Music service and other extra services - expendable post corona?

Destinymoon

If I was parting with lots of coinage to a business it would be for goods and/or services received. Not for a job justification society in far too many cases.

Take a look around. All these Govt and LA workers laid off on full pay for 3+ weeks so far. And the sky hasn't fallen in. What does that tell you?

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

You should cancel your DD's and pay it by cheque. Weekly. Piss them off.

Or just pay your rates and stop moaning. We are paying about £1200 for a 3 bed semi. That isn’t too bad. If two people want to live on a big 4 bed detached, th3n you pay for what you have. Sometimes size matters. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Or just pay your rates and stop moaning. We are paying about £1200 for a 3 bed semi. That isn’t too bad. If two people want to live on a big 4 bed detached, th3n you pay for what you have. Sometimes size matters:thumbsup:

Not everyone enjoys getting bummed Dilli.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If I was parting with lots of coinage to a business it would be for goods and/or services received. Not for a job justification society in far too many cases.

Take a look around. All these Govt and LA workers laid off on full pay for 3+ weeks so far. And the sky hasn't fallen in. What does that tell you?

Yep hence my original post!

music service, Manx, culture vannin etc etc what are they doing whilst corona is putting us on lockdown??? And that’s before you even look at the top brass over excess!

thats only the start of it too, look at other departments too......people hiding everywhere!

full pay doesn’t come from the trees.

time to bin it!

3 minutes ago, Destinymoon said:

Yep hence my original post!

music service, Manx, culture vannin etc etc what are they doing whilst corona is putting us on lockdown??? And that’s before you even look at the top brass over excess!

thats only the start of it too, look at other departments too......people hiding everywhere!

full pay doesn’t come from the trees.

time to bin it!

Or just bin your sense of superiority. You are just the latest of many people or Alta egos to pass through here and be laughed at

Music education is not about teaching instruments (although that is perhaps part of it). It's about teaching a love of music and exposing people to different styles that they may not have heard elsewhere. It's about showing the form and the structure of the music, how it works and why it works. It's not and should not be simply trumpet lessons.

It's infintely more important than remebering facts to regurgitate. We can't do much else right over here, why don't we double down in music and make our kids the best in Britain? We're hardly spitting out brain surgeons are we?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Destinymoon said:

Yes, but that is my point.

why are we subsidising the chosen few through our tax contributions?. It’s hardly facilitating all the students on the island, and it’s not private tutors, I think I am right in stating they are all on teachers pay and conditions so it is costing us in pay, pensions etc etc and as you rightly state the cost may be cheaper than private lessons but why am I paying for it?

You can hardly equate what they do to a teacher involved in planning, teaching, providing cover when required etc etc plus do they get paid for travelling about too??? All very expensive.

easier to call it now and do a tender for the service based on qualifications , child protection cover etc etc

I could argue I'm an atheist so why do I pay my rates for the churchyard, I nor my family hardly ever use the swimming pool so why pay my rates for that, I only put my bin out once every couple of weeks, why should I pay as much as everyone else....because it's for the greater good and the community that's why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, yootalkin2me said:

I could argue I'm an atheist so why do I pay my rates for the churchyard, I nor my family hardly ever use the swimming pool so why pay my rates for that, I only put my bin out once every couple of weeks, why should I pay as much as everyone else....because it's for the greater good and the community that's why.

Well put.

1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Well put.

Diligaf and yootalkin, you pay rates for a churchyard cause you may end up there someday?
A swimming pool because your kids probably along with ALL other kids learnt to swim there?

And you still use bins?

Bit of a thin argument there but that’s your call.

Do ALL kids get the opportunity to learn a musical instrument? No. 

Do all kids learn Manx, actually they probably do?

Does everyone use the theatre, or gaiety?

Is Culture Vannin used by everyone?

Does everyone use NHS?Yes but what is unnecessary.

Does everyone benefit from DfI? Yes but what could be shed from that that is unnecessary.

Etc etc etc

Lots of questions but it’s not you or I that needs to balance the books, but eventually someone will have to if all the civil servants want to keep getting a pension.

Just watched the news tonight from the other island and they state their economy is predicted to go into a deep depression, with 1 in 10 losing their jobs........Are we going to be any different so there are some serious questions need asked and acted on as without people paying taxes how on earth can we pay for the luxuries?

Blindly keep believing if you want to:(

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Funny, but as a businessman you know full well that there is a limit to the amount Of coins in any denomination can be offered in any payment. Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot ? 

It was a joke, dilli. It's been many moons since I had any involvement in businesses where the punters are likely to turn up with cash in hand. I prefer that they pay remotely so that we don't have to look at them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, woolley said:

It was a joke, dilli. It's been many moons since I had any involvement in businesses where the punters are likely to turn up with cash in hand. I prefer that they pay remotely so that we don't have to look at them. 

An excellent plan!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Destinymoon said:

Diligaf and yootalkin, you pay rates for a churchyard cause you may end up there someday?
A swimming pool because your kids probably along with ALL other kids learnt to swim there?

And you still use bins?

Bit of a thin argument there but that’s your call.

Do ALL kids get the opportunity to learn a musical instrument? No. 

Do all kids learn Manx, actually they probably do?

Does everyone use the theatre, or gaiety?

Is Culture Vannin used by everyone?

Does everyone use NHS?Yes but what is unnecessary.

Does everyone benefit from DfI? Yes but what could be shed from that that is unnecessary.

Etc etc etc

Lots of questions but it’s not you or I that needs to balance the books, but eventually someone will have to if all the civil servants want to keep getting a pension.

Just watched the news tonight from the other island and they state their economy is predicted to go into a deep depression, with 1 in 10 losing their jobs........Are we going to be any different so there are some serious questions need asked and acted on as without people paying taxes how on earth can we pay for the luxuries?

Blindly keep believing if you want to:(

I'll assume you never learned music because there's "bum notes" all over those sentences.