Music service and other extra services - expendable post corona?

Destinymoon

22 minutes ago, Destinymoon said:

Gettafa, no I just wondered if you still had any wind instruments about as you’re full of hot air ha ha ha

Back in the day I was taught to play a trumpet, and very much appreciate the musical education I was given on the Island, and which I have been able to use and enjoy throughout my life in various places of the world. The musical teaching today is as good as it was then and long may it continue.

Would you like to discuss your particular gripe tonight, it might be interesting.

Being taught to knock a tune out on something and understand the rudiments of musical notation is a fine gift that will enrich the lives of any children exposed to it. As others have opined, I'd cancel RE before I'd touch music.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Being taught to knock a tune out on something and understand the rudiments of musical notation is a fine gift that will enrich the lives of any children exposed to it. As others have opined, I'd cancel RE before I'd touch music.

Nobody’s denying the worth of music at all stu, but interesting you mention RE.

Maybe that’s the case, but in the case of this music service, how many kids do they actually teach as a figure in proportion to the whole school population, and I suppose you then go to how are they selected?

Again, I go back to if there was some info available then we would know but the operation seems veiled in secrecy, even the dept of Ed don’t seem to inspect it as I can find little online to suggest this?

i said before, it all comes down now to pounds shillings and pence and this amongst other things is perhaps a cost that could be done without and what would the real impact be apart from a few pushy parents who force their kids into learning a few notes on an instrument.

And, it’s changed days now from the couple of comments above sharing their positive experiences of which I won’t challenge. That’s good but doesn’t mean it goes on unchallenged as to their cost effectiveness?

Are they the only place you can learn music in?

There’s these boys: https://www.manninmusic.com/

and when you look at this site they even have an employee of music service that works for them!!!! So they must be ok.

Plus peter Norris that teach guitar and other stuff.... And loads of amateur groups that provide free lessons like brass bands, rock band groups etc.

Would it not just be better to give them the opportunity to go into schools and let them sort it all out themselves, pay the staff (probably even the people already in the service) sort the national insurance etc run their own out of school groups etc that are monitored by senior staff in dept of Ed 

And for that matter I’m not just singling out that service alone, there was a chap who was very effective at exposing the smoke and mirrors of schools assessment and their accountability. http://www.positiveactiongroup.org/index.php?option=com_attachments&task=download&id=214

He would be worth a shout on his opinion as to where savings could be made in things that are taught that either could be sorted elsewhere on like a sub contract or done away with with little to no effect to a child’s education.

I’m sure he could tell you the last time these people in music service were inspected?

Your argument stu et al about the worthiness of music is a totally different one than the one I’m making, so let me emphasise, yes music is a good thing!

5 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I believe you can't just cancel RE, it has to go before Tynwald but I could be wrong.

Putting this before Tynwald would give a few MHK's a heart attack, A year before elections and you want them to lose the church vote.

You can see The people prince trying to press the divide buttons simultaneously.

31 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Putting this before Tynwald would give a few MHK's a heart attack, A year before elections and you want them to lose the church vote.

Ayre electorate would be on the streets with burning torches.

• Haha 1

Post corona, there is going to have to be lots of changes right across the board: schools, work, government, family, everything.

Everything.

I see where you are coming from Destinymoon and to an extent agree with what you are saying about music teaching, but there is a shit load of stuff comes first.

Incidentally, learning a musical instrument has been one of the few challenges and pleasures for me this past few weeks.

I think post corona the shift of emphasis in our lives will change and there may well be more of a demand for such as music teachers. And that includes in our schools.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

I believe you can't just cancel RE, it has to go before Tynwald but I could be wrong.

You can see The people prince trying to press the divide buttons simultaneously.

Christianity is not the only religion.

9 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Post corona, there is going to have to be lots of changes right across the board: schools, work, government, family, everything.

Everything.

I see where you are coming from Destinymoon and to an extent agree with what you are saying about music teaching, but there is a shit load of stuff comes first.

Incidentally, learning a musical instrument has been one of the few challenges and pleasures for me this past few weeks.

I think post corona the shift of emphasis in our lives will change and there may well be more of a demand for such as music teachers. And that includes in our schools.

I think about this too. This lockdown has caused a massive slowdown in lifestyle in particular...we're not running around everywhere like blue-arsed flies in the name of keeping up with the Joneses and making other people rich. People will get used to that and might now question why they were doing it before?

If the economy is restarted it may not be quite as easy as some may think to revert to where we were?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Destinymoon said:

There’s these boys: https://www.manninmusic.com/

Who inspects & regulates these people? Do they all have insurance? And s far as I can see there's no mention about any of them having undergone safeguarding training. In fact I don't see any mention at all about any of the sort of thing, you know, that you'd rightly expect a State Education Music Department to adhere to. In fact I'm surprised that both Culture Vannin and the Arts Council are endorsing this website without any mention of accreditation to a standard or appropriate due diligence. It doesn't, of course, reflect on the abilities of the teachers as performers. I have heard two of them perform and very fine musicians they are too.       

12 hours ago, Destinymoon said:

Interested to see if post corona we need to look at ditching some of the luxuries of the dept of Ed????

Do we need a dept of Ed music service??

lots of private teachers about could do this at much reduced cost surely?

Have they any worth and how do we know their worth?

Are they ever inspected by the dept along with other extra services like languages?

Time perhaps to reduce the costs?

There is a music service which co-ordinates everything but the actual lessons are given by private tutors whom go to all the schools, they are paid by the Department.

The cost is subsidised and much cheaper than individual private lessons at home or at the music tutor's place of teaching.