Music service and other extra services - expendable post corona?

Destinymoon

Interested to see if post corona we need to look at ditching some of the luxuries of the dept of Ed????

Do we need a dept of Ed music service??

lots of private teachers about could do this at much reduced cost surely?

Have they any worth and how do we know their worth?

Are they ever inspected by the dept along with other extra services like languages?

Time perhaps to reduce the costs?

Yes, interesting teapot, but you do pay for lessons, I don’t see any info though released by govt on an inspection recently to show their worth plus a learned friend whose child was involved with them was telling me they do their own exams so they can kinda make up their own assessment results. Can anyone confirm that one?

Are they actual teachers in Manx and music service, ie they must be doing quite well out of their “trade”.

cost a lot of money to the taxpayer that teapot?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Destinymoon said:

Yes, interesting teapot, but you do pay for lessons, I don’t see any info though released by govt on an inspection recently to show their worth plus a learned friend whose child was involved with them was telling me they do their own exams so they can kinda make up their own assessment results. Can anyone confirm that one?

Are they actual teachers in Manx and music service, ie they must be doing quite well out of their “trade”.

cost a lot of money to the taxpayer that teapot?

Didn't pay for lessons through the school for the young fella, they lent him a violin for two years too. He got a couple of grades and while he's not bothered about the violin anymore he does have an understanding of music sparked from it, and continues to play a couple of other things.

I'm all for as much choice and quality education in schools as possible. Investing in the kids is the right use of taxpayers money, even if some of them leave when they're 20 and don't come back. Give them the best start possible thanks.

• Like 7

Not weird no tail if they are doing exams like geography or re?

But as above when you can do your own exams then it’s kinda easy to make up your worth?

What are they doing now for example? Is this just an elongated holiday on full pay? As they don’t have a school they work out off to provide cover.

You definitely pay for lessons now too! Plus hire of instruments.... my friend was giving off about that and the quality of learning, ie telling me very little!!!! Plus when she sent her child to private lessons they bitched about the in house exams as they had a pupil who was assessed as being brilliant but the music teacher in the school said their performance for gcse was awful..

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Destinymoon said:

Is this just an elongated holiday on full pay?

You definitely pay for lessons now too! Plus hire of instruments.... 

It's hardly a holiday right now though is it?

And if they've started charging for lessons and instrument hire, then maybe that's how they are trying to cut costs. It's certainly the normal IoM Gov approach to savings - simply charge people more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Destinymoon said:

Not weird no tail if they are doing exams like geography or re?

But as above when you can do your own exams then it’s kinda easy to make up your worth?

What are they doing now for example? Is this just an elongated holiday on full pay? As they don’t have a school they work out off to provide cover.

You definitely pay for lessons now too! Plus hire of instruments.... my friend was giving off about that and the quality of learning, ie telling me very little!!!! Plus when she sent her child to private lessons they bitched about the in house exams as they had a pupil who was assessed as being brilliant but the music teacher in the school said their performance for gcse was awful..

Ah...

So it’s personal then.

Interesting. Very interesting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's hardly a holiday right now though is it?

And if they've started charging for lessons and instrument hire, then maybe that's how they are trying to cut costs. It's certainly the normal IoM Gov approach to savings - simply charge people more.

Government savings =increased charges for the rest of us!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gettafa said:

=Destinymoon, do you live next door to a music teacher or something, and their dog is barking or something like that.

I think you need to provide a bit more information regarding the chip currently on your shoulder.

Gettafa, no I just wondered if you still had any wind instruments about as you’re full of hot air ha ha ha

• Sad 1