IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

52 minutes ago, pongo said:

An airline which uses a well maintained fleet of Airbus should be a minimum requirement though right?

Surely nobody wants to go back to the various horrible crates which Flybe were using. Or, even worse, to the days of Manx Airlines.

For economic reasons the props win hands down on short regional flights. Jets are expensive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Liverpool never mentioned, always Gatwick. Read the articles!

Banker, if you actually read my post that you replied to, you would see that I asked for a link, which was kindly posted. The talk if Gatwick is as a temporary solution. Maybe you missed that? 

Radio interviews on Tuesday (iirc), had Howie and several others talking about Liverpool and patient transfer. No mention of Gatwick, but possibly picking up other route that were lost with Flybe. 

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

A big few days coming up for Quayle & his cohorts.

Time to shit or get off the pot in terms of where we are going with this madness.

A lot to consider with business travel, hospitality, University students, family, sporting clubs etc all having their circumstances impinged on the back of the likelihood of zero hospital admissions if we were to open up & test properly.

The penny is dropping for many, aside the work shy, stay at home sorts (and those seeking re-election).

Those seeking re-election.   Well, that's the issue isn't it?   Too terrified of the paranoid and the hysterical social media Hitlers to even consider an alternative border policy to 'keep em out'.  As has been said before, when did we move from protecting hospital resources to 'noone must get covid - ever?'    God forbid anyone is removed from the trough for actually making a decision!   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pongo said:

Those are exactly the sort of logistical gaps which we should be continually exploiting and developing.

Sure but you then have to accept it is a short term solution and that the timing of the flights may be far from ideal for the Island.

1 hour ago, winnie said:

Pre Covid, Easy Jet flights to gatwick were nearly always full. Easyjet set the prices, the planes are only on the ground for an hour on iom, so how would they find a more lucrative flight as they had over 300 passengers in less than four hours!! They must make a bomb over the TT and Manx fortnight's as most flights are over £100 each way.

They probably do make a lot from the Isle of Man routes and flights to Gatwick in particular may be popular.  If they could get the planes onto routes which would be more popular and therefore be able to charge more then they will not hesitate to do so.

My experience of EJ is to/from Liverpool John Lennon and while the flights seem to be full the times are a nuisance and getting to and from Liverpool John Lennon is not ideal when compared to other airports such as Manchester which is easily accessed from the Motorway and has good rail and tram links on top of the bus services and taxis. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Sure but you then have to accept it is a short term solution and that the timing of the flights may be far from ideal for the Island.

All solutions are short term when it comes to the economics of flights. It would be really dumb to build a bespoke solution.

Basically it's going to mostly be about leisure as business travel becomes less and less a thing.

EasyJet have provided an excellent service. Modern planes etc. And Gatwick has always made much more sense than Heathrow.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 2

@pongo I can't argue with the assessment that Gatwick makes sense as a destination, however, what will travel be like from other UK Airports when the borders re-open?  For me a connection to Manchester is very important (I can just about put up with Liverpool but its not ideal).  

As for a short-term approach I understand that air travel can be unpredictable but the Island does need to ensure that it has good connections with our neighbouring Islands for both leisure and business travel (both ways). 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I thought if airlines advertise a schedule and didn't at least operate a certain number flights of that schedule then the slots are thrown open to others? 

I dont think slots are an issue in Manchester and IOM isn't slot controlled apart from race days during TT?

• Like 1