Music service and other extra services - expendable post corona?

Destinymoon

3 hours ago, On The Bus said:

The teaching of Manx in schools should be culled. A dead language. 

As should jobs like the Culture Vannin job that was advertised for a Manx language teacher. It should be left to volunteers to do. 

Sheeint. :whistling:

1 minute ago, Holte End said:

I hope you mean when studing RE.

Holding this view on parts of the island, could see you pressed to death as a heretic.

Indeed, I do mean studying (as opposed to studing.... haven't done that for a while :D). And I've been a heretic for most of my life, at one stage or another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's interesting that these suggestions are about getting rid of the people who do roles that provide a service that people benefit from. I expect the youth service / soundcheck etc will come under pressure too. These can be done by volunteers right? There's loads of amateur coaches on the Island - sack the PE teachers and NSC staff too - replace with willing amateurs giving a couple of hours a week. Of course there'll still need to be inspectors to make sure they're up to standard, safeguarding coordinaters, administraters to make sure the volunteers are sent to the right place and obvious all these adminstrators, inspectors and coordinators are going to need managing. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

There is a music service which co-ordinates everything but the actual lessons are given by private tutors whom go to all the schools, they are paid by the Department.

The cost is subsidised and much cheaper than individual private lessons at home or at the music tutor's place of teaching.

Yes, but that is my point.

why are we subsidising the chosen few through our tax contributions?. It’s hardly facilitating all the students on the island, and it’s not private tutors, I think I am right in stating they are all on teachers pay and conditions so it is costing us in pay, pensions etc etc and as you rightly state the cost may be cheaper than private lessons but why am I paying for it?

You can hardly equate what they do to a teacher involved in planning, teaching, providing cover when required etc etc plus do they get paid for travelling about too??? All very expensive.

easier to call it now and do a tender for the service based on qualifications , child protection cover etc etc

There are plenty of roles around - in education as much as any other department - that are hangovers from the days of plenty.  We've all seen adverts for things like 'national netball coordinator' (I made that up, but it's probably a real one) etc.  Never forget that when the Central Government Office first opened, there weren't enough civil servants to fill it!  I didn't feel under-served by the government in those days, so what has changed?

3 hours ago, gettafa said:

Post corona, there is going to have to be lots of changes right across the board: schools, work, government, family, everything.

Everything.

I see where you are coming from Destinymoon and to an extent agree with what you are saying about music teaching, but there is a shit load of stuff comes first.

Incidentally, learning a musical instrument has been one of the few challenges and pleasures for me this past few weeks.

I think post corona the shift of emphasis in our lives will change and there may well be more of a demand for such as music teachers. And that includes in our schools.

Don’t tell me you finally mastered the guitar. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

There are plenty of roles around - in education as much as any other department - that are hangovers from the days of plenty.  We've all seen adverts for things like 'national netball coordinator' (I made that up, but it's probably a real one) etc.  Never forget that when the Central Government Office first opened, there weren't enough civil servants to fill it!  I didn't feel under-served by the government in those days, so what has changed?

Part of the change (I grant you it’s by no means the full story) is the modern Health and Safety/Corporate Governance type mentality (driven by an increasingly litigious society) where every fucking decision/grant/planning approval/homestay/benefit claim/hospital machine check/pupil assessment/old person mental health review/tax file... and it goes on and on and fucking on, has to be double checked, triple checked, audited, reviewed, sampled, assessed, independently assessed, benchmarked, subject to appeal, reviewed by committee, reported, and bloody assessed again... because if one line is missing from the file some clever arsed lawyer pulls it up, the whole thing is annulled and the entire bloody machine starts again. At some point someone should have/needs to say ‘Bollocks to these new Regulations...they’ll require 14 civil servants to administer them and they’re not bloody needed’. But it’s too late. Way too late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

It's interesting that these suggestions are about getting rid of the people who do roles that provide a service that people benefit from. I expect the youth service / soundcheck etc will come under pressure too. These can be done by volunteers right? There's loads of amateur coaches on the Island - sack the PE teachers and NSC staff too - replace with willing amateurs giving a couple of hours a week. Of course there'll still need to be inspectors to make sure they're up to standard, safeguarding coordinaters, administraters to make sure the volunteers are sent to the right place and obvious all these adminstrators, inspectors and coordinators are going to need managing. 

Absolutely. Isn't it strange how people always want to get rid of things that bring joy and make like worth living? The standard of music in the schools and in society in general on the Island is something we should be proud of. In fact all of the performing arts are a credit. It isn't all about money. There has to be something at the end of the working day that nourishes cultural wellbeing, otherwise we are just machines working in adulation of mammon. I hope we find that subjects such as music, drama and games are the very last things that people want to get rid of. We can simply waste less on other things.

• Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Part of the change (I grant you it’s by no means the full story) is the modern Health and Safety/Corporate Governance type mentality (driven by an increasingly litigious society) where every fucking decision/grant/planning approval/homestay/benefit claim/hospital machine check/pupil assessment/old person mental health review/tax file... and it goes on and on and fucking on, has to be double checked, triple checked, audited, reviewed, sampled, assessed, independently assessed, benchmarked, subject to appeal, reviewed by committee, reported, and bloody assessed again... because if one line is missing from the file some clever arsed lawyer pulls it up, the whole thing is annulled and the entire bloody machine starts again. At some point someone should have/needs to say ‘Bollocks to these new Regulations...they’ll require 14 civil servants to administer them and they’re not bloody needed’. But it’s too late. Way too late.

You're right. How do you get out of it?

1 minute ago, woolley said:

You're right. How do you get out of it?

I honestly don’t know how you pull back from it...I’m all for government transparency, particularly when you look at some of the clowns involved, but the machinery of the state seems to be drowned in process and paper, which have overtaken output and delivery as the purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destinymoon said:

Yes, but that is my point.

why are we subsidising the chosen few through our tax contributions?. It’s hardly facilitating all the students on the island, and it’s not private tutors, I think I am right in stating they are all on teachers pay and conditions so it is costing us in pay, pensions etc etc and as you rightly state the cost may be cheaper than private lessons but why am I paying for it?

You can hardly equate what they do to a teacher involved in planning, teaching, providing cover when required etc etc plus do they get paid for travelling about too??? All very expensive.

easier to call it now and do a tender for the service based on qualifications , child protection cover etc etc

The musicians union have always recognised,that some of the best tutors were  experienced players ,who often had few qualifications,some of the worst bands ive played in comprised of school music teachers with degrees.Ive been involved in many schools youth music theatre shows, in different areas across,where kids do a proper a "musical".The benefit to kids in doing this is  huge,If its properly run, money can be brought back in with ticket sales..so it can be mostly self funding.Rightly or wrongly the ones ive done had, pro musicians playing the score ie. 6 to 10 players.ideally they should step aside if a kid has the talent to do it ,this gives a show a decent soundtrack normally,and allows parts to be played by senior pupils.I bet there are several decent singers/actors right now in the secondary schools.Perhaps this happens already? But to pick music tuition as a waste of money,is a  narrowminded view, believe me,there are real jobs and opportunities in the music industry.Now those " classical studies" i was forced to learn at school, have been very handy, often when changing a wheel,or fitting a shelf up in the kitchen, i quote Medusa, or Perseus,im glad nobody stopped those lessons.

• Like 4