IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, Banker said:

IOM has no plan Jersey & Guernsey have implemented their plans to open borders and economies so we will be even more isolated.

thought Skelly had a plan to attract great new businesses?

The biggest obstacle to effective decision making is the forthcoming general election. The main voting demographic I imagine largely corresponds with the more fearful in society.

21 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I agree with your sentiments, as I am also frustrated with watching the slow motion car crash that is unfolding due to the politicisation of the situation, the continued  fear being peddled by the media and frankly the mission creep that has led to the goal of flattening the curve becoming total elimination of the virus. Until the media decides to change direction and set a new agenda we will just have to suck it up I am afraid. Enjoy the fact that we can live in a semblance of normality and let this thing run its course. The pendulum will swing and people will realise that the cure is indeed going to be much worse than the disease, but we are not there yet. 

The tipping point was the end of July and everyone missed it. The longer this drags on the worse it’s going to get. The UK government needs to do what we did and rapidly cut furlough and other schemes to give workers and employers a jolt of reality and then re-configure if unemployment skyrockets. But it can’t keep people in a bubble forever. 

13 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

The biggest obstacle to effective decision making is the forthcoming general election. The main voting demographic I imagine largely corresponds with the more fearful in society.

Guernsey have an election later this year and they are taking decisive actions and they have plenty of the pitchfork brigade there as well but they are considering the whole population and economy 

So fucking move. It is ABSOLUTELY INSANE to complain about the situation we are in when you simply open your eyes and look elsewhere. I do agree though, that there doesn't appear to be much of a plan. But if you don't have a plan, things can't go wrong.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

So fucking move. It is ABSOLUTELY INSANE to complain about the situation we are in when you simply open your eyes and look elsewhere. I do agree though, that there doesn't appear to be much of a plan. But if you don't have a plan, things can't go wrong.

Things must be bad if even you acknowledge there's no plan ! You must be either a civil servant or retired who doesn't need the economy to pick up.

meanwhile unemployment remains high and will get worse unlike Jersey where unemployment has fallen for last 11 weeks.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/islands-unemployment-rate-remains-at-2-6/

• Like 1

Just now, Banker said:

You must be either a civil servant or retired who doesn't need the economy to pick up.

Hahaha yeah, must be.

The local economy seems pretty good to me, loads of work on, even turned some down, everyone I know in similar work is busy, houses are selling, planning applications are flying in, did you see how many people went to the Peel festival or the Nobles Park thing? Even H&B pubs have customers!

And as the manx economy is based on financial stuff and gambling, and thats all basically online, I'd imagine these sectors which I generally know little about are probably doing pretty well too.

I think you're mad Banker.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Hahaha yeah, must be.

The local economy seems pretty good to me, loads of work on, even turned some down, everyone I know in similar work is busy, houses are selling, planning applications are flying in, did you see how many people went to the Peel festival or the Nobles Park thing? Even H&B pubs have customers!

And as the manx economy is based on financial stuff and gambling, and thats all basically online, I'd imagine these sectors which I generally know little about are probably doing pretty well too.

I think you're mad Banker.

Tell that to the very large number of unemployed which will be increasing as support schemes end

40 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Hey, listen. I've enjoyed the last few weeks as much as anybody. Been out and about all over the Island enjoying our freedoms and wonderful weather, it's been fantastic.

This is about real long term damage being done to the economy, which unfortunately many do not appear to grasp. A few pubs & restaurants doing well because they have a captive audience who are unable to travel without penalty might give those of lesser intelligence a false impression that all is well & will remain so. The stark reality will begin soon & it will get tough, very tough.

Thankfully there is an opportunity or window to lessen the burden or negate the losses if brave decisions are taken in the next couple of weeks. We need politicians who can see past the fictitious doomsday scenario where they believe everyone is going to die of this thing and have the minerals to lead and enact a border reopening plan that allows unrestricted movement with a testing regime in place to mitigate risk. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

300,000? Really? Sounds very optimistic to me. Are these more "Skelly Figures"?

And does this figure arise from returning residents being classed as tourists too? :lol: