IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes I’m fully aware of that fact but I’m not sure any of the “the borders are closed brigade” do. I bumped into someone I went to school with the other week. Hadn’t seen them for a while but then again they did leave the IOM in 1998 but now they’re apparently back due to covid. That’s open borders. Plenty coming for work too. Which is why we need more robust controls rather than assuming everyone is going to comply just because they’ve signed a bit of paper and then read a report of some silly old codger jailed for six weeks because they’re nosy neighbour dropped them in the shit. 

They still need to get a permit though. A family member flew back to the isle of man from London city a few days ago..( Manx resident and was working overseas )

These were the checks

1. Isle of man Landing form  had to be shown when she went to check in and the check in staff were in contact with isle of man authorities.iD check also done .( you do not usually need an ID to travel on BA )

2 . Landing form checked at the gate before departing London city 

3. Landing form checked at arrivals in the isle of man ( they already had a list with her name on it) as she had declared that she was arriving on that particular flight 

4. She had a phone call from NHS111 the next day to make sure she understood what she had to do.

I suspect that the ferry also has something similar. 

As long as people are only able to come here with permits ( yes there will be some with tenuous connections who will exploit the system )  and self isolate then I do not see the problem. 

Obviously the penalties that you will face will act as a deterrent and there are many examples so far.

You cannot reduce the risk to zero whatever we do. 

What is more scary is the risk of spread from those who have been given exemption from self isolating.  Not everyone has been even tested prior to working. 

Some have had a test on arrival and then been allowed to work with a mask on. That's the scary bit. 

Edited by mad_manx

12 hours ago, finlo said:

No dreams or imagination I'm a realist.

Indeed:

• Only a faint chance of a vaccine by Easter 2021
    • It would be irresponsible to organise a mass spectator event until Covid is under control
  • Wise people will not be packing into floating / flying virus containers where there's sod-all prospect of social distancing
    • Fewer people ==> fewer marshals
  • Lack of finance available for some of the teams

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

Having a Manx NI number qualifies you as a resident, no matter that you might have been away since you went to university in the 1980s. 

I'm not sure that's strictly true. Having a Manx NI is the result of applying for a NI number while living on the island. Residency and right to work without a permit a different matter.

• Being a UK citizen I can move at any time
  • If I spend 183 days in a tax year on the island then I'm resident
  • Having been educated on the island I don't need a work permit

Reading number of forums from the UK people are getting tested due to their jobs, work offshore etc and are being confirmed as having covid even though they have no symptoms. More testing in the UK will obviously reveal more cases. It wouldn't be a massive surprise to me if people on the island have covid but just dont know. 

A friend of mine has been in quarantine for 8 days after a visit to the uk, developed symptoms went out for a test results back the next day no covid but still has to quarantine for the 14 days. Seems madness to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Reading number of forums from the UK people are getting tested due to their jobs, work offshore etc and are being confirmed as having covid even though they have no symptoms. More testing in the UK will obviously reveal more cases. It wouldn't be a massive surprise to me if people on the island have covid but just dont know. 

A friend of mine has been in quarantine for 8 days after a visit to the uk, developed symptoms went out for a test results back the next day no covid but still has to quarantine for the 14 days. Seems madness to me. 

Yes,

You can be young, fit and have Covid without exhibiting symptoms. The only way to know what's really happening is qualified random testing.

12 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Yes,

You can be young, fit and have Covid without exhibiting symptoms. The only way to know what's really happening is qualified random testing.

And that's my point were being told about infection rates but shouldn't it be hospital admission/death rates were concentrating on? 

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

I'm not sure that's strictly true. Having a Manx NI is the result of applying for a NI number while living on the island. Residency and right to work without a permit a different matter.

I don’t know the finer details, I’m just using my daughter’s experience of acquiring her entry permit - the Manx NI number made it easy. 

Just a thought but what happens when you have been tested? Irrespective of the outcome does the result get put into your medical records or is it just held on a separate database which at some point gets erased. It seems this piece of medical information gets shared with the police at the moment which opens up the question of confidentiality.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

183 days is a tax requirement only and doesn't necessarily apply for any other purpose.

Going to school in the IOM doesn't mean you don't need a permit. You qualify as an Isle of Man worker as follows https://www.gov.im/categories/working-in-the-isle-of-man/work-permits/definitions/isle-of-man-worker/

There are nine separate ways that a person can be an 'Isle of Man worker'. An 'Isle of Man worker' is an individual:

• who was born in the Isle of Man
  • who has at any time been ordinarily resident in the Isle of Man for an unbroken period of at least 5 years ending on or after 1 October 2015
  • who is the spouse or civil partner of an Isle of Man worker and is entitled to remain in the Island under immigration law
  • who was the spouse or civil partner of an Isle of Man worker, was living in the Isle of Man immediately before the death of the Isle of Man worker, and has lived in the Island ever since
  • who was the spouse or civil partner of an Isle of Man worker, had lived in the Isle of Man for an unbroken period of at least 3 years immediately before being divorced and has lived in the Island ever since
  • whose parent is (or was immediately before death) an Isle of Man worker, if at the time of the child’s birth the parent, or the parent’s spouse or civil partner, was serving in the armed forces
  • whose parent was born in the Isle of Man and lived in the Isle of Man for his or her first 5 years
  • whose grandparent was born in the Isle of Man and lived in the Isle of Man for his or her first 5 years
  • who:
    (a) was, for an unbroken period of at least a year:
         (i) under 23 years old
         (ii) ordinarily resident in the Island
         (iii) in full-time education
    (b) has lived in the Isle of Man since the end of that period, and
    (c) is the child of a person who during that period was:
         (i) an Isle of Man worker
         (ii) an exempt person in regular full-time employment
         (iii) the holder of a work permit

References to relationships include adoptive and step relationships.

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

They had 10,000 antibody tests. The sampling doesn’t finish until end August. Better picture once finished and analysed

Just now, John Wright said:

They had 10,000 antibody tests. The sampling doesn’t finish until end August. Better picture once finished and analysed

Didn't realise they were going as far as 10K. The results should be an interesting read and I wonder what impact they will have on opening up the Island more.