IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I'm pretty good at cryptic crosswords etc, but I can't work out what that is.  Any further clues? Is there a list of banned words somewhere we need to avoid?

We affectionately knew Ballamona as the l....ney bin. Hope I don't get shot for that.

1 minute ago, NoTail said:

We affectionately knew Ballamona as the l....ney bin. Hope I don't get shot for that.

A common enough phrase, and fairly innocuous in my opinion, akin to 'nuthouse', or talking about 'men in white coats'.  Are these phrases now considered offensive, even in a colloquial setting?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, wrighty said:

A common enough phrase, and fairly innocuous in my opinion, akin to 'nuthouse', or talking about 'men in white coats'.  Are these phrases now considered offensive, even in a colloquial setting?

Only for the certain few... others get away with proverbial murder

19 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

Which language specifically given that I have only made a few posts above in the last few weeks as I was banned for suggesting that many people posting fear and spreading general panic and false information in relation to Covid are bordering on being obsessive lunatics. That doesn’t seem to be a popular view on here which seems to prefer posts being about doom and gloom so we all might finally believe we’re going to die if the borders open up again. So no not on my follow list at all. The messiah comments come from seeing how many people re-share those Tweets like they’re gospel.

19 hours ago, rachomics said:

For info, I don't have to be involved with COVID19 on the Island, don't need the money, don't need the hassle or the trolling, don't need the time away from my own company and don't need the hundred-hour weeks I've had to work for the last six months to do both jobs. Yet I'm still helping because I know the alternative would be a return to testing in the UK on a 3 day+ turnaround for results at significant financial cost to the IoM. If that means people think I have a "messiah complex" then so be it; click the "unfollow" button and get on with your life. I'm aware of the input I've had and I'm quite rightly proud of it.

The fact I'm involved is not the reason we're testing the numbers we are; I used to work in a DNA testing lab capable of 20k tests per week and it's that know-how the government are benefiting from currently. The testing setup is providing much more capacity than is currently being used. I don't get to decide who gets tested, or when, I just make sure we have the capacity to test whoever the medics decide.

18 hours ago, John Wright said:

You were suspended, first for trolling, gratuitous insults and disparaging remarks. On your return you started a further tirade of abusive behaviour. Second suspension followed, as night follows day.

You can’t help yourself. You’ve started again. You’ve had lots of rope given to you. You seem very good at making your own nooses. I’m ready to act as hangman.

Gentle reminder. You’re on your final warning. Grow up. This is an official moderation warning. It’s final and does not require any answer or challenge.

17 hours ago, Neil Down said:

As flounces go, not the best we've seen on here...

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I think the problem is that you sometimes use strong adjectives in putting down people who you disagree with? John gave me a short ban for using an old colloquialism for Ballamona in a joking way, even though Ballamona is no longer the mental health facility. Suggesting mental health issues, for example, now seems to be a no no, understandably. I'm becoming a dinosaur by the day!

I guess using more suitable adjectives would be my suggestion, I always try to do this, and not rise to the baiting. I've never taken pleasure in making others uncomfortable but there are those who do, it makes them feel important!

There are, I think, few people that have as strong an opposition to the Covid repression as me. It doesn’t take a great libertarian to be concerned about political repression around the Covid-19 crisis and I see animosity on the matter as understandable and unavoidable; when the government comes up with imbecile policies such as the “one form of exercise per day for the purpose of protecting the NHS”. And in how many other civilised jurisdictions there have been so many jail sentences for Covid-related offences? At the least in Guernsey they let you off with a fine.

Testing on a larger scale is perhaps a way to alleviate the travel restrictions, as the Jersey case shows. I don’t think it can achieve that for the UK, and even less for continental Europe or the US, but on a much smaller island, it can return a payoff.

Barking at Ms Glover is going to achieve little; if the IOM government had asked for testing on a much larger scale, it was just a matter of procuring the necessary equipment and she would have known how to deliver that. Furthermore, as a government contractor, she has little choice other than toeing the government line. The buck stops with the IOM government.

But, I say this to John Wright: CoMin has done a good job at stifling debate on their Covid-19 policies; and IOM media are pretty much the definition of sycophancy. For those who find the restrictions unbearable, there must be an outlet somewhere. Or shall we organise a terrorist group? At the least in Germany there have been well organised protests assisted by high-profile interventions. I never had any social media presence or interest; I started this thread as an outlet for my anger at what the government was doing; when I heard David Ashford on one of those Manx Radio briefings complaining about social media, then I knew what to do, he gave me the idea, basically he invited it. Precisely, he was complaining and blaming about an absurd story, the NSC being used as a temporary mortuary facility for Covid fatalities in the isle, a proposition so utterly absurd that should not have been given any currency, if he wasn’t so pathetic. He was the one lecturing us on the Covid narrative from the WHO’s web page, as if researching a more independent source, any form of independent thinking actually, was too much effort for him.

British people have really been covid-pussies. And there will be a very high price to pay, on the economic side of things. The left is sitting pretty comfortably with that perspective because it thinks that it will bring much heavier taxation to bear on the rich as unavoidably as night follows day (and that whole idea is one of the reasons we have had the lockdown in the first place). Sure, the middle class will pay, which entails slimmer paychecks for many government employees; sorry! It is becoming apparent that the pandemic is accelerating trends, especially on the technological side, that were already firmly in place; there is no evidence that it is acting as an equaliser. In this technological, globalised world, higher taxes on the middle/upper class would only reduce the Gini coefficient if they were to be set at extreme levels; suppressing growth far too much. The left doesn’t seem to understand it. Many lefties don’t really know how the system works. Or they live in fantasy world in which people, they think, can be changed.

