IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I dont really see the point in holidaying in Guernsey, may as well stay here

It’s an option for people who want to try a change of scenery from either island. Hopefully more routes will open up. Ireland would be brilliant. Maybe Jersey gets linked too and a few days in a decent hotel I’m sure will be very tempting to many. I suppose it sort of ruins the staycation strategy though. Stay in a crappy hotel up the drives or maybe wait and get a plane to Jersey and stay at the Grand with it’s pool, spa, outdoor bar and indoor swimming pool. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don’t remember flights to Guernsey before. That article says (or implies) none since 2013

Blue Islands used to fly direct (15 min stop over in Jersey). Stopped in 2013. Hopefully this is just the start of numerous air bridges. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

It’s an option for people who want to try a change of scenery from either island. Hopefully more routes will open up. Ireland would be brilliant. Maybe Jersey gets linked too and a few days in a decent hotel I’m sure will be very tempting to many. I suppose it sort of ruins the staycation strategy though. Stay in a crappy hotel up the drives or maybe wait and get a plane to Jersey and stay at the Grand with it’s pool, spa, outdoor bar and indoor swimming pool. 

The Grand is expensive and was VERY tired the last time I was there.  But that was a few years ago.

The concept of inter island flights and holidays will appeal to some people.  And the business community would probably take advantage because there is still a good bit of travel going on between the islands via the ballache of the UK.

12 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The Grand is expensive and was VERY tired the last time I was there.  But that was a few years ago.

The concept of inter island flights and holidays will appeal to some people.  And the business community would probably take advantage because there is still a good bit of travel going on between the islands via the ballache of the UK.

It’s about options. Hopefully the bubbles will expand. Ireland would be a brilliant option. Amazed they didn’t do a deal there first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

When I go on holiday I dont like to see people from the isle of man. That's why I go on holiday in the first place

I think like that too, and then have bumped into people I've vaguely known in France, Spain, Florida and bloody Vancouver. Us manx get everywhere.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I think like that too, and then have bumped into people I've vaguely known in France, Spain, Florida and bloody Vancouver. Us manx get everywhere.

About 20 years ago we were on a small Greek island and were a bit lost and were arguing over which way to go in the town 

A couple heard us and stopped to help

They said that they spoke English and asked where were from. We said “ a little island called The Isle of Man “ and they said “oh, we are from Laxey :o

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

Yes because that’s exactly what we want. To go back to the dark days of April and May where every nosy busybody in the IOM was reporting their friends and neighbours to the police for anything they could possibly think of. 

IMG_0339-678x381.jpg

• Haha 1

I saw Guernsey is also opening a flight to Grenoble.

This seems like a nice idea, but what happens if someone from France comes in unchecked and all of a sudden Guernsey gets a new case of COVID whilst you're on holiday there through this so called safe bubble? I assume you'll then be forced in to the 14 day quarantine on return that you thought you'd avoided.

Edited by NoTailT

48 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I saw Guernsey is also opening a flight to Grenoble.

This seems like a nice idea, but what happens if someone from France comes in unchecked and all of a sudden Guernsey gets a new case of COVID whilst you're on holiday there through this so called safe bubble? I assume you'll then be forced in to the 14 day quarantine on return that you thought you'd avoided.

Why? One case? 

We have to start moving on. IoM can’t draw up the drawbridge and self isolate for ever. Covid won’t go away.

There are going to be odd cases crop up, even without travel. We haven’t got any live cases, but that’s detected cases, the risk of one case in Guernsey is no different to the risk of someone here not reporting symptoms, not going into isolation, not testing.

We can’t wait for vaccine. May never arrive. We can’t get herd immunity as we haven’t been exposed due to lock down.

We have learned much about protection and treatment. About keeping people and the NHS safe. So step by step. Have testing, track & trace in place. If there’s a huge increase in an area you’ve been to then test on arrival, seven days isolation, test again. Faster, more specific, assessment of risk.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

The first “air bridge” has now been confirmed. Hopefully others follow. If you don’t like the risks it’s probably a good time to sit out summer in the basement eating beans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-53185255

As long as Guernsey States picks up the loss. Aurigny loses £800,000 a month. That’s pre Covid.

• Like 1