IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Cascarino said:

Zoom etc is a great tool but no substitute for face to face in a relationship business. I fully support border restrictions, but it has to be risk based and done in a sensible manner. If it carries on for much longer we will need to relocate from the island.

Me too. I have already started looking at properties in UK and elsewhere. That bit of water can be a blessing and curse in equal measure.  

6 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

When the border opens the risk of Covid infection will be from the IOM. residents who for whatever reason will leave and then return. Also relatives of IOM coming over. Tourist and business visitors will be a smaller number.

These numbers need to be worked out and an effective testing process to match. 

Can we deal with a boat load of people being tested on arrival? 

Airport arrivals are smaller but how about an ez flight from LPL and LGW at the same time?

Maybe our Gov representatives need to visit Jersey and Guernsey to see how it is done.

This is the planning that is needed and evaluated so that people can leave and return with confidence and that those who don’t also can be as safe as possible.

Or do we just open the doors And get the masks on.

My response would be open the doors and not do more than encourage common sense, good hygiene and handwashing, whilst giving the vulnerable the option to shield with government support. But in reality we will go back to a bureaucratic, over zealous fear induced regime. 

Another issue is that the borders open and you get a call from track and trace that you have been in contact with some who has tested positive and you now have to have a test, Q for 7 days and then take test. That would up the tension a good few points from where are today.

Again a details plan needs to be published.

9 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Another issue is that the borders open and you get a call from track and trace that you have been in contact with some who has tested positive and you now have to have a test, Q for 7 days and then take test. That would up the tension a good few points from where are today.

Again a details plan needs to be published.

Seems to be working well in Jersey and Guernsey adopting similar plan but for 7 days isolation to start then reducing later 

31 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Just for the crac I had a look at property in Jersey and Guernsey. Restrictions aside it is expensive and cost of living is at least 15% up on U.K. 

The cost of living isn’t that bad from people I have spoken to. No VAT on eating out or high value purchases either - but most property you can’t buy without getting permits to reside which is what I assume is driving IOM property interest at the moment as you can’t just move to either Jersey or Guernsey and automatically buy or have the right to stay there all year round. If I was looking around a business centre I’d be looking at outskirts of somewhere like Leeds. Good value property and less densely populated than Manchester as a city which will be better for social distancing and a place that is really starting to bounce in terms of professional services, IT and other things the IOM is known for. It does make sense to have a base in more than one country now this absolute clusterfuck is unraveling. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

2 hours ago, Cascarino said:

As a concrete example, my previously profitable company ran a loss for the first six months of the year and is eating in to reserves to keep staff employed. No government help has been given. The outlook for the rest of the year is not much better as our client base is not on the IOM. Pipeline for 2021 is drying up as no client development has been possible.

Zoom etc is a great tool but no substitute for face to face in a relationship business. I fully support border restrictions, but it has to be risk based and done in a sensible manner. If it carries on for much longer we will need to relocate from the island.

But how much would relocation help?  Is the work drying up because people can't travel or because opportunities in the business are on hold wherever you are?  Or are there other factors that may be moving business around - relating to Brexit for example?   I genuinely curious to know

I understand people's frustration, but it seems to me that economies are being hit just as hard, if not harder, in countries that are refusing to take many precautions as in those that are.

Travel is way down for sure but business activities are carrying on. I am getting daily calls from clients letting me know they are now travelling, with expectations that I can do the same and arrange to meet. Lack of activity has been the cause of the losses for the first six months but that is not the case now. The rest of the world is moving on (albeit in a stilted way with some quarantining along the way) and there is a pent up demand to move forward. It is about risk management now. The courts have shown they are not shy about prosecuting which will keep an element of discipline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In terms of relocation. That would be a major pain and not something that appeal greatly, but moving half of the workforce to somewhere that would allow controlled movements is definitely on the cards.

Edited by Cascarino
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

We currently have no cases. That isn't going to be the case medium or long term. It’s clearly not going to be the case as the loosely policed 14 day voluntarily self isolation together with all the “key workers” wandering around has no real integrity attached to it. Neither is the totally misplaced belief that the border is closed going to stop transmission. A system of actual testing and tracing will be far more effective and shorten the self isolation period making business travel more viable as well. What could possibly be wrong with that? You seem to be happy to argue that apples are actually pears. The system we have will see covid back. It is just a matter of time as any MHK you speak to will freely admit so we need to find a better way and this is where pandering to the covid crackpots is holding us back as it’s stopping any progress on moving to better systems because most of the crackpots can’t possibly think beyond repeating the tired (and incorrect) mantra that “the border is closed and so we’re now safe”. 

I think you will find we go to the optional seven days and test scenario in about three weeks. It n other words, after the schools here and across go back in. This will seriously limit the number of people who want to take trips. 

Jerseys test on arrival is ok, but it can take an hour to get tested and out of the airport. And that is with a handful of flights a day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The cost of living isn’t that bad from people I have spoken to. No VAT on eating out or high value purchases either - but most property you can’t buy without getting permits to reside which is what I assume is driving IOM property interest at the moment as you can’t just move to either Jersey or Guernsey and automatically buy or have the right to stay there all year round. If I was looking around a business centre I’d be looking at outskirts of somewhere like Leeds. Good value property and less densely populated than Manchester as a city which will be better for social distancing and a place that is really starting to bounce in terms of professional services, IT and other things the IOM is known for. It does make sense to have a base in more than one country now this absolute clusterfuck is unraveling. 

Although they don't have vat, they do have GST which is 5% on nearly everything, including food etc. At supermarkets. 

10 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I think you will find we go to the optional seven days and test scenario in about three weeks. It n other words, after the schools here and across go back in. This will seriously limit the number of people who want to take trips. 

Jerseys test on arrival is ok, but it can take an hour to get tested and out of the airport. And that is with a handful of flights a day. 

I agree but actually it will increase the number of people who want to take trips as they will feel more confident in doing so and waste less time in quarantine. People won’t care about the costs even if they charge for the tests. It’s about the stupid voluntary 14 days non tested isolation that’s stopping people from traveling more frequently at the moment. Once testing comes in numbers will go up not down. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Skelly in the media saying the tourist/ hospitality sector is missing the average 300,000 people that come here on average a year.

300K? If we get 30-40k in TT and the place looks busy, no hotels with rooms, where are these 260,000 people the rest of the year??

Something does not stack up. You would think with our location and very limited means of access we could get some accurate arrival figures. I tend to think they like to keep it vague to cover a multitude of wasted money operations.

• Thanks 1