of London without picturing a Kitten toppling the Nat West Tower.”

The Jack and the Beanstalk one sticks in my mind for some reason.

19 minutes ago, Declan said:

And I’m like “dude, people my age can’t look at the skyline of London without picturing a Kitten toppling the Nat West Tower.”

But it was the Post Office tower. Before the restaurant got bombed. In those days it represented the cutting edge of modern technology. Which is partly why it was funny.

16 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Tim was good on ISIHAC. I used to like The Goodies. I always remember them being on at the time in the evening when Summerland went up.

It's an interesting recollection. But The Goodies were not airing during August 1973.

ETA: I was wrong

Just now, pongo said:

It's an interesting recollection. But The Goodies were not airing during August 1973.

You're our fact-checking cuz!

Yeah it was the one near Goodge Street Station I was picturing, but misnaming.

Archived