Unsure what the crisis will bring to the Isle of Man in the longer term. The isle is positioning itself in respect to the UK, and with the UK the bar of governance is going to be set so low that on a relative basis local businesses may even take advantage, if the IOM government allows it. It depends on whether or not the consensus based policies of the island allow to have prosperity as a priority. The economy of the Crown dependencies really took off in the seventies when the UK was going down the drain; in those dark ages of financial repression.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Some would argue that people are more important than money, that the 'unbearable' restrictions were tolerated by the vast majority, and that there is a fine line between being a libertarian and being selfish. The idea that people are not able to change is commonly held by blinkered individuals: Javert had this attitude in the novel Les Miserebles, and when he realised his error he jumped into the Seine: other rivers are available.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Filippo said:

There are, I think, few people that have as strong an opposition to the Covid repression as me. It doesn’t take a great libertarian to be concerned about political repression around the Covid-19 crisis and I see animosity on the matter as understandable and unavoidable; when the government comes up with imbecile policies such as the “one form of exercise per day for the purpose of protecting the NHS”. And in how many other civilised jurisdictions there have been so many jail sentences for Covid-related offences? At the least in Guernsey they let you off with a fine.

Testing on a larger scale is perhaps a way to alleviate the travel restrictions, as the Jersey case shows. I don’t think it can achieve that for the UK, and even less for continental Europe or the US, but on a much smaller island, it can return a payoff.

Barking at Ms Glover is going to achieve little; if the IOM government had asked for testing on a much larger scale, it was just a matter of procuring the necessary equipment and she would have known how to deliver that. Furthermore, as a government contractor, she has little choice other than toeing the government line. The buck stops with the IOM government.

But, I say this to John Wright: CoMin has done a good job at stifling debate on their Covid-19 policies; and IOM media are pretty much the definition of sycophancy. For those who find the restrictions unbearable, there must be an outlet somewhere. Or shall we organise a terrorist group? At the least in Germany there have been well organised protests assisted by high-profile interventions. I never had any social media presence or interest; I started this thread as an outlet for my anger at what the government was doing; when I heard David Ashford on one of those Manx Radio briefings complaining about social media, then I knew what to do, he gave me the idea, basically he invited it. Precisely, he was complaining and blaming about an absurd story, the NSC being used as a temporary mortuary facility for Covid fatalities in the isle, a proposition so utterly absurd that should not have been given any currency, if he wasn’t so pathetic. He was the one lecturing us on the Covid narrative from the WHO’s web page, as if researching a more independent source, any form of independent thinking actually, was too much effort for him.

British people have really been covid-pussies. And there will be a very high price to pay, on the economic side of things. The left is sitting pretty comfortably with that perspective because it thinks that it will bring much heavier taxation to bear on the rich as unavoidably as night follows day (and that whole idea is one of the reasons we have had the lockdown in the first place). Sure, the middle class will pay, which entails slimmer paychecks for many government employees; sorry! It is becoming apparent that the pandemic is accelerating trends, especially on the technological side, that were already firmly in place; there is no evidence that it is acting as an equaliser. In this technological, globalised world, higher taxes on the middle/upper class would only reduce the Gini coefficient if they were to be set at extreme levels; suppressing growth far too much. The left doesn’t seem to understand it. Many lefties don’t really know how the system works. Or they live in fantasy world in which people, they think, can be changed.

Unsure what the crisis will bring to the Isle of Man in the longer term. The isle is positioning itself in respect to the UK, and with the UK the bar of governance is going to be set so low that on a relative basis local businesses may even take advantage, if the IOM government allows it. It depends on whether or not the consensus based policies of the island allow to have prosperity as a priority. The economy of the Crown dependencies really took off in the seventies when the UK was going down the drain; in those dark ages of financial repression.

Most lefties that I know are of the champagne variety.

3 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

The idea that people are not able to change is commonly held by blinkered individuals: Javert had this attitude in the novel Les Miserebles, and when he realised his error he jumped into the Seine: other rivers are available.

There's not a big enough river in the IOM, but there is a boat in the morning.......

38 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

Some would argue that people are more important than money, that the 'unbearable' restrictions were tolerated by the vast majority, and that there is a fine line between being a libertarian and being selfish. The idea that people are not able to change is commonly held by blinkered individuals: Javert had this attitude in the novel Les Miserebles, and when he realised his error he jumped into the Seine: other rivers are available.

People are obviously more important than money, but money is required to look after those people, so it is a case of balance. In the early days where we were entering the unknown the pendulum quite rightly swung to caution and ‘people’, however, for reasons I cannot quite fathom, although political cowardice and mission creep spring to mind, the pendulum is not really swinging back. Politicians need to take a good long look at themselves, and then be bold and do what is right for the island, not what will get them re-elected. Lots of test and tracing, resources into NHS and shielding to cater for those that really need it, whilst allowing everyone to get on with it without masks, SD and the other bureaucratic nonsense that is beloved of government.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Filippo said:

A truly brilliant post.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Howard is to address the nation on Thursday. Get your masks now.

It will be more of the same. 

Congratulate the Manx people, key workers etc for their diligence & restraint before making a song & dance about reducing the quarantine period to 7 days.

He’ll then ask the media for some heavily vetted & not particularly challenging questions before signing off with ...

... see you all again in the New Year. Merry Christmas everybody.

Fingers crossed he'll wear a suit that fits him...

rumour has it that he went in to buy a suit in Marks and Spencer. He asked the salesman if they had one that fitted him. the salesman replied if we have, somebody is getting sacked