IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

So, Jersey became Covid free a week or so ago. Opened the borders to flights from UK. They have about eight cases now. Bermuda became Covid free last week. Started flights from Atlanta. Two cases, both bermudians, flown in and the entire plane  now has to isolate. 

Hopefully both jurisdictions can suppress these cases quickly. A hard lesson to learn. I hope Howard is taking note.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, quilp said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-invited-to-book-stay-at-herm-island/

No mention of any of the restrictions here...

Guernsey news...

https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/07/08/jersey-testing-questioned/

[Can their testing regime be considered 'safe' ?]

As far as I can see the 'air bridge' means that there are no restrictions on those flying from the Isle of Man to Guernsey or vice versa, unlike those arriving by any other means.

I think their testing regime seems quite a sensible one - far better than that being suggested in Jersey.  Covid-19 has an incubation period of about 5 days, so by testing after 7 day, not only will most (except for maybe 10%) of those who are going to develop symptoms be showing them in isolation, but those with few/no symptoms will have had time to develop sufficient viral presence for a sample to test positive if they have the virus. 

Of course it relies on the test being done competently and I'm not sure if Guernsey are doing the double-testing that @rachomics instituted here[1], but there's nothing to say that they're not getting that right.

The problem with testing people on arrival as Jersey seem to be doing (though their regulations have loads of other holes as well) is that the activity that you are most likely to contract infections by doing is travelling.  So someone arriving may have only just contracted the virus in the previous few hours and it may not have developed enough yet to be detected.  They could then be admitted to the country and even if they follow the (non-mandatory) guidelines to self-isolate till they get the test result, they will show negative and then possibly move about infecting others in the following days and maybe weeks.

This is different from the cases (which we have already seen) of people testing positive after arrival and then being quarantined.  That shows the system is working,  providing they have isolated while waiting for the result.  But it's also why all the fellow-travellers of those detected have to go into quarantine as well.

[1]  You split the sample in half and test one half for human DNA markers to see if the swab has been taken correctly.  If it doesn't appear it's unlikely that the viral cells have been picked up as well - even if they are present.  Swabbing correctly is quite difficult (and a bit uncomfortable) to do, which is why the UK figures for Pillar 2 should be treated cautiously.  A lot rely on self-swabbing kits, which are then returned by post and it's not easy for someone not trained to take the sample correctly and not contaminate it.

• Thanks 1

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/07/08/border-checks-in-spotlight-after-passengers-not-tested/

Seems there's a lot of confusion regarding testing on arrival in Jersey. Conflicting advice given to passengers and a slow reaction on tracing travellers possibly infected.

I hope Howie and Ashey are keeping themselves up to date with what's going on over there. 

• Like 1

I’m interested to learn of the plan to re-open the borders at tomorrow’s press briefing.

Looking at the Levels 5 - 1 outline document, there is very little difference between Level 5 (which we have been in since the March lockdown) & Level 3. 

They all require a 14 day self quarantine on return to the Island. 

Something has to fundamentally change in regards to accurate & efficient testing on residents returns from the UK mainland in order to reach Level 2.

I’m also curious to learn of the plan to deal with the inevitable return of the virus to these shores whether the borders are re-opened tomorrow or in a years time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’m interested to learn of the plan to re-open the borders at tomorrow’s pres

Something has to fundamentally change in regards to accurate & efficient testing on residents returns from the UK mainland in order to reach Level 2.

I’m also curious to learn of the plan to deal with the inevitable return of the virus to these shores whether the borders are re-opened tomorrow or in a years time.

Absolutely! The government of the uk have to stop being tits and suppress this thing properly. Then the borders can operate in a more relaxed fashion. At the moment, the U.K. Arc fibbing about their figures. They even reduced the Worldometer total cases by 20,000 last week. Anything to get the economy going. It will mean a second and bigger wave. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Absolutely! The government of the uk have to stop being tits and suppress this thing properly. Then the borders can operate in a more relaxed fashion. At the moment, the U.K. Arc fibbing about their figures. They even reduced the Worldometer total cases by 20,000 last week. Anything to get the economy going. It will mean a second and bigger wave. 

I see there are protests in Serbia now after the reintroduction of restrictions following a second outbreak blamed on the easing of initial restrictions. Which included all shops reopening simultaneously and packed football stadiums for national matches (BBC News).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 2bees said:

I didn't really miss my daughter until there was no date that I could look forward to seeing her :(

I haven't seen my inlaws in over a year now I'm not to fussed but the wife wants to get away. I'm fairly happy with our local situation and we need to keep our border shut until its safe to open. 

• Like 